Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Battery Query.

AVF Regular

Battery Query.

Can anyone think as to why an LG HE2 might/has lasted longer in a VS rDNA 40 in comparison to a Panasonic NCR18650B?

Given that the Panasonic holds the higher capacity than the LG?

Is there a difference in the core or in the amperage? Different in how the current is drawn?

Please don't assume I understand electricity beyond "I turn on switch, witchcraft happens, I watch movie/play game etc" because I don't know much (read: nearly nothing) about batteries etc.

Edit.
    Change Samsung to Panasonic. My bad.

Sent from the future by cellular boner.
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 28-07-15 at 01:52 AM.
    Leadership is solving problems.
    The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you stopped have leading them.
    The have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded you do not care.
    Either case is a failure of leadership

General Colin Powell

ProVari V2.5 Zombie Edition, Innokin iTaste 134, Aspire Nautilus (BVC) with Brushed Steel Assay Tank, Kanger AeroTank Mega

AVF Regular
    Isn't the NCR18650B a Panasonic?

Perhaps the higher capacity battery is older and doesn't have the capacity it had when new? At what voltage point does the DNA40 cut out? Is it a set voltage or dependant on power and current? Perhaps the higher capacity battery has a lot more past the rDNA's cut off that isn't being fully utilised?

I'm only speculating, however.

AVF Regular
    All new batteries.
    Yes Panasonic, my bad lol.
    All charge to 4.2v

It hasn't cut out, just that when the VS gives the 'weak battery' it cuts me from 35 watt to 21-27 watt and it just seems to happen a bit faster with the NCR's in comprison to the HE2.

I haven't specifically measured to the minute but the HE2 really feels to run a lot longer before it cuts the wattage without consulting me or even asking permission.

The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you stopped have leading them.
    The have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded you do not care.

General Colin Powell

ProVari V2.5 Zombie Edition, Innokin iTaste 134, Aspire Nautilus (BVC) with Brushed Steel Assay Tank, Kanger AeroTank Mega

AVF Regular
    Not sure. What ohms coil are you running? Could it be that the draw is near max for the Panasonic's 6.8A but far below the LG's 20A? Would that make a large difference to battery life?
    Browny likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoself View Post
    Not sure. What ohms coil are you running? Could it be that the draw is near max for the Panasonic's 6.8A but far below the LG's 20A? Would that make a large difference to battery life?
    This , depending on the load you are subjecting them too , batteries arent just batteries , and they are not all created equal .
    Batteries with a lower amp capacity are normally made to supply small currents for a long time ... this is basically what 18650's were originally created for
    You can see below how for this cell the energy delivered drops according to the discharge load

Now dont get blinded by figures , but basically the LG's have a higher discharge rate , and therefore are able to deliver more mA under higher loads , where the panasonic having a lower rate suffers and has to work harder against the battery chemistry to deliver what you are asking of it

Think of mAh as petrol in the tank .. the discharge rate determines how wide the Pipe to the engine is... Higher discharge rate the more it can flow.... and therefore better efficiency , if that water has to be "pumped" thru the pipe (Amps) then the wide bore delivers it efficiently , and the narrow ( low discharge) pipe requires more effort ( lesser efficiency)
    its ALL about matching batteries to load for maximum efficiency and suitability ... a 3400 ma Low Drain cell in a low wattage regulated mod will deliver nearly all of its capacity ... but under stress ( high loads) it delivers less
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Think of mAh as petrol in the tank .. the discharge rate determines how wide the Pipe to the engine is... Higher discharge rate the more it can flow.... and therefore better efficiency , if that water has to be "pumped" thru the pipe (Amps) then the wide bore delivers it efficiently , and the narrow ( low discharge) pipe requires more effort ( lesser efficiency)
    FM if you're pumping water from your petrol tank I think engine ain't gonna run
    gtadmin, Fatman and Big Kahuna like this.

Super Moderator
    I nebber said I wuz meckanikel
    gtadmin, Littleraf and Big Kahuna like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

AVF Regular
    Ah Fatty,
    I was considering just sending you a PM in the beginning hahahaha.

Ever the wise man with the answers.

Looks like it is a few new HE2 or HE4 batteries for me.

General Colin Powell

AVF Regular
    Or alternatively, what would you stick in to a VS rDNA 40 Mr Fatman?

General Colin Powell

Super Moderator
    Well go with what the rating the manufacturer suggests, BUT! always a but lol .... if you are not using heap big watts and are puttering around not sub-ohming , then you can switch to Batts that might have a lower capacity "Ampwise" as in delivery potential , and a higher capacity mA storagewise?
    Mods that are built to supply big dumps of power to an atty usually specify 20A+ rated batteries ... and this is to be able to supply the Watts that Sub-ohming requires , but if you arent pulling the Amps then its not so much an issue .
    The resistance of the coil determines in the end what kind of Amp draw you need , if you are only tootle puffing away at 12W then you can easily substitute a higher capacity mA battery with a lower peak Amp draw , just don't forget if you swap the atty to something higher without remembering you have a Low Drain battery , you are gonna mess it up ... THat said I still use high draw batteries in my SX mini M-class even if I am tootling... for me its just convenience as I have batteries dedicated to mods ... VTC5's go in the SX , its just how I do it lol
    Big Kahuna likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast