Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Smok GCT TC tank Vs Smok VTC Pro subtank Review.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Smok GCT TC tank Vs Smok VTC Pro subtank Review.

Subtanks are popping up everywhere, it seems the era of a simple clearomiser running 1.2ohm coils is past & that was only 6-8 months ago.
    Sure you can still find some 1.2ohm coils for newer "sub" tanks but it is more common to find them fitted with subohm coils.
    More recently, Temperature Control subtanks, fitted with Ni200 coils have been hitting the market too & the Smok GCT is one of those.
    So the question a lot of vapers, including myself want to know is "Is there a lot of advantage to using a TC tank vs a Subtank?"

Well thanks to GearBest - Best Gadgets & Electronics Deals, who provided me with 2 new Smok tanks free for this review, I have a GCT & a VCT pro, to review & compare.
    As usual, I will give my honest opinion of these devices, despite having received them free for this review.

Unboxing & appearance (Both):

The boxes Smok puts both of these tanks into are almost identical, if not for the writing telling you it was a GCT & not a VCT Pro, you would not know which was which.

The packaging inside the box is identical too, except you can see by the design of the tank one is not the other & while they are very similar tanks in design, they use different coils which are not interchangeable between them.
    Each comes with the tank, a spare coil & a spare glass tank section, removing the top layer out of the box reveals a few more goodies below, both come with a folded instruction sheet, the VCT Pro had a bag of spare o-rings, the GCT did not.

Taking the tanks apart, we can see the similarities & differences in the designs.
    The GCT has a 4 position, single opening AFC, which clicks into position, the VCT Pro has dual opening AFC, which sits snug & slides for adjustment, both AFCs work very well & would not be easily knocked out of place.
    While I haven't measured the length of the glass sections, it appears that the VCT Pro is a few mm longer than the GCT, however when assembled the VCT pro is shorter than the GCT by a few mm.
    Both have heatsinks on their topcaps, the VCT pro is of more common design, while the GCT's is rather unique.

Drip Tips:

The drip tips on each are different, although the bore for both are about the same size, the GCT has a fully SS DT, while the VCT pro has a SS/glass hybrid DT, which has a "fan" as they call it, which is really just an AFC on the DT. Personally, I think this DT AFC is a little pointless, the main AFC was more than enough in my testing, in fact I had it shut down to about 1/3 open while using the 0.6 ohm coil, perhaps using the lower ohm coil, the AFC on the DT may be used to help cool the vape but this will come at the cost of dilution of flavor in the vape.
    Both DTs have very short 510 insertions, the GCT is a little shorter than the VCT pro both are shorter than most other standard 510 DTs & in testing with all of my collection of DTs with shorter 510 ends, none of them would fit & sit flush on the tanks, the VCT Pro DT also would not sit flush on the GCT tank.
    So while they are 510 DT compatible, you will be hard pressed to find other DTs that will fit properly, let alone use your favorite DTs in these tanks, for many this will be a deal breaker.
    The DT on the GCT is also a little wobbly due to the shortness of the fitting.

Filling & putting back together:

Both fill exactly the same way, invert the tank, unscrew the base & fill down the side of the glass while upside down.
    Both have threaded chimneys, that screw onto the coil heads, so when screwing in the coil heads be sure to screw them down as tight as possible, because while it did not happen to me I can see how this may cause problems with proper 510 connection, if the heads come out with the chimney when refilling.
    I found screwing the GCT back together easier than the VCT Pro, due to the method each holds the glass tank in place.
    The GCT will not hold as much juice as the VCT pro, in fact there is a lot of "wasted" tank depth, that can't be filled on the GCT, the VCT pro held more juice being similar in level to other tanks that employ this fill method.

Comparing in use:

Both tanks have good airflow, both produce reasonably good flavor, the GCT seems to just have the edge when it comes to flavor but not by a lot.
    In the cloud stakes, the GCT is the obvious winner, at least when comparing the 0.6 ohm Kanthal coil in the VCT pro to the 0.25 ohm Ni200 coil in the GCT at the same wattage.
    The question that leaves some doubt in my mind though is; is this a fair comparison, considering the differences in the coil head designs & the differences in the tank designs?
    While the tanks appear very similar, there are differences, for example the chimney on the GCT is narrower than the chimney on the VCT pro, the AFCs are different & there are other differences too.
    So I don't think this is a fair comparison of TC vs non-TC, certainly I have better performing non-TC tanks, so for a fair comparison, I will need to use a tank of the exact same design, using TC & non-TC coils.

So how is TC in a tanked atty?

For the most part, I didn't notice a lot of difference when using the GCT to any other tanked atty.
    Being my first TC tank, I was unsure exactly what to expect but the more I used it the more i realised it wasn't giving me any kind of vape experience I hadn't had with other tanks.
    That was until, it came time to vape the "dregs" of the juice in the tank. With a regular tank, vaping the last remaining drops of juice without burning the wick in your coil is impossible, not so with a TC tank. If your TC mod is set correctly, you can vape the tank completely dry, minus 2 or 3 drops which will cling to the tank walls but you can vape the juice out of your coil until there is virtually no vapor coming from it.
    This allows you to refill the tank, without switching coils, with a different flavor of juice.

If your all day vape never changes, then this feature probably means nothing to you, similarly if you have several tanks, all filled with different flavors, this feature probably won't appeal to you either but for some vapers this could be a very useful feature.
    I do however think that the majority of vapers do not need a TC tank, most of us have multiple tanks/atties perhaps these would be most useful for newbies transitioning from beginner kits onto more advanced devices & onto TC mods.
    In my limited experience with TC devices though, I feel its greatest benefit is in RDA use rather than in tanks, with a tank when used & functioning correctly, TC or non TC, you will never have dry or burnt hits. With RDAs the chances of dry or burnt hits are much greater, especially when you are new to them.

Overall:

If you can get past the annoying DT issues, if you don't mind tanks you can't completely fill & if you don't have a subtank you are currently happy with, then these may be for you.
    If you don't have a TC mod, then the GCT is not something you could use, it only uses TC coils & if you have a TC mod, then you are very limited in your choice of DT for this tank.
    I quite like the DT on the VCT pro, glass always has a nicer feel to it than most other DT materials but don't expect to be "chucking clouds" with the VCT pro.
    The question I always ask myself of any atomiser is, "If I lost or damaged this beyond repair, would I buy a replacement?"
    The answer for both of these tanks is , no I would not.
    That doesn't mean they aren't good but I do have better tanks, I am sure I will use them but they will not be my "go to " devices.
    Aus_Rider_22 likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    UPDATE:

I have just been informed that the GCT can use regular Kanthal coils, which will add to its usability a little.
    I may even try to get hold of some of these coils for it, to see how it performs compared to how it does in TC mode.
    I doubt it will change my opinion of the tank itself but it should give me a better idea of how TC compares to non-TC in a tanked atty.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

AVF Regular
    The Smok GCT also can use the DIY RBA kit. These kits give you a 0.4 ohm resistance with nr-r-nr kanthal coils. Each kit comes with the RBA coil head, cotton, insulators and 6 coils, 2 are pre-installed and require wicking. Kit cost is $6, so $2.00 per coil. I have 2 GCT tanks, one has the ni200 coil on a TC device, the other with the RBA on a VW device. I enjoy both in their differant setups.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Thats what you should have probably done for your comparison Noe. Grab a couple of the RBA heads so you can do identical builds.

lol oh well, looks like I will be giving this a miss after all. Sounds like I have already got better tanks.....and they dont get an awful
    lot of use. Think I'll just stick to the drippers

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    Thats what you should have probably done for your comparison Noe. Grab a couple of the RBA heads so you can do identical builds.

lol oh well, looks like I will be giving this a miss after all. Sounds like I have already got better tanks.....and they dont get an awful
    Except the VCT PRO isn't compatible with the RBA. I like how the SMOK tanks shared the coils, I don't get why the pro doesn't and makes it a non purchase for me.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post

You want to give your tanks an occasional go.
    I've just picked up the Silo tank and I'm enjoying it.
    There are new Ni and Ti coils for the Delta II, which I'm going to try.
    You remember why you bought the tanks.
    I'm also using the kangertech subtank and nano, I washed them and used new coils.
    They're not bad, not as good as the Delta II, or Lemo 2, but ok.
    I'm going to wash the Atlantis and try that again, its been a few months since I last used it.
    Last edited by disley; 25-06-15 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    UPDATE:

I have just been informed that the GCT can use regular Kanthal coils, which will add to its usability a little.
    I may even try to get hold of some of these coils for it, to see how it performs compared to how it does in TC mode.
    I doubt it will change my opinion of the tank itself but it should give me a better idea of how TC compares to non-TC in a tanked atty.

The VCT pro can also use the TCT coils from this tank below which run at 0.15 ohms.

https://houseofvape.com.au/vape/clea...ntrolled-tank/

Edit:, when looking at your photos the VCT looks the same as the Smok TCT, could be the updated version which has 2 o rings on the drip tip for a tighter fit, as well as the TC coils.
    Last edited by nirvana; 25-06-15 at 01:29 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post
    Except the VCT PRO isn't compatible with the RBA. I like how the SMOK tanks shared the coils, I don't get why the pro doesn't and makes it a non purchase for me.
    Ah yeah, my mistake. I didn't look properly. I actually thought it was a comparison between the VCT and GCT. But I didn't
    know that about the VCT Pro. I don't really get it either. Do they have another RBA for the Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by disley View Post
    You want to give your tanks an occasional go.
    I've just picked up the Silo tank and I'm enjoying it.
    There are new Ni and Ti coils for the Delta II, which I'm going to try.
    You remember why you bought the tanks.
    I'm also using the kangertech subtank and nano, I washed them and used new coils.
    They're not bad, not as good as the Delta II, or Lemo 2, but ok.
    I'm going to wash the Atlantis and try that again, its been a few months since I last used it.
    Oh yeah I do. I have about 3 on the go. I just meant in comparison to the drippers. I should give the ones I have put away
    another go though. I remember you did that with the Lemo?. You went back to it and were really enjoying it.

AVF Regular
    I've cleaned and recoiled everything, it's like having a whole new set of toys to play with.
    The Atlantis is better than I remembered.
    Running them at +30watts is chewing through the juice.
    The Lemo 2 is hungry, I can use 2mls in a short session.
    It took 20mls just to fill them half way.
    The Deltas didn't need new coils, they last a long time.
    When I get the Titanium coils for the Delta I'll change them.
    All have the same juice in them, and all taste different.
    I have the GCT and VCT on mechanical mods.
    I haven't looked if the GCT coils fit any other tanks.
    The thread looks the same as the delta II, but it's a tiny bit short in length.

Noe
    It's a bit annoying how all these coil heads have different threads even when made by the same manufacturer, they make 2 different threaded coil heads so you can't simply use your favorite tank to see if trying different coils made by the same company are better for your needs.
    The VCT pro & the GCT coils looked to me at first to have the same threading but there is a slight difference with them & they aren't interchangeable.
    With the rate new devices are coming out, this problem is only going to get worse, however if you are keeping up with every new tank that comes out, then it does solve one problem, buying spare coils.
    By the time you should need a new coil it is guaranteed there will be a new tank on the market that is already shipping towards your door, so not buying spare coils will save your wallet a little.
    Essie's Glass DTs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast