Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My Introduction to Dripping

AVF Regular

My Introduction to Dripping

After hearing all sorts of stories about dripping atomizers I decided it was about time I tried it out. Up until now I had only used tanks and my favourite of everything that I had tried is a hands down win to the Smok GCT, Gimlet Cloud Tank. With this tank I use either the ni200 coils or the DIY RBA kits.

Today I received 2 clone RDA's, Lethal copper and stainless steel. Along with this some kanthal 28 wire and nickel 28 wire (for the eVic) and ohms meter.

So after giving it all a good clean I sat down to make my first build. Decided to use the kanthal first. My first issue was seeing what I was doing. You see I wear glasses and I'm fine seeing anything over a foot away, but up close I can't wear them, I can see but it's not the best. I got to making 2 coils, found this a bit fiddly TBH but settled on 2.5mm diameter, 7 wraps. Found I could not get the coil spacing tight so settled for little gaps between coils. I made one and tested the resistance 1.6 ohm, OK. Made another, fitted it, ended up with 0.8 ohm which I thought was pretty reasonable for a first build, nothing to drastic. I wicked it, primed it, put the top cap on and added a little more juice to be sure. Put it on my istick 50, read 0.8, sweet. I didn't test burn the coils, maybe I should have to see how they went, but for some reason I just skipped past it, anxious to vape it.

So I had a vape on my first RDA. There was decent flavour, decent cloud, but I just don't get it. I don't know how much juice is in there, running it dry or flooding it. I don't want to get a dry hit.

It just wasn't as good as my GCT with RBA. At least with that I can see how much juice is there. It's reliable, tasty and cloudy. What was I thinking?

Now I know it was my first build and with practice I could maybe get it better, but the hassle involved, having to sit there with juice in one hand istick in the other.

I just don't think it is for me, or at least I don't know if I could be bothered.

One thing I did like though, geez that Lethal (clone) with black AFC ring around it looks brilliant on my black istick. I'd post a picture, but again, more hassle....
    disley likes this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    I was going to write a paragraph or two on its merits but in reality its horses for courses. Some people want no fuss, some want the tinker factor, some want plug and play, some want clouds and other want to tootle puff. The great thing about vaping is there is a method that suits your personality, wallet and technique. Shrug

Find your fit and bobs your uncle.
    disley, Browny, oldgamer and 2 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    So you used an istick, i'm guessing their some sort of vw device, what wattage did you use ? dual 28g at 0.8 on a mech and airy lung hit is heaven to me, probably be somewhere around the 20 watt mark i think if you work it out.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    So you used an istick, i'm guessing their some sort of vw device, what wattage did you use ? dual 28g at 0.8 on a mech and airy lung hit is heaven to me, probably be somewhere around the 20 watt mark i think if you work it out.
    I think it was something above the 20 mark, but not by much.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    I was going to write a paragraph or two on its merits but in reality its horses for courses. Some people want no fuss, some want the tinker factor, some want plug and play, some want clouds and other want to tootle puff. The great thing about vaping is there is a method that suits your personality, wallet and technique. Shrug

Find your fit and bobs your uncle.
    I totally get that some things suit some and not others. Not having tried it I was keen to do so. Thing I'm a sub tank vaper, it's where I have found the most pleasure and plan to stick to it in future.
    I will give the RDA another go at some point, they might find their way onto the for sale section, or I might just keep them them 'cause they look nice and they can be a reminder to where I should be.
    I can see getting another eVic at some point and sticking to the tanks, GCT's of course.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post
    I totally get that some things suit some and not others. Not having tried it I was keen to do so. Thing I'm a sub tank vaper, it's where I have found the most pleasure and plan to stick to it in future.
    I will give the RDA another go at some point, they might find their way onto the for sale section, or I might just keep them them 'cause they look nice and they can be a reminder to where I should be.
    I can see getting another eVic at some point and sticking to the tanks, GCT's of course.
    Part of the reason squonking is becoming a hit is that you can get the dripper flavour and flexibility of mechs without the constant painful dripping. (I can't believe I know so much about squonking hehe)

Sorry I misspelt it should be splodging
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    All drippers are not equal. They all perform differently and the type of build is also going to affect the vape quality.

I use a dripper at home. It's got a good sized well which can fit almost 1ml in there so i only have to redrip every hour or 2. You kind of get used to it and you eventually get a feel of when its time to top up. I cant remember the last time i had a dry hit.

It was a bit of a hassle at first, but now its feels very hassle free.
    Crisscross likes this.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sign me up View Post
    All drippers are not equal. They all perform differently and the type of build is also going to affect the vape quality.

I use a dripper at home. It's got a good sized well which can fit almost 1ml in there so i only have to redrip every hour or 2. You kind of get used to it and you eventually get a feel of when its time to top up. I cant remember the last time i had a dry hit.

It was a bit of a hassle at first, but now its feels very hassle free.
    Was my hope to use the dripper at home and have the tanks for convenience when out and about. I've cleaned it out for, but left the coils in place. It was quite drowned actually and I might of had a bit much cotton in there. Take 2 in a day or so.

AVF Regular
    Keep the drippers even if you don't use them, as long as you know how to build and have some attys then you never know when you might need them, also i would think drippers and mechs to be less likely to fail imo, peace of mind.

PS: those lethals look pretty good, they look like you could lung hit em.

saying all this i'm still probably going to grab one of those sub box kits for out and about, they look the tits and most people seem to like the tanks.
    Last edited by Sludge; 17-06-15 at 04:44 PM.
    Crisscross likes this.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    Keep the drippers even if you don't use them, as long as you know how to build and have some attys then you never know when you might need them, also i would think drippers and mechs to be less likely to fail imo, peace of mind.

PS: those lethals look pretty good, they look like you could lung hit em.

saying all this i'm still probably going to grab one of those sub box kits for out and about, they look the tits and most people seem to like the tanks.
    When the AFC is wide open it is a massive air flow, so much so I knocked it back a bit, but still lung hit as that's the way for me.

I doubt I will sell them as they do look so good. I know they are clones and not always the best to buy but I was never going to get genuine RDA's on my vape budget. Who knows, one day they might be all I use, I'm sure there is a knack to them and at this point, I don't have it. Though a little pleased for my first build to be 0.8, will try for a bit lower next time.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast