Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Stainless Steel coils.

AVF Regular

Stainless Steel coils.

I've made my first ss coil, and I'm really happy with it.
    I was put onto the shop which sells it by scag, he works near there.
    I have the website, I'm not sure if I can put it in this post.
    I'm not suggesting you buy it from here, because I don't know enough about it.
    I would be happier if they could give the composition of the metal in a form I've read about, such as 316 or 317L.
    Stuff we are familiar with from using ss tanks. This just says dental grade.
    I'm not worried it will hurt me, but caution is required.
    I used 0.5mm dia stainless steel, 9 wraps 2.5mm I.D. Came out at 0.5ohms.
    It needs a little more power to get it hot, as there are so many wraps, 30-36watts is plenty, but it'll go much higher.
    I can't get it to work in TC mode, but so far I've come no where near a dry hit.
    I prefer it to kanthal, once it's easy to source it'll be very popular, I'll still use titanium.
    The ss is harder and more springy, but still easy to use.
    If you get the chance, give it a go.
    Cashy likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've got some 26g 316L coming, keen to give it a try.

AVF Regular
    I'll be giving Ti and SS a shot this weekend. I went with 26g for both. Can't wait to check them out. I've noticed small flakes coming up the drip tip on my Ni builds, so will be replacing that with the Ti.
    δΣx

AVF Regular
    I replaced a titanium coil with the SS, and the Ti coil I took out of the atty still looked very clean after 4 weeks.
    I'm getting lots of vapour from the SS, there's no taste from it, only on the first few puffs, and that could have been the wick.

AVF Regular
    Been using ss for my mech builds for a good few months now. got mine from vape-atomizer-mesh as soon as it was listed. in my opinion its a crap ton better than kanthal. ramp up time is close to nothing. and its alot lower resistance which means more wraps for the same ohm builds. good to see almost every site stocking them now. flavour is the same as kanthal but it doesnt build up gunk like kanthal. so the same flavour as a new coil consistently. kanthal tends to get muted after awhile. if youre going really low ohm builds like me, there is a bit of a break in period. not sure if that has to do more with the wick or wire. but with kanthal i get good flavour straight away. with ss it takes about a few hrs of use before it really settles.
    J_B_86 likes this.

AVF Regular
    If im not mistaken the dna 200 is the only chip that supports temp control on SS wires.
    Correct me if im wrong.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bronco View Post
    Been using ss for my mech builds for a good few months now. got mine from vape-atomizer-mesh as soon as it was listed. in my opinion its a crap ton better than kanthal. ramp up time is close to nothing. and its alot lower resistance which means more wraps for the same ohm builds. good to see almost every site stocking them now. flavour is the same as kanthal but it doesnt build up gunk like kanthal. so the same flavour as a new coil consistently. kanthal tends to get muted after awhile. if youre going really low ohm builds like me, there is a bit of a break in period. not sure if that has to do more with the wick or wire. but with kanthal i get good flavour straight away. with ss it takes about a few hrs of use before it really settles.
    What gauge SS do you prefer and why?

AVF Regular
    Success!! Just finished building my first SS316L dual coils. 26g, 6 wraps on 2.5mm. They came out at 0.2 ohms. 35-40w is my sweet spot atm. Might go 0.3-0.4 ohms on the next one.
    δΣx

AVF Regular
    The ss coils on the crown clearo takes a while to break in (for me its 2 tanks) not to say yalls opinions are wrong

AVF Regular
    It doesn't take long to get through two tanks.
    I used 9 wraps of 24g, and it gives out lots of vapour, although the taste is muted atm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast