Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Fluctuating resistance on Squape.

AVF Regular

Fluctuating resistance on Squape.

Hi All,

I own 2 Squape R[s], however one of them is playing up a bit, the resistance on one of them is jumping around.
    Built a 1.49 ohm and initially on the mod it will say 1.52 however after a few hours it will start going up to 1.65, this morning it was reading 1.97

If i moved the centre pin by a tad to the left and right then it will read the correct resistance again, however after a few hours it will start fluctuating again.

I have unsrew the centre pin, cleaned it and put some noalox on it, however that didn't resolve the issue.
    The other one is working perfect, no issue what so ever.

I think something inside is messing with the centre pin's conductivity so it's not reading the resistance correctly.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Cheers,
    Don.

AVF Regular
    Check your coil. If the resistance is jumping around it is the most likely culprit (eg screw/nut not tight enough, wire not seated). Unless of course it is a Chinese knock-off then it could be dodgy manufacturing.
    bk_renesis likes this.

AVF Regular
    Hi Hun,
    I have been using Squape R every day for about a year and I believe the lower 510 section is the same as yours. The 510 centre pin should not have any play in it at all (left to right).
    It is adjustable though so maybe yours is screwed out to far. Is it very pronounced?
    The mod I use has a spring loaded centre post and the atty centre pin sits about a millimetre or to clear of the threading.
    Hope that helps.
    hun113 likes this.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”
    Bill Hicks 1961-94

AVF Regular
    yep - fluctuating resistance is a shitty connection somewhere. Check it all. Good time to give your device a clean down including any threads
    hun113 likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

kjj
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    There has been talk of this in the ECF Squape forums. Stattqualm’s solution on their website is to clean the centrepin and centerpin slot with toothpaste and interdental brush. However, reports on ECF indicate that this only seems to be a temporary solution.

Jumping ohm
    hun113 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lheamfrg View Post
    Check your coil. If the resistance is jumping around it is the most likely culprit (eg screw/nut not tight enough, wire not seated). Unless of course it is a Chinese knock-off then it could be dodgy manufacturing.
    I have checked and coil is secured, i have done so many builds with both kanthal and nickel. The second R[s] have no issue at all.
    They are both genuine bought from HOV.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Motmo View Post
    Hi Hun,
    I have been using Squape R every day for about a year and I believe the lower 510 section is the same as yours. The 510 centre pin should not have any play in it at all (left to right).
    It is adjustable though so maybe yours is screwed out to far. Is it very pronounced?
    The mod I use has a spring loaded centre post and the atty centre pin sits about a millimetre or to clear of the threading.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers Motmo, i have checked the centre pin and it is quite secured and it is about 1mm out.
    It is currently sitting on my VS rDNA 40, i may try putting it on my P3 and see how it goes.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Altered1 View Post
    yep - fluctuating resistance is a shitty connection somewhere. Check it all. Good time to give your device a clean down including any threads
    Yep done that also, cleaned all threads and put some noalox on the centre pin.

Quote Originally Posted by kjj View Post
    There has been talk of this in the ECF Squape forums. Stattqualm’s solution on their website is to clean the centrepin and centerpin slot with toothpaste and interdental brush. However, reports on ECF indicate that this only seems to be a temporary solution.

Jumping ohm
    Hmmmm, will read through that and go from there.

Cheers everyone.
    Altered1 likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    ...deleted
    Last edited by oneANT; 02-03-16 at 12:24 AM.
    hun113 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by oneANT View Post
    Its not the coil, its not anything but the 510 pin and its the elephant in the room.

If there is a single fault with the squape its the small area of contact between the pin and the deck. Its weird, the facebook pages make no mention of it but if you use temp control some days its can drive you insane with check ..atomizer check ..atomizer ..check atomizer. I've written to Stattqualm but they shuck any responsibility, they say that they designed it before the DNA40 so they have no responsibility which is a foolish thing to say. What they needed to say was they have a new deck that can be purchased.

I got a spare pin and in between uses I soak the pin in silvol and wipe the threads repeatedly and soak it again. The pin isnt even in the spares kit and one didnt come with the squape. I told them so but they said it would have increased the cost too much. For all their swiss design and pricetag they can be real rednecks sometimes. The spares kit was missing the o-ring for the pin. I pointed it out and suddenly its included, and so late in the game ....seriously weird.

If you use temp control then you will want an extra pin.

Then there is that weird in out effect of screwing the pin, you can find that adjusting it will sometimes result in check atomizer but other times it changes the resistance. ..screw it in ..screw it out ..screw it in ..screw it out and each time removing the atomizer and you start to lose your mind again. The 1mm out is the position to set it but then it wants these PITA micro adjustments every so freak'n often.

Just use Kanthal (sigh).

I love the squape when its working and thats most of the time but these petty little fiddles with the 510 pin are doing my head in.
    Hahaha i hear you mate.
    I have not even started building nickel on them, just using kanthal right now.

Yes you are right, all these micro adjustments to get the resistant right is really annoying, and the fact is this problem one is not even sitting on my mod, its sitting on the missus mod. She doesn't even care about it, she is happy as long as it vapes. But I'm freaking annoyed, i would check the resistant every time she puts her mod down and do the micro adjustment, left, right, left, right of the centre pin if the resistant has changed to much.
    One thing about being an OCD
    Should just closed my eyes and not to worry about it. Not that it happened every minute, it only fluctuates after a few hours or a day.
    Will get the interdental tooth brush and cleaned her inside out on the next coil change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast