• 1 Post By Fatman
  • 1 Post By Kaoself
  • 4 Post By Fractal
  • 2 Post By Robray
  • 3 Post By Dhufish

Thread: 18650 Battery (type) Legality ?

AVF Regular

18650 Battery (type) Legality ?

After having some good fortune and timing i was able to grab a JoyTech eVic from CrissCross (thanks CC). As some of you know it takes 1 x 18650 battery.

JoyTech recommends
    Model: SAMSUNG 18650
    * 2600mAh high-safety, extra large capacity,
    and high-stability dedicated lithium battery

There was only 1 place in my town that sold 18650s so off we go. Later I get home and find it was to thick and in fact it's a "protected model". I take it back asking for a non-protected 18650 only to be told that they're illegal in Australia and they won't be stocking them. Thankfully she returns the $22.95 (ouch) but i was still needing a battery.

IS THIS TRUE ? Are 18650 batteries illegal and not to be sold without protection.

Here is a vid showing the protection.
    Last edited by Dhufish; 30-07-15 at 03:28 PM.

Super Moderator
    I think she was protecting her sales base and hoping you wouldnt shop elsewhere

Hint 2 X Samsung 18650 INR 25R 2500mAh High Current Rechargeable Lithium INR 25R | eBay or http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-Samsu...item4196513b2a
    SS600 is a respected member here and will do you right
    Altered1 likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    I second fm! Ss600 has the best batts around.

AVF Regular
    Not as far as I know. Try Supersports600 supersports600 items - Get great deals on non-protected, Chargers Lithium Ion items on eBay Stores! for some Samsung 25R's or 30Q's, Sony VTC5's, LG HE2's, or whatever is best for the evic.

Edit: Beat me to it!
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Oh, i got some batts but thanks for the links

Just wondering if what i was told by the retail assistant was true or not.

Are 18650 without the battery protection chip allowed to be sold in Aus ?

AVF Regular
    Sales assistant was talking complete moo poo. Unprotected batteries are all over the place and have been for ages - lithium and otherwise. And we're not the only hobby group that uses 'em - the flashlight people have been using them far longer than we have!

However - the manufacturers of our favourite batteries do not sell them directly to end users, and state that they are intended to only be sold to OEMs for the purposes of making protected battery packs (eg, battery packs for laptops, power tools, cars... the list goes on). This is just their opinion and wishes though - it may come up in contracts between businesses (and who a supplier will or won't sell to), but it's not a law.

Just guessing - but I'd say it's more likely that the store can't get unprotected high drain 18650s from their suppliers. If they're a chain store, they probably don't have the freedom to obtain goods from other suppliers (and they probably don't get enough demand for them to try).

Even if they could supply them, they may have a company policy against it due to not wanting to be potentially liable for some of the things their customers might do to those unprotected cells.
    Fatman, Browny, Kaoself and 1 others like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Battery World at a guess?? I had the same response from them a few years ago.
    Fatman and Dhufish like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Battery World at a guess?? I had the same response from them a few years ago.
    Nailed it !
    Robray, Crisscross and Fatman like this.