Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Midlife
  • 1 Post By Midlife

Thread: Nickel coils, questions.

Nickel coils, questions.

I've been enjoying temperature sensing with the belief that avoiding high temps and dry hits had possible health benefits. But I've also been (gently) dry burning coils to clean and (carefully) rewicking. I read a post somewhere that suggested that dry burning changed the nature of the metal, making it dangerous to use. Is there any truth in this? Is there a better way to clean?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    what coils are they ?? The kanger occ nickel ..?

No Nick, building my own coils in a Lemo. 28 g nickel wire.

AVF Regular
    The first thing you need to know is the composition of the wire ie is it pure nickel or an alloy. Most wires that are used in coils have stuff in them that could potently be harmful. But those elements should be stable enough at the temps that are being used even when you are dry burning.
    Most of the elements that make up wires I would think would only become a problem when the wire starts to break down ether from very high temps or leaching due to the juices that are being used. This is where high alkaline and and acidic juices could cause problems along with high temps.

I would expect that any of the obove would be minimal and would not cause any health risks. If you were melting the wire it would be totally diferant.

All that I have said about this is my opinion based on some very basic knowlege from playing with chemicals and also engineering experiance.

Cheers
    Midlife
    Coxy likes this.

Thanks Midlife, using Ni200 from Steamers, advertised as pure, so reassured.

AVF Regular
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0445.pdf

After a quick google I cant find a temp that pure nickel will fume at but I would expect it would be somewhere around the melting point.

Cheers
    Midlife
    Coxy likes this.