Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Subtank Mini dry hitting frequently.

AVF Regular

Subtank Mini dry hitting frequently.

Morning everyone,

Recently got two new subtank mini tanks and have them running with the OCC coil, 1.2 ohm with 50/50 6mg liquid.

I have had the P3 set at 15 watts for the 1.2 ohm coil which I felt was relatively conservative but still, I find I am getting a hell of a lot of dry hits. Coming from the v2.5 Provari and Nautilus tanks where I was able to bang away at them all day and never worry, with the subtank, I find that if I Vape a little too frequently and ergh.

Has anyone else had this?
    Have I got my power settings wrong?
    Anything else you can think of that I can do?

Cheers all,
    Paul
    Leadership is solving problems.
    The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you stopped have leading them.
    The have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded you do not care.
    Either case is a failure of leadership

General Colin Powell

ProVari V2.5 Zombie Edition, Innokin iTaste 134, Aspire Nautilus (BVC) with Brushed Steel Assay Tank, Kanger AeroTank Mega

Super Moderator
    Hey Paul , while not an expert on subtank subculture ... have you tried swapping the coil out ? Sometimes you DO get a bodgey one on any device? Tried it with a thinner liquid? even 60:40 might help ?

Being an "old Skool " vaper , 15W on a 1.2 ohm coil is a bit high I would try it at about 8-10 and work my way up
    I know the "old " figures quoted in charts dont really apply to SubOhm culture .. but as you are using a 1.2 ohm coil in it the chart below could still have relevance

Last edited by Fatman; 28-06-15 at 12:47 PM.
    Toddosh likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Hey shouldn't be dry hitting I'll sit in the 1.2 coils at 18w and not get dry hits maybe try pin pricking the cotton to allow some extra flow I run 50/50 on both .5 and 1.2 very comfortably. no dry hits after a pin prick in these really cold months.
    Good luck if that doesn't work swap the coil out although I'm yet to have a bad coil from them .
    disley and Browny like this.

AVF Regular
    The coils work fine.
    I've had the 0.5ohm coils that taste of machine oil.
    Last edited by disley; 28-06-15 at 01:29 PM.

As a newby on these tanks myself, had cotton burn on 3 coils, this only occurred when mouth to lung vaping on either the 1.2 or 0.5 coils when the mod was set at a low wattage.

Have fluffed up the cotton and now lung vap, havenít had a dry hit yet, now using a higher VG mix at 70-75%, there seems to be more flavour on these tanks compared to the Smok tank i'm using
    tried mouth to lung again and got a hint of cotton burn.

waiting for my order of vertical coils and TC coils to arrive, at times i prefer mouth to lung vaping and hope these work better.

AVF Regular
    What slystu says pin prick the cotton and try and fluff it out with the pin on both sides also make sure it's well primed if that fails I would say dud coil :-)

AVF Regular
    Mods~ VamoV2(PIFed),V5(x3(2 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Istick 20(Dead),30(x2(Both PIFed)),50(Dead),40TC(x2(1 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Vapor Shark rDNA40(Sold), DNA200(Traded), Flask V2.1(Sold)*IPV D2(x2(1 Dead, 1 Sold)),4S*eVic VT(x2(1 Dead, 1 PIFed)),VTC(x6(2 PIFed)*Sigelei 150W*Smok X-Cube II(Sold)*YiHi SX Mini M Class.*Wismec DNA200(x3),RX200(Sold)*eLeaf Pico, Pico Squeeze(x4)*CoV Wraith*Mechs ~ Genuine Phenom The Beast PVF Edition*Stingray X(x2)*Nemesis(x3)*King*Le Petit Gros(x3)*Kato*Black Hawk*Abaddon

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the infograph Fatty, I'm not into the subohm culture, that's why I opted for the 1.2 coils, and I'm using P3's and they restrict to 20 watts anyway which sounds like the low end for a 0.5ohm coil.

Thanks for the video, ill watch it now.
    I did swap out a coil and still ran into the same issue, I hope and think that the pin pricks will allow a faster wicking than current so that should probably do the trick.

Any other advice or tricks are still more than welcome.
    Fatman likes this.
    The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you stopped have leading them.
    The have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded you do not care.

General Colin Powell

ProVari V2.5 Zombie Edition, Innokin iTaste 134, Aspire Nautilus (BVC) with Brushed Steel Assay Tank, Kanger AeroTank Mega

AVF Regular
    It's still happening
    Tried the poking holes in cotton, no luck, tomorrow I'll give another shot at changing the coils but I'm not hopeful for it.

Makes me very sad because when it works, it works really well, great flavour and vapour.

Pleaseeee, any other suggestions or ideas?

General Colin Powell

AVF Regular
    Strongly suggest you get some cotton wick, wire, coil jig and start building with RBA. I can understand people that couldn't be arsed though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast