Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By triton
  • 1 Post By D1git

Thread: USB charging times

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    22

    USB charging times

    Hello,

    I had an unbranded USB charger that claimed a current of 200 mA in the specs on the back. I broke it (well, it spun around while the battery connection didn't, and I kept spinning it). So I got another charger, brand YMAY it looks like, but that's unknown to Google, so I guess that's not it. It claims a current of 420 mA. However, it takes _longer_ to charge than the 200 mA one (about 7 hours for 1000 mAh from a wall adapter, versus 5.5 hours for the broken one). Can anyone suggest a reason it won't deliver its claimed current? Also, how do you know what charger to buy to charge in the least amount of time? Obviously the current rating is no help. I'm spending half my life charging now.

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Narre Warren North, Vic.
    Posts
    2,689
    If I were you I would look at getting a 1 or 2 amp charger (1000mah or 2000mah) Anything less than 1 amp will take forever to charge anything. Adapters should have it marked on them what they are rated at.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    22
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "adapters". I thought the current limit was determined by the charger connected to the adapter, not the adapter. My wall adapter's output is 5.0V, 2.1A, and the USB charger plugs into that. I looked at USB chargers at fasttech.com and didn't see anything greater than 420mA, and I already have a charger that claims that current. What chargers do most people use?
    Crisscross likes this.

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    17,417
    I use something like this for my vision spinners. I have to say they are a couple of years old and still going strong. We charge 8 batteries a day and have spares so I don't stress over time taken.

    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...ing-cable-19cm

    Now I believe that the vision spinner v2 & 3 had problems using these and needed something specific.

    I use micro USB for my other gear.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Narre Warren North, Vic.
    Posts
    2,689
    Are you using an ego charger like this?



    Or is it a USB lead that plugs into your battery?
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bayside, Melbourne
    Posts
    2,544
    unless you have
    A relatively new PC that supports high chargiing rates on specific ports use a Mains adapter that will.

    personally would not charge anything via USB from a PC anymore.
    Fatman likes this.
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Vic,up near the Murray
    Posts
    17,897
    Quote Originally Posted by D1git View Post
    unless you have
    A relatively new PC that supports high chargiing rates on specific ports use a Mains adapter that will.

    personally would not charge anything via USB from a PC anymore.
    This .... Get a reasonable quality wall adapter with USB output ... much betterer all round .

    If you are charging thru an ego-style charger , the 420mA version is better for bigger capacity ego type batteries ( greater than 450mA in capacity ) if it's for the smaller 180-240mA cigalike batteries then you need to use the lower 180mA version charger
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

    Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011


    AVF Rules , Read and understand them

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    22
    Crisscross, I have ordered that charger to test it out, along with every other USB charger fasttech has. They are all cheap, so might as well try them all. They are still in the post, but I am trying to understand things charger-wise, hence this thread. I wondered if there's an easy way that I'm missing to get a much faster charge.

    Cams, both my chargers look very much like that. Certainly the connection at each end and the general shape are the same.

    D1git, I am using a wall adapter. I also use a PC when I charge at work. Both take roughly 7 hours for a 1000 mAh battery that flashes at me that it's had enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    This .... Get a reasonable quality wall adapter with USB output ... much betterer all round .

    If you are charging thru an ego-style charger , the 420mA version is better for bigger capacity ego type batteries
    I have the wall adapter and the replacement charger says it's 420 mA. That's what's taking 7 hours, against 5.5 hours for the 200 mA charger it replaced.
    Last edited by triton; 08-07-15 at 09:24 PM.

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    17,417
    Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    Crisscross, I have ordered that charger to test it out, along with every other USB charger fasttech has. They are all cheap, so might as well try them all. They are still in the post, but I am trying to understand things charger-wise, hence this thread. I wondered if there's an easy way that I'm missing to get a much faster charge.

    Cams, both my chargers look very much like that. Certainly the connection at each end and the general shape are the same.

    D1git, I am using a wall adapter. I also use a PC when I charge at work. Both take roughly 7 hours for a 1000 mAh battery that flashes at me that it's had enough.
    I don't monitor exactly how long the spinners take but they are 1300mah and take 2-3 hours. 7 is too long.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 10:46 AM.