Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Smok TFV4 & RBA

AVF Regular

Smok TFV4 & RBA

Got my replacement TFV4 today after the first one had a bent 510 pin, screwing it on it was all wobbly and did not sit flush. Also when comparing the replacement the top fill is much more clicky closing and secure which is good.

I have 2 RBA heads for it and decided to build a ti first. Using 26g with 9.5 wraps around 3mm gave a resistance of 0.5ohm. Set about wicking it. Now I haven't come across a youtube clip showing this yet so had to guess a bit. I decided to lay the cotton over and into the juice ports, trim and screw top on. Some cotton can be seen inside the juice port. Thought this was the best way. Soak the wick, assemble tank and fill, loving the top fill The vape was quite underwhelming, not sure why yet but far from satisfied. I removed the RBA and the top cap to look at the wicking and it seemed good.

So step 2 I made the other RBA up with the premade coil which has a 0.7ohm resistance. Wire in this appears to be 26g kanthal, reckon some 24g might go well. Wicked it the same way, wet the wick and reassembled tank. Vape was much better, but not the best, probably due to the higher resistance.

So I tried the ti again and still the same underwhelming vape, not sure what the go here is but will continue to persevere.

I have not tried the supplied triple coil yet. They are quite expensive for a premade coil and probably won't use them.

Another point worth noting. The air flow of the RBA is quite restrictive, certainly not making the most out of the massive AFC ring.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Have you tried increasing the watts?
    When I first started using Ti I wasn't getting enough vapour until I got the wicking right.
    I found rayon works better.
    PM me your address and I'll post you some rayon on Monday.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by disley View Post
    Have you tried increasing the watts?
    When I first started using Ti I wasn't getting enough vapour until I got the wicking right.
    I found rayon works better.
    PM me your address and I'll post you some rayon on Monday.
    Don't have any Rayon. I did order some of that special cotton from HoV that is supposed to be really good but I forget the name of it ATM. Using KoGenDo now as it is all I have. The only option with the wicking is to cut it shorter but then it may struggle to come in contact with the juice. Or even shorter and have it sitting on the deck which I doubt will work at all.
    Didn't mention it before but flavour is not there enough either. Smok GCT with A1 coil at 0.5 is doing a better job. Since getting past the flaming ti leg a week ago I will persist this time.

Cheers Disley, will send PM now.

AVF Regular
    That's ok, I hope it helps.
    I don't know what it was with Ti, when I first started using it I was very disappointed.
    It's now the only wire I use, 24g and 26g work best for me.
    I think it was trial and error and just persevering.
    I use it in my 2 Lemo 1 tanks, and 2 Lemo 2 tanks, and I'm getting good results from all of them.
    I start using Ti in Temp control with the evic, now I put the 4 tanks on any mod, and adjust the watts to what gives the best results.
    Between usually 25w and 40w, although I've read the TFV4 needs 60w or more, you'll have to experiment.

AVF Regular
    How many watts are you running the 0.5ohm ti coil at?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by disley View Post
    That's ok, I hope it helps.
    I don't know what it was with Ti, when I first started using it I was very disappointed.
    It's now the only wire I use, 24g and 26g work best for me.
    I think it was trial and error and just persevering.
    I use it in my 2 Lemo 1 tanks, and 2 Lemo 2 tanks, and I'm getting good results from all of them.
    I start using Ti in Temp control with the evic, now I put the 4 tanks on any mod, and adjust the watts to what gives the best results.
    Between usually 25w and 40w, although I've read the TFV4 needs 60w or more, you'll have to experiment.
    Only TC's I have are eVic, I have 2 now because I liked them so much and my isticks died. In TC I leave it at 60w and let the device work it out as I vape. The triple and quad coils that you can get for the TFV4 do need a lot of power as they are low ohms, I think the quad is around 0.15ohms. But that doesn't matter for what I want to do. 26g ti gave me 0.5 reckon 24g could be the go and hopefully have it around 0.3, better wicking and hopefully it will be good.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B_86 View Post
    How many watts are you running the 0.5ohm ti coil at?
    Set at max 60 watts for the eVic. I think Disley might be onto it with the wicking. When vaping it I noticed it was going into temp protection a fair bit, well more than I would like.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post
    Set at max 60 watts for the eVic. I think Disley might be onto it with the wicking. When vaping it I noticed it was going into temp protection a fair bit, well more than I would like.
    Ah ok yeah, I was thinking maybe too much coil and not enough wattage but 60w should be heaps. Disley is probably right, might be hitting the temp too quick due to insufficient wicking. From what I've seen of the deck it looks like cotton in the juice channels is going to be a must to avoid leaking but at the same time you don't want too much.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B_86 View Post
    Ah ok yeah, I was thinking maybe too much coil and not enough wattage but 60w should be heaps. Disley is probably right, might be hitting the temp too quick due to insufficient wicking. From what I've seen of the deck it looks like cotton in the juice channels is going to be a must to avoid leaking but at the same time you don't want too much.
    Don't think I have too much. The juice has a fair way to travel upwards to get to the coil so good wicking will be essential which I think is where the problem is.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post
    Don't think I have too much. The juice has a fair way to travel upwards to get to the coil so good wicking will be essential which I think is where the problem is.
    If you still stuck after playing with the wicking perhaps post a pick of your build complete with wick. Maybe someone will spot something.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast