Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Titanium

AVF Regular

Titanium

I thought I would just share an experience I had today with titanium.

After getting some 26g titanium wire yesterday I decided to build a coil to go in my GCT. I have the RBA coils which in standard kanthal take 2 small coils, but the coils share a hole for + and - so thought why not one coil across the center. I wound a coil around 3mm and 8 wraps, tested resistance 0.48 and went to fit it into the RBA. Now these coils are the ones where one leg goes down on the outside of the rubber grommet and one goes to the inside between it and the pin. Very carefully checked what I had done and all seemed good. Wicked it, fitted the top section, made sure wick was sitting right and dropped a bit of juice onto it and fitted to tank and let sit for a while.

Initial flavour was good but started to get a bit of burnt flavour as well as quite a hot vape. Re-wicked and tried again (wick looked OK) But before I fitted tank I screwed base onto mod with some juice and fired it, I saw a small flame. At first nothing looked wrong, removed coil and found the negative leg had burnt away at the edge of the grommet and was now in 2 pieces with a nice little bauble of molten titanium on the end of the coil leg.

I also made a ni coil with the same specs 0.18 and that too started to develop a burnt flavour, haven't inspected it closely yet.

Well I think my days of titanium might be over and maybe TC.

So be careful with titanium.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular

AVF Regular
    You give up too easily.
    It needs to be a spaced coil, with none of the wraps touching.
    Make sure it isn't shorting out on any part.
    sc_rufctr and LimeB like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by disley View Post
    You give up too easily.
    It needs to be a spaced coil, with none of the wraps touching.
    Make sure it isn't shorting out on any part.
    Maybe I do. But then I find things frustrating and look for something that does work and is reliable. Just had a look at the CLR coil, tiny spaces between coils.

AVF Regular
    I don't know what the rba looks like, so I don't know why it would short out.
    Did you pulse the coil and check for shorts or hot spots?
    It took me weeks before I was satisfied with my Ti coils.
    It was the wick which made the biggest difference.

AVF Regular
    I haven't played with ti yet but when I was using ni200 coils for the sub tank I had nothing but troubles with them.

I believe it's due to the way the legs are clamped between the insulator.

I never have issues with tc on any of my rebuildables, rta or rda. Tc needs solid connections to work correctly or resistance will jump like a yoyo.

Looking at your pic you definitely have shorted and popped the coil.

Once you get the knack of nickel and or ti you'll love tc.

Keep it simple, spaced coils and solid connections and you'll be fine. Don't give up you'll be missing out =)
    disley likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yep... that looks like a hot leg. Hot legs can happen due to minor shorts, legs too long, and / or coil legs not secured solidly enough.

It needs to be said - I looked up the GCT RBA head, and that wire retention mechanism looks like it's ripped from a disposable clearo head that uses NR-R-NR coils. It was completely inappropriate of Smoktech to use that design for an RBA head.

Gromits deform with repeated uses. RBA decks are supposed to be repeatedly used.

Most people build with resistance wire only. This RBA design not only requires stupidly long legs, but has those legs sitting in direct contact with - and being held in place by - plastic gromits. Those gromits are quite likely to sizzle and taste like ass, and if they burn all the way through it could cause a pretty major short.

When you buy an RBA, you expect to be able to securely mount coils made entirely from resistance wire (unless otherwise clearly noted) on it ad infinitum. That RBA head makes me want to smack Smoktech on the ass with a rolled up newspaper.
    peter7734 likes this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Use the Titanium on a Dripper Atty, Flavour is superb.

The Coils on a Screw in head have too much wire and as Titanium has a very low resistance it is too low for the heads recommended resistance.

photo images-4_zps2e1bab4e.jpeg

AVF Regular
    Been chatting with someone online and he has been trying ti with a GCT RBA. He has experienced the same thing, 3 times. Where the bauble is on the wire is exactly where the rubber grommet starts. Seems 2 possible problems, legs too long, which would mean this RBA is useless for ti. Or it is a connection issue, I doubt this a little as the wire extended all the way out and bent over the base a little under the grommet.

I know the kanthal coils that come with the RBA are nr-r-nr so maybe that leans to a leg length issue.

AVF Regular
    Where did you get your Titanium wire from?

The only place I have brought from is E-smokeguru and Never had any issue.

I would be wary of the Ti from fastech....

photo images-4_zps2e1bab4e.jpeg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast