Like Tree24Likes
  • 1 Post By Cashy
  • 1 Post By IvanDOTJ
  • 14 Post By Fatman
  • 8 Post By rodbam

Thread: Efest 18650 Battery Venting at 14Amp and Exploded, OUCH!!

AVF Regular

Efest 18650 Battery Venting at 14Amp and Exploded, OUCH!!

He's lucky the damn thing didn't explode in his face.

avtek likes this.
    δΣx

AVF Regular
    Heh! Bloody efest batteries, ill stick to their chargers.
    jeno1200 likes this.

AVF Regular
    The big problem here is that he can repeat the problem so it's not just one faulty battery a.

Super Moderator
    Not taking away from the dodgy battery issue which it is quite likely to be.... venting batteries are a very dodgy science ... we dont know what abuse that battery might have been subjected to in its past life either ... but for me ( and I am preparing to be stoned here ) the issue is more about the stupid ranges some of the gear is heading towards since vaping is becoming more a "sport" than a harm reduction method of quitting cigarettes ?

To compare , the wiring in your house is likely to be rated to safely carry 15 Amps albeit at a tad more voltage , but its the amps what melts stuff ! you can pass 30.000 volts thru a wire as thin as a hair .

Battery companies are upping the discharge rates on cells and messing around with trying to create stable chemistries under loads they never have before, trying to take advantage of this ... companies like Samsung and Panasonic , Sony etc, have a name they need to protect , so are more likely not to overstate or claim beyond a cells actual repeatable range of discharge and capacity. they are also more likely to batch test each run to make sure .

But all of that aside , vaping at high amp draws IS a dangerous activity , sure make it as safe as you can , but recognise you are at the limits of the gear available sub-ohming, and in a lot of cases there isnt a lot of wiggle room at the top end of rated capacities ...

For sure if that battery is venting at 1/3rd of its rating then something dodgy is going on , but I see people grabbing 200W mods these days fitting them with 25 A batteries, now even @ 100W on a 0.15 Ohm build you are pulling close to that batteries max continuous draw and a lot of continous draw specs ARE met by reliable batteries but their life and capacity suffers at that level
    http://www.orbtronic.com/battery-spe...S18650VTC5.pdf
    You will see most of the claims of cycle life and capacity etc are rated by the manufacturer @ 10A discharge levels , yet vaping stores etc conveniently forget that in their battle to separate you from your dollars in the vaping battle of battery supremacy. Sure your VCT5 can do 20-25A discharges.. is it good for it ? well not as good as 10A discharges wink wink

If you view vaping as a SPORT as opposed to keeping you off the stinkies ... Shyte is gonna happen , and thats on you just as much as the companies making the batteries .. do due diligence , and don't expect EVERY cell , from EVERY manufacturer to do what it does EVERY time ... that's just living in fairy land IMO
    If you are subohming and pushing stuff near its limits, then expect to chuck batteries after say 50 cycles or so, because each time you are hitting the button on them , you ARE degrading them... factor it into your sporting prowess

Batteries have come a long way really fast , and it seems we want more n more regardless, this comes at a cost unfortunately . Remember that manufacturing Specs can often be an average for a batch , not always specific to an individual cell. There WILL be those that perform poorly as there WILL be ones that go over and above .. its the nature of the beast .

You pays your money you takes you chance when you are at the edge ... me I am happy tootle puffing away and my batteries love me
    styxs, giruvian, gtadmin and 11 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    beautifully said fm!!!

some of the old timers here on avf rightly pointed out to me ages ago that the idea is to get a great vape using a few watts as possible - thru building well and keeping contacts clean - that kinda put me on the right course as a vaper

what a lot of people dont understand is that a battery's amp discharge rating is usually based on a fully charged battery when in new condition

who knows what this drops to as the battery runs down on power and/or ages????

AVF Regular
    I only vape at 12W & my batteries are more likely to die of boredom.
    giruvian, gtadmin, Fatman and 5 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Last edited by arth_d; 04-08-15 at 07:30 PM.