Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fatman
  • 1 Post By Hoofprint

Thread: Crunchy threads

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Crunchy threads

Hey all. What can I do to make crunchy metal threads on an atty or mods, well..... less crunchy. Specifically, I have a few Kayfun V4 clones which have a juice control ring and an internal part which screw together regularly. The metal on metal threads are crunchy and binding, making them less pleasant to use. Maybe they'll loosen up with use, but for now they are making me crazy. As far as I can tell, they are surfaces that don't come into contact with the juice. I'm thinking about using graphite, Vaseline, dry lube stick, or anything to make the operation smoother. My local bearing place has some food grade lubricant, and I've seen threads on function specific lube for vape gear. Is that overkill? What should I be using or not using?

Super Moderator
    If its an electrical path you can use a quality conductive grease like noalox,if not then food grade lubricant will suffice ... often a close up inspection of the threads might show up a teeny bit of swarf or an obvious cutting error which can be gently ground out ...

Problematic with cheapy stuff clones tho, you aren't paying for QC and attention to detail unfortunately

That said some exxy mods have dramas , but at least the manufacturer will honour the repair 99% of the time
    Hoofprint likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    2 things in life my old man always had no matter the situation, electrical tape and a can of WD-40.

spray a bit of WD on the threads and clean em with a cotton bud, just make sure its all dry before you start firing the mod
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    a scourer pad might help
    the plastic type ones not steel wool to avoid residue, wash it afterwards and you'll be fine either way
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

AVF Regular
    really cheap and easy solution. get a ordinary lead pencil and run it through the threads a few times. it'll leave a thin smear of graphite in the threads which will act as a lubricant plus as a bonus should be fully conductive. this also works great on sticky zippers
    I often wonder. If absolutely nothing will stick to teflon. How do they get it to stay on the frying pan?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking last night that I'll combine your suggestions. I'll wack some light oil on the parts concerned and work the shit out of them, wiping and oiling until all the rough spots have been taken out. A bit of graphite after should finish off nicely. Cheers.
    Last edited by sweetfa65; 24-07-15 at 09:30 AM.

AVF Regular
    you can soak for a day in vodka - then scrub with a toothbrush - alternatively use toothpaste to scrub with instead of soaking

if the area has no contact with juice - ie like the switch area of a nemesis mod i spray electrical contact cleaner into the threads and wipe over with a cloth after is has evaporated - great results this way