Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Northerner
  • 1 Post By Fatman

Thread: Suddenly dead battery question

AVF Regular

Suddenly dead battery question

Hi all, I noticed my mod getting hot in the pocket. Pulled it apart and let the 18650 cool. Checked it, and it is completely open circuit. No volts, no resistance. Obviously dead. Fitted fresh battery, and mod works fine.

Does this usually happen? It was fine half an hour ago.
    Last edited by Altered1; 12-07-15 at 03:56 PM.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    pushed 'on' button by mistake?
    mech or vv/vw mod ?

AVF Regular
    A Gatling VW/VV mod with all the usual bells and whistles. If it was a pocket fire, it should have stopped after 8 seconds I think? I just checked and can confirm this feature working....

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Super Moderator
    Check to see if there is any insulation damage to the heatshrink on the battery , possibly if there is you had a dead short happening ?
    Its pretty rare for a battery to just spontaneously crap itself , its usually due to an external short somewhere , or in even rarer cases if the battery had been previously abused somehow and has managed to give itself an internal short ?
    Manufacturers defect also possible but thats in "hens teeth" figures usually ?
    If its a protected cell , it could be that the protection circuitry has tripped and that's why you are getting 0 readings from it ?
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Hey FM,

It was one of those batteries I won from that comp you ran a year or so ago, Pana NCR18650PF so can confirm a known brand battery. Dunno if it's protected ?

no insulation damage, no obvious over heat marks or anything.

Only abuse has been continued usage for the past 12 months in multiple mods.

all good - time to order another.... or two
    Last edited by Altered1; 12-07-15 at 04:48 PM.

AVF Regular
    Kept thinking this, so just had to post it.

Fatman, Altered1 and CCVaper like this.

Super Moderator
    LOL those Panas are available in protected and unprotected as far as I know ... if the protection circuit has tripped , just try putting it into a charger for a few minutes and see if it resets , keep an eye( and feel) on it... could be it somehow had a short and tripped the protection
    But if its an older cell and has served you well ,its probably time to retire it
    Altered1 likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them