Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By Noe
  • 7 Post By Noe
  • 1 Post By Noe

Thread: Kanger K-Box 40w & Horizon Arctic Sub - Ohm tank Review

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Kanger K-Box 40w & Horizon Arctic Sub - Ohm tank Review

Recently, Myvapedeal contacted me asking if I would like to review some products for them.
    Since I am writing this review, you probably can guess that I agreed.
    The products were sent free for review but this in no way will affect my honest opinion in this review.

Shipping from MyVapeDeal - Vape Quality at The Best Price was quite fast, taking 6 days to arrive to my door. I asked Myvapedeal about this & was informed that this is their REGULAR FREE SHIPPING, I find this to be fantastic.
    So if you make an order with them, it should arrive quickly.
    Also, they have free coupons, worth $50 US, which they give to anyone that signs up to receive email notices. These come in the form of 10 x $5 coupons which can be used on any purchase of $20 or more but there is a catch, you can only use 1 of these coupons per month.
    The K-box from MVD is currently $28.70US & can be found here:
    Authentic KangerTech KBOX 8-40W VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - Hot Products
    The Arctic Tank from MVD is currently $26.99US & can be found here:
    Authentic HORIZON TECH ARCTIC TANK SUB OHM 0.5 & 0.2 OHM BTDC COILS AIR CONTROL - MyVapeDeal

The K-box:

Strangely, this is not as bad as I thought it would be, however after having tried it, many of my concerns about it before having tried it were confirmed.
    For a cheap 40W device, if you are on a budget, this isn't the worst choice you could make for yourself but I think Kanger could make improvements in a revised version, without adding a lot to the cost.
    I like the feel of it in the hand, it is light & comfortable to hold, yet still feels sturdy enough to knock about a bit.

Construction:
    The main body is made of anodised aluminium, the top plate, holding the 510 & bottom plate are I believe made of coated Stainless Steel, as is the battery cap.
    The battery cap houses what appears to be a brass spring, which seems thick enough to carry the current needed at 40W without causing problems.
    The top plate has a cross shaped air channel cut over the 510 connection & has "KBOX" stamped or engraved into it.
    The 510 itself has a SS neg thread & a spring loaded pos pin, I have had no problems screwing or unscrewing atomisers on it.

The fire button is well placed & easily used in either hand, it is quite small but easy to find since it protrudes sufficiently.
    Below the fire button there are 2 rows of 7 LEDs, the row on the left indicates battery power remaining, the row on the right indicates the wattage setting. When the battery is fully charged all 7 LEDs will be lit when firing the mod, as battery life decreases, less LEDs will light up.
    Wattage setting is changed with a tiny button below the LEDs, at first I wasn't sure I'd like like the size of it but after having put the mod through it's paces, it's size seems to be about right. It is difficult to accidentally click this button while using the device to vape but easy enough to use when you want to change wattage settings.
    On the side of the body there is a "K" logo cut out, that also serves a purpose for battery venting.

Battery cap threading:
    The threading out of the box is a little crunchy & squeaky, it is also rather tight, it needs a good clean before putting the K-box to use.
    To do this, put a drop of PG on the threads, with no battery installed, then work the threads while pressing downwards on the cap, this will remove a lot of burs & grit that is lodged in the threads.
    Clean the threads out with a tissue, you will notice a lot of blackened crud & then repeat, the tissue will look cleaner this time.
    Finally add a drop of PG to the threads or conductive grease would be better & they will be much less squeaky or tight when you have the battery installed.

Wattage Settings:
    These are the biggest let down of the K-box design.
    There are 7 settings, one corresponding to each RHS LED & from the bottom up read 8, 13, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40. While at the higher end, above 25W, jumping 5W between settings may be OK for most vapers but many new vapers will want to experiment to find the sweet spot for wattage with their juice/atty.
    At the low end, I feel the jump of 5W from 8 to 13 is too great & certainly the jump of 7W from 13 to 20 is too great, even the 20- 25w jump is probably not ideal.
    At lower wattages, more fine tuning is needed, dialing in just the right amount of power to heat the coil perfectly is more of a concern at lower wattages IMO, at higher wattages a loss of 2 or 3 watts (from the perfect sweet spot)isn't as noticeable.
    Taking for instance my Subtank Mini, using a 1.2 ohm coil head, my preferred wattage is 17W(tested on a Sigelei 100w plus box), at 20 W the vape was starting to taste burnt, at 13W the vape isn't hitting hard enough nor is the flavor as good. So even though both products are made by Kanger, they are made incompatible by the range of settings available on the K-box, when using a 1.2 ohm coil head.
    However, using a 0.5 ohm coil head, on the Arctic, at 20 - 25W I had no trouble using the K-box.

Overall conclusion:
    For a cheap device, this does not feel cheap in the hand, the construction is quite solid & the buttons are tactile & well placed.
    The threading on the battery cap leaves a bit to be desired, though the 510 connection is better than many used on other devices.
    If your style of vaping is within the ranges provided by the wattage settings, this may be a device worth looking at as a cheap back up or for taking out & about, when you don't want to take a more expensive device that could possibly be damaged.
    However, without a revised version, offering a more precise range of wattage settings I find it hard to recommend the K-box as a primary PV.
    Hopefully Kanger will bring out a revised version, addressing the wattage range issue, because I feel this device has a lot more potential than it does in its current form.

Fatman, Tara, trojan and 1 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    The Arctic:

Having used the Subtank mini, which with its replaceable heads is more similar to the Arctic than any of my RTAs, I can confidently say I like the Arctic better.
    However, I would not recommend it for new vapers & instead would recommend the Subtank mini, my review for that can be seen here:
    SubTank Mini review the SubTank Miniis easier to learn on & easier on batteries for safety sake.

Airflow & vape:
    The Arctic has more air flow than a 747 jet, 4 large slits provide plenty of air, thankfully the AFC works & works well, I found I was reducing the slits to around 1/3 - 1/2 open.
    I tested it out using the 0.5 ohm head, which comes pre-installed, there is also a 0,2 ohm head sent in the box, which I have not used.
    Comparing the vape to the ST mini, the Arctic is quite a bit ahead for flavor, almost rivaling my Goblin with a 0.5 ohm build on it.
    For intermediate to experienced vapers, looking for a tanked atty with replaceable heads, that comes close to the experience a RTA delivers, this one I can highly recommend.
    For those interested in clouds, yes this can blow clouds.

Refilling & coil:
    Unscrewing to fill is made easier by the addition of decorative grooves on the ring above the AFC ring.
    Refilling is not difficult, although you will have to turn the tank upside down, as the tank needs to be unscrewed where it meets the AFC section but I found this no problem to do even on a box mod, with the AFC/head section still attached. It is then just a matter of picking up any dripper bottle & filling through one of the 2 side holes, just don't fill above the metal attached to the chimney section.
    Replacing coils is easy too, the top of the heads have a little knurling on them, so they are easy to grip.
    The coils use organic cotton as the wick, so like all cotton wicks make sure they are completely saturated before vaping with them or you will get a burnt taste that you'll never get rid of.
    Unscrewing to fill is made easier by the addition of decorative grooves on the ring above the AFC ring.

The tank is supposed to hold 3ml, I have not measured it but I would guess that 3ml is correct.
    During testing I was going through close to 2 tank fulls per day, while with my Goblin, with its 0.5 ohm build & 3.5ml tank, I would be going through about 1 tank per day.
    So this atty really chugs the juice.

Drip Tip:
    The one minor negative I have to say about this tank, is really insignificant but the opening for the Drip Tip is not quite deep enough to accept some of my favorite drip tips.
    My favorite SS DT is the one that shipped with my StingRay X clone, it is the most comfortable SS DT to use, that I have tried but while it fits in properly, with no air sneaking in, it does not fit all the way down to sit flush on top of the Arctic, leaving about a 1mm gap. The SRX DT does not have an overly long 510 connector either, so this is likely to be a problem with a number of DT's.
    The supplied DT fits fine & has a flat rather than round o-ring, this makes it quite stable with no wobble. The bore is quite large on it at the 510 end & is even wider at the top at around 13mm outer diameter & perhaps 10mm or 11mm inner diameter.

Dry hits, Leaks etc:
    I have not had a single leak or dry hit during testing, I have taken the head out of the AFC & have not noticed all drops of juice either, I'd be confident to carry this tank around while out & about.
    The 2 vertical slits that feed the juice to the coil work extremely well, even chain vaping I could not force the coil to dry hit, although I used a thinner 60/40 Pg/Vg juice & a thicker high VG juice may give different results but I am doubting that it will.

Conclusion:
    Great fill & go tank for intermediate to experienced vapers, if you pop a coil it is simple to replace with a new head.
    Gives a better vape than some RTAs, the age of the champion clearo tank is almost upon us!
    I would not generally recommend it for new vapers, mainly due to the low sub ohm (0.2) coil included, for safety sake.

Fatman, Scoot, Pipesub and 4 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Noe
    I discovered another feature of the K-box, that I discovered by accident, due to having a red Sanyo 18650 batt installed for contrast in the pics I took, which isn't rated for high amp drain.
    The LEDs on the left were showing a full or near full battery, I had the watts set to 20W, fired the device & the LEDS just flashed at me.
    At first I didn't understand what this meant, then I realised it is an in built safety feature, to protect the battery from being over drained & trying to supply more power than it can handle.
    So I took the battery out & replaced it with a more suitable battery, the K-box fired up right away, then I put the Red Sanyo back in & again it was all flashing LEDs, I dropped the watts down to 8W & this time when I fired the device, it worked, proving that Kanger was indeed looking out for the end user's safety.

So I have to say Kudos to Kanger, for adding this bit of protection to the K-box, many devices in the same price range do not have this feature built in, Kanger has obviously put some thought into the safety of vapers using their products.
    Of course this should not make people complacent, it is a feature that should not be relied upon, your first line of safety should be in choosing & using the correct batteries for your device.
    MyVapeDeal likes this.
    Essie's Glass DTs