Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By studiovape
  • 1 Post By rodbam

Thread: Kanthal used for new spring

AVF Regular

Kanthal used for new spring

Old people like me should be banned from modding. I was drilling out the air holes on my Silo Mini tank & the first hole drilled out like I knew what I was doing but on the second hole the drill seemed to suck right in & mangled the spring on the floating bottom pin. I ended up making a Kanthal micro coil of the same dia as the spring & used that, it seems to be vaping just fine.
    The only problem I have is seeing as the power is going through the kanthal spring to my atty is the kanthal spring heating up as though it is a coil? The bottom pin doesn't seem to be getting hot but I can't understand why the kanthal wouldn't heat up if power is going through it.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    Old people like me should be banned from modding. I was drilling out the air holes on my Silo Mini tank & the first hole drilled out like I knew what I was doing but on the second hole the drill seemed to suck right in & mangled the spring on the floating bottom pin. I ended up making a Kanthal micro coil of the same dia as the spring & used that, it seems to be vaping just fine.
    The only problem I have is seeing as the power is going through the kanthal spring to my atty is the kanthal spring heating up as though it is a coil? The bottom pin doesn't seem to be getting hot but I can't understand why the kanthal wouldn't heat up if power is going through it.
    The kanthal will be heating up, maybe not enough to be very noticeable, but it will be sapping power as you are needlessly increasing resistance in your current path to your coil. The kanthal spring is not creating an insulating coating in the way your main coil is, so as each wing contacts the next under compression the resistance is reduced overall. Either way you should look at replacing that spring with a properly conductive low resistance wire or spring, pretty much any metal spring or wire will be better than Kanthal.
    Robray, rodbam and trojan like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Thanks mate I will look at a new spring.
    studiovape likes this.