• 1 Post By rodbam
  • 3 Post By Fatman
  • 1 Post By Brave
  • 1 Post By Fatman
  • 2 Post By Timm4h

Thread: Li-Ion Battery Brands

AVF Regular

Li-Ion Battery Brands

In reading through a number of other posts, I've noticed many of you seem to recommend Sony or Samsung branded Lithium-ion batteries.

Having only bought my first mod a few months back, it's all pretty new for me; but after some research I went with the AW branded 18650s at the time. They've performed even better than I had hoped so far, so no problems there, but I'm curious:

Is there is a significant reason I've missed as to why they seem to be preferred?
    There are two types of people in this world: those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.

AVF Regular
    Lg he4's are good too... just reliable batteries and has a higher amp limit.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanDOTJ View Post
    Lg he4's are good too... just reliable batteries and has a higher amp limit.
    Ahh. Okay. Thanks.

So would I be right in thinking that higher amp limits are more useful for those vaping at a higher wattage?
    There are two types of people in this world: those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.

AVF Regular
    I don't think it's the wattage that requires higher amp batteries it's the Ohms of the coil. Like a .2 Ohm coil needs more amps than a 1.2 Ohm coil so higher amp batteries are needed for low Ohm (sub ohm) vaping.
    I'm no expert on this so someone else can explain it better.
    Brave likes this.

Super Moderator
    AW's are great quality batteries for "general" vaping use depending on the particular cell you get .. the 18650 2000mAh are good for 10A or so , the 1600's for 20+ A or so ... BUT beware there are MANY counterfeits out there , so if you are sub-ohming and stressing them out with high wattage applications which requires more Amps , make SURE you have GENUINE AW's ... Supersports600 a member here has an ebay shop where he sells ONLY authentic batts from many different quality suppliers . I highly recommend him ( as always)
    The reason you see Pana's Samsung etc is that with the uptake in the vaping community of higher and higher wattages these brands are the ones supplying high discharge rate cells that will cope with the demands on them ( and are less prone to counterfeiting ) ... Always choose your batteries to suit your needs and incorporate a healthy safety margin if you intend on stressing them

SS600's shop supersports600 items - Get great deals on non-protected, Protected items on eBay Stores!
    sc_rufctr, Browny and Brave like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    I don't think it's the wattage that requires higher amp batteries it's the Ohms of the coil. Like a .2 Ohm coil needs more amps than a 1.2 Ohm coil so higher amp batteries are needed for low Ohm (sub ohm) vaping.
    I'm no expert on this so someone else can explain it better.
    I'm with you rodbam, thanks.

Though I didn't phrase my previous question very well, that's along the lines of how I was thinking.

I should have typed "lower resistance" not "higher wattage", as I made the (incorrect) assumption that the two would have the same result.

If amp limit is the total amount of draw a battery can safely output at one time, it would make sense that you'd need higher values for sub ohm vaping.

For the safety factor if nothing else?

AVF Regular
    Just read your reply too Fatman - that's great info, thanks!

I bought my AWs from Vape King at the time, as they seem to have a good reputation on here (and elsewhere), but will definitely check out SS600's shop when I am next in need.

... Aaand as an aside, I just decided to tick the forum "remember me" box so I don't get logged out when distracted typing up replies

EDIT:
    FWIW, the AWs I bought from Vape King have a 20A limit, and as I rarely go above 10W (or below 1.8ohm) I'm guessing I should be in the "all good!" category?
    Last edited by Brave; 19-06-15 at 12:40 PM.
    Browny likes this.

Super Moderator
    10W @ 1.8 ohms ... about 2.4 Amps .. soooo you are not stressing things much
    Ohms law is your greatest friend in vaping ... well apart from AVF that is
    Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators thw whole Steam Engine site is a good reference for many things vaping
    Brave likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Hey Brave, I bought up a similar thing a while back, as I had a torch that came with (no name) 18650's. I was quickly told that it would be a bad idea to try to use them in my mod as they wouldn't cope with the current draw. Not being one to let an opportunity go, I tried it anyway just to power up. No actual Atomiser drain. Even then, the mods I had wouldn't even turn on. But they worked find with brand name batteries. That said it all for me.
    Fatman and Brave like this.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus vntosissimis exponebantur ad necem.