Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The history of Mech mods...........and clones, premixed.

AVF Regular

The history of Mech mods...........and clones, premixed.

Ive been dying to ask this question of the vets, What was the first mech mod produced and when was that?

Anything you can share about trends years ago and up until now would be interesting.....
    pcan68 and Browny like this.

AVF Regular
    I'm pretty sure the pure smokers prodigy was the first mass produced mechanical.
    Before that they were modified torch tubes by the small groups of hobbyists hence the word mod.

Super Moderator
    Trogs screwdriver was the first commercial "mech" mod as far as I know... BUT the earliest designs had a wired switch
    The pure mechanical side of things , there were probably many arising about the same time , most born of discussions over at ECF , This would include Cashmere's version of what would become the prodigy ... around the same time late 2008/ early 2009 as much as it pains me to announce (lol ) is Imeo and the birth of the GG where the switching was designed to require no wiring its development took place over months tho ... I think you will find NO definitive answer , as many devices were made by beardy guys in sheds and timeline was a fluid thing as ideas were tossed and recreated in the search of the "perfect" mod ..

* all my own recollections and my memory might be tricking me Happy to be proven wrong
    Last edited by Fatman; 30-06-15 at 06:53 PM.
    floorzone2, D1git, Juzm and 3 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    Also I might add .. it was cool to be collaborative back then ... it wasnt about making a shyte ton of money , it was kinda the first international " Mens Shed " program lol

( and again this is where a certain Greek guy comes into it , cos he was probably the first to see the potential of people paying silly amounts , and as soon as that thought arrived .. collaboration became Mine Mine Mine !!! )

Oh and this is where it all becomes selective too , cos there were UK modders, US, modders , EU modders, Spanish, etc and they were all doing their own thing or on their own local forums etc ... So MY perspective is from an ECF point of view from early 2008 on.

Who knows , some Siberian bloke might have read about Hon Lik in 2005 in Pravda and adapted the exhaust valve off a 1962 Ural motorcycle and a Borscht tin and been happily vaping on it until this very day
    Last edited by Fatman; 30-06-15 at 07:26 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    A certain portugese guy falls under that catagory too.
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Trogs screwdriver was the first commercial "mech" mod as far as I know... BUT the earliest designs had a wired switch
    The pure mechanical side of things , there were probably many arising about the same time , most born of discussions over at ECF , This would include Cashmere's version of what would become the prodigy ... around the same time late 2008/ early 2009 as much as it pains me to announce (lol ) is Imeo and the birth of the GG where the switching was designed to require no wiring its development took place over months tho ... I think you will find NO definitive answer , as many devices were made by beardy guys in sheds and timeline was a fluid thing as ideas were tossed and recreated in the search of the "perfect" mod ..

* all my own recollections and my memory might be tricking me Happy to be proven wrong
    Mate, you forgetting BillyBoy ;p
    2009 made this beast and bet it wasn't the first, not really commercial and maybe not strictly Mech but worth a mention. Don't think he's got a Ural, may have had something similar
    Fatman likes this.
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

AVF Regular
    First I saw of Imeo was this
    Fatman likes this.
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

AVF Regular
    Imeo

Imeo invented everything
    Fatman and Juzm like this.
    RIP 22.12.2016

AVF Regular
    Interesting question, I found a bit of info.

"When e-cigs exploded onto the market in 2007, their users began to coalesce into online communities dedicated to the newly commercialized technology. One of the first major e-cig communities to spring up was E-Cig-Reviews.com, run by London-based Scott Bonner. And it's on sites like his and other dedicated online forums like UKVaper.org that modding was born.

"Many people these days associate 'modding' and 'mod-makers' with the engineers that are manufacturing the high-quality devices that most of us currently enjoy vaping," says Bonner when we chat about the history of the craft. "But the very early modders were the regular cig-a-like users that were tinkering with their cartridges, experimenting with different wicking materials, removing parts of the atomizer, et cetera, and we would gather on the forum, swap ideas and share our findings."

But then the tinkering began to get more extreme. Instead of just fiddling with the internals of cig-a-likes, a pair of modders known online as Trog and Mrog took the then-radical step of completely replacing the body of a standard e-cig. For what would come to be known as "The Screwdriver," the pair -- whose real names are Ted and Matt Rogers, a father-and-son team from Newark-on-Trent -- turned a small pocket torch into the atomizer and battery array"

Source

Trading addictions: the inside story of the e-cig modding scene

The oldest mod still in my collection is a Pure Smoker Legacy.

Fatman and Browny like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Imeo

Imeo invented everything
    Beat me to it!
    Juzm likes this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast