Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Titanium coils.

AVF Regular

Titanium coils.

I ordered some titanium grade 1, 26awg and 28awg wire for coils from Germany, it arrived Monday and I like it.
    I can't get very low ohms, .3 and .4ohms, but they work fine in the Lemo 1 and Lemo 2, on the vaporflask DNA40 in temp control mode.
    And on normal box mods.
    It's gaining in popularity in Europe and the US, and after reading about it I thought I'd try some.
    If I order again I may get 24g and 30g, the 30g can be doubled or triple twisted for good results.
    The web address is: Zivipf.de
    markatneerim, akef38 and Oldhead like this.

AVF Regular
    Dna40 isn't calibrated for titanium though.
    Juzm likes this.

AVF Regular
    It works fine.
    Temp control kicks in, and it's a great vape.
    I read you need to drop the temperature setting by 100f.
    I tried it on 230c my usual temp setting, and 170c what I have it on now.
    Both setting were ok, but I went with the recommended temp.

AVF Regular
    I guess you can get away with fudging the numbers. If it works then why not.

AVF Regular
    Titanium and nickel respond differently when heated, resistance changes are not the same. The temp control may work but it will not work as well as using nickel and a temp control device set for nickel.
    Juzm likes this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

So would you say it's an easy metal to work with? vs nickel?
    I saw the Innokin (?) comes with titanium coils, did intrigue me a bit

AVF Regular
    Let us know the results ,good find and link (disley).
    Seems as though more pro,s than con,s for Ti. Heats quicker,no metal taste and i have been wanting to try some for mths , but would not use Chinese made TI .
    Can you tell us if this wire is German produced as the site does not give metal structure or where made,maybe the container is marked ????
    Thanks disley.

AVF Regular
    Well I'm no metallurgist but the website I posted gets good reviews, especially with what's available on ebay and amazon.
    It was recommended on ECF as a safe and reliable place to buy from.
    I know no more than what's written on the website.
    My order said: Titanium Wire-Gr1 0.34mm / 0.013" / AWG 28, and Titanium Wire-Gr1 0.39mm / 0.015" / AWG 26 - length: 10 meter / 32.8 feet.
    The spool only says, titan, awg 26, 0.39, 10m. and awg 28, 0.34, 10m.
    Germany is the biggest user of Ti in vaping, and I trust them not to use the lower grades or alloys, it's surgical grade, is about all I know.
    You can write to them, there's an email link for questions on the website.
    My order was sent the day I placed it, so I think they'll reply to your questions. It took 20 days to reach me, I couldn't find a DHL or Fedex option.
    My postie delivered it in a padded envelope.
    I spent ages reading about it on the e-cig forum.
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...safety.664753/
    It definitely has a cleaner taste, and is cooler.
    As I mentioned it was hard to get the ohms as low as nickel, which I thought was required to run TC on the DNA40.
    .3 and .4 ohms run fine in temp control.
    It's ok to work with, no harder than nickel or kanthal, I like it, and will start using it for all my coils, not just temp control.
    It really does seem to have no taste to it, it's only after trying Ti, that I realised how much the wire affects the flavour.
    Seriously, how much do we know about the properties of any wire we use, I've always accepted kanthal as inert, and not depositing oxides in my lungs.
    Oldhead and Kaoself like this.

AVF Regular
    What is the resistance like? I understand titanium has a little more resistance than the equivalent sized nichrome. Does it coincide with the calculations for Ti 1 Steam Engine gives you? How is ramp up time?

I must confess the ability to build 10 wrap single coils for about 0.6 instead of parallels sounds super appealing.
    Oldhead likes this.

AVF Regular
    The Ti resistance is lower than kanthal A1 and higher than Ni200 nickel.
    0.25Ω - 0.3Ω was as low as I could get with a sufficient number of wraps using 28 gauge.
    I had difficulty getting the number of wraps to coincides with the steam engine results, this was my useless coil building, I think it'll get closer as I improve.
    0.4Ω and higher and would give you enough wraps to produce good amounts of vapour. According to steam 26g at 0.6Ω it would give 11 or 12 wraps.
    It has no delay heating up, and the taste is very clean.
    I have a 0.30Ω build in a Lemo 1, and a 0.39Ω in a Lemo 2, both work well on a vaporflask in temp control, and it vapes well from 20watts up, 32watts was my preferred setting, I haven't tried going lower than 20w or higher than 32w.
    They also work on most standard box mods that will go down as low as 0.3Ω, I've used them on a Hana modz V3, and a smok XPro65 with no problems.
    It's easy to work with and comes very clean, only needing a wipe with an alcohol swab to remove any machine oil, not that I could detect any.
    Oldhead, Kaoself and CCVaper like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast