Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: RBA tools - Tool Box shootout Review

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

RBA tools - Tool Box shootout Review

For this review, I am going to be doing something a little different, many of us use RBAs & that means we need tools to work on them when making coils & building the deck.
    Housing those tools & materials used for RBAs is not something that gets a lot of attention, well in this review I hope to help give RBA users some ideas for suitable tool boxes.
    I myself had been using a Large sized eGo case, to hold some of the tools & materials I use with RBAs in one place but I could never hold all my RBA tools, let alone any materials, in that case together.
    So I wanted a new tool box too & thought it would be the perfect opportunity to test out a few different styles of cases/bags/boxes to see which would be suitable, in a shootout style review.

The one on the right is my old eGo case:

My criteria for a good RBA tool box is that they must be sturdy, portable & compact but also must house everything needed, preferably including wick & coil wire, while not being too expensive.
    Thanks to GearBest - Best Gadgets & Electronics Deals, who agreed to supply me with the cases & boxes free for this review, I had 6 new items arrive for testing:

The first two of these proved not to be very useful for housing tools or at least not as many as even my old eGo case could.
    Seen below next to a 30ml juice bottle for size comparison:

The first of these 2 : High Quality Waterproof Rock Fishing Box Fishing Tackle Case Set - Black-4.11 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    Really is only suited to housing screws, small o-rings & other small parts but since RBA often come with many small spare parts, this box could be quite handy, just not for housing tools.

Seen with a small bag of spare o-rings, you can see just how small those compartments are:

You may be able to house some Magic Blue Screwdrivers but not if the shaft is one of the longer ones:

The second of the 2 is a little more useful although not as solid & sturdy as the first: 3 - Layer 8 Separate Compartments Storage Box Organizer Case-2.65 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    It has 3 flip out parts to it, which fold together & have a catch to keep them compact, the one in the middle(red but comes in random colors) is the largest but still not good for holding many RBA tools.
    However this will hold a lot more than the first case, 3 cotton wicks I was able to fit into the middle compartment, without having to trim to fit or all my Magic Screwdrivers.
    I was able to get the same entire bag of o-rings, as seen with the first box, into one of the smaller compartments.
    In another I was able to get several drip tips into it, however some drip tips were too wide to fit into the compartments, as seen in the below pics, the ones on the left would not allow the lids to close:

So as you can see from the pictures, as useful as the 2 boxes above may be, they are not suited to the intended purpose of a RBA tool box.

The next 2 are around the same size & slightly larger than my old eGo case was, allowing them to house more RBA necessities but still not allowing for wick & wire or all the tools I use with my RBAs.
    However in a pinch either of these 2 would be acceptable for the minimum required & a few extras.

The first Dustproof 2.5 inch Hard Disk Drive Bag Digital Products Organizer Supplies-4.32 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com has a similar type of shell to that of my eGo case, which would be adequately protective of the tools but still soft & easily scuffed, possibly damaged, if dropped.
    It has the convenience of dual zipper opening & a center dividing section with small, secure compartments, on one side is an elastic holder for keeping larger tools in place & on the other side is a fishnet style bag holder.
    It also has a small ring which could be connected to a carabiner & attached to your belt etc.:

Browny likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    The second has 2 size choices on the product page, this is the (L) version Crush Resistance 10M Waterproof Small Box for Camping Outdoor Home Office ( Size L )-3.32 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    It (like the next one to which the same applies) claims to be waterproof, I have not put this to the test but I suspect it would not stand up to submersion, however I would not be concerned if it was splashed or left out in the rain.
    The case is made of a hard plastic, it has 4 clips to hold it together & 2 eggshell style foam inserts, it also has 2 loops on the outside for attaching a cord for carrying.
    I found this one was able to hold a few extra tools, than the softer shelled one above, though not many, only one or two extra pairs of tweezers, however to fit all the tools in 1 foam insert had to be left out:

The fifth box is very similar to the fourth, except it is larger & green rather than black SingFire SF - GB2 LED Flashlight Protection Box Green Plastic Box-4.72 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    In this one though both foam inserts were able to be left in & all my RBA tools, 2 rolls of wire for coils, 3 different types of wick packs, were all able to fit into this box, including my ohm checker(although it isn't pictured inside with all the other items, as I only remembered it after taking the pics but made sure everything fitted in without taking another pic of it inside).
    This one does come with a cord already fitted to the 2 loops provided & has the same 4 closure points:

The final contender isn't really a tool box, it's a bag for storing cables & power adapters or maybe items for a PC Utility Electric Appliance Storage Bag Handbag Adjustable Charger Adapter Pouch Travel Gadgets-11.86 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    This is the largest of the bunch & also the softest, being made of a nylon material with foam padding.
    Unless you have a very large collection of RBA tools, this will likely be too big for them alone, although it could be used in conjunction with several of the other cases as you will see.
    It has dual zip closing, a carry handle, 3 adjustable dividers, a fishnet zippered enclosed section & a lot of room inside:

Conclusions:
    Either of the third or fourth boxes would be quite handy but you would need to carry wick, wire & an ohm checker separate from the tools.
    This wouldn't matter so much for home use, which let's face it most of us rebuild our RBAs at home & rarely have a need to carry an RBA tool box out & about.

The fifth box is large enough to house my rather large collection of RBA tools, which is more than absolutely needed, including wick, wire & ohm checker, for an all-in-one solution that is also portable (although too large for pockets lol) this is the pick of the bunch & the one I personally will use. However it is still not the perfect solution, I would prefer to see better compartments, rather than foam inserts to divide the tools.

The sixth case is easier to carry than the fifth, due to its handle, it is light & can hold a lot more inside, the downside is it is not particularly sturdy being made of something akin to a sports bag, although it is padded unlike a sports bag.
    Any of the above 4 would work & depending on your need one may be more suitable than the other.

The first two listed, are of little use as RBA tool boxes, the first one may have been the best of the lot, had it been large enough with larger compartments.
    A box such as that, would be ideal for our needs, unfortunately none exist in the size we require, perhaps someone will one day make the ideal RBA tool box but for now we will have to make do with what is available.
    Last edited by Noe; 16-06-15 at 08:33 AM.
    Browny likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

AVF Regular
    This is great stuff! Thanks Noe.

I've been using a portable hard drive case for my stuff up to now, but its not amazing - also, the wire cutters and tweezers have taken their toll on the mesh.

Love the idea of the foam filled hard cases (read - Vaper Pelican cases!)
    Noe likes this.

Noe
    Yeah Rupert, I had thought of trying a small fishing tackle box but most of those are bigger than is ideal too, I did see some on GB that may have been suitable but they were out of stock at the time, so didn't make the above review.
    The Green hard case does all that I want it to do, I just wish there was a slightly better option available with a few more sealed or partitioned compartments. The smaller black one would be my second choice, although the softer black case is a nice option too.
    rupert likes this.
    Essie's Glass DTs

AVF Regular
    Thnx Noe, nice reading !
    Noe likes this.

AVF Regular
    Noe to make it easier are you going to be the go between for us and them. (GB)
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Even though I didn't need the tools or another ohm meter, I was very happy with my purchase of this:

Obviously rather more expensive, but I like having a place for everything and everything is of good quality (eg the scissors actually cut).
    Noe, Crisscross and rupert like this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Noe to make it easier are you going to be the go between for us and them. (GB)
    Not unless I'm getting paid to do their jobs for them LOL
    rupert likes this.
    Essie's Glass DTs

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Not unless I'm getting paid to do their jobs for them LOL
    Damm you seem to understand how they work and can get things fixed.
    Noe likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    Even though I didn't need the tools or another ohm meter, I was very happy with my purchase of this:

Obviously rather more expensive, but I like having a place for everything and everything is of good quality (eg the scissors actually cut).
    That kit might be good for a beginner into RBAs, it is quite pricey though & most RBA users have tools they use already. I don;t like the look of those pliers, I prefer using pliers that are made for jewelry use & are not marking which I'm not sure those are.
    Buying the tools separately, you could make that kit up for much less than $50, minus the box & get the tools you want, the trouble is you then need somewhere to store them.
    That is why I did the review, because very few empty RBA tool box reviews (if any) have been done, certainly I have not seen or read any.
    rupert likes this.
    Essie's Glass DTs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast