• 1 Post By Kaoself
  • 2 Post By IvanDOTJ
  • 2 Post By JWH
  • 5 Post By Fractal
  • 1 Post By C00kiebr0s

Thread: Question about Mech Mods and Batterys

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Question about Mech Mods and Batterys

So I ordered my first mech mod, but I'm not really sure when I'm supposed to recharge the Batterys, how to I know they are flat? Also is there anything else I should know about 18650 Batterys?

Mech mod: cigreen big foot
    Bigfoot Mechanical Box Mod | VapourEyes

Rda: wotofo troll
    Troll RDA - Wotofo | VapourEyes

Batterys: LG HG2 20a 3000mah
    LG HG2 18650 Battery - 3000mAh 20A | VapourEyes

Charger: nitecore u20
    Nitecore U20 USB Battery Charger - Dual Bay | VapourEyes

AVF Regular
    um.... I suggest you brush up on ohms law, and understand what happens if you exceed peak discharge rate on your battery. Get it wrong and you'll get hurt.

you'll know when the battery needs a recharge - the flavour and vapour produced will drop off..... but dont send them full flat.
    JWH and Fatman like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    If you periodically check the battery with a multimeter, especially when the vape quality feels like it's declining, you'll soon get an idea of when a battery needs re charging and be able to quite accurately guess it's voltage.
    JWH likes this.

AVF Regular
    I personally just charge them as soon as I feel that it isn't hitting as hard, and it's pretty noticeable really. It won't be hitting as hard amd it won't produce as much clouds and the ramp up time extremely decreases.
    JWH and Altered1 like this.

JWH
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Altered1 View Post
    um.... I suggest you brush up on ohms law, and understand what happens if you exceed peak discharge rate on your battery. Get it wrong and you'll get hurt.

you'll know when the battery needs a recharge - the flavour and vapour produced will drop off..... but dont send them full flat.
    ULTRA IMPORTANT TO LISTEN TO THIS POINT
    HERE IS A LINK TO LEARN ABOUT OHMS LAW
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xF1RJFEP4w&autoplay=1
    sorry for yelling but I forgot the caps lock was on and I canne be bothered going back and re typing it
    Fatman and avtek like this.

AVF Regular
    use this calculator to learn about what build will draw what ohms

vapecalc.com

also with mechs u have to keep them clean - i wipe all the contact points and threads with a tissue every couple of days - otherwise the vape deteriorates cos of reduced amount of power flowing from the battery to the coil

then about once a week i clean the threads and contacts with electrical contact cleaner spray

if you dont do this then over time you will feel like your batteries are flat when they are not

AVF Regular
    Pretty much as above - you'll know when it's charge time when the vapour production drops off, and you get a feel for it after a while.

Though given that it takes a while to get a feel for it, you may want to check it more often (say, every few atty fills) until you get a feel for it. Doing that, and keeping a mental note of it also gives you an idea of how many "dripperfuls" you can get out of a charge. It'll be a pain in the bum at first, but it's all part of the learning curve .

Also be aware that the rate of discharge will change with the type of build you're running (lower resistance builds will deplete the battery faster).

I normally charge my batts around 3.8v-ish (or above), but I don't go under 3.4v (adds in a bit of margin of error). I would immediately write-off any battery that goes under 3v - it's cheaper and easier to buy a new battery than it is to buy a new face!

With a dual battery mod, you're going to want to pair those batteries up. They go in the mod at the same time, they get charged together, they never separate. This is to keep the internal resistance of the batteries as closely matched as possible, to keep them discharging at (as close as possible to) the same rate. This will prevent a situation where you've got one battery with a much higher voltage than the other (which could cause cell damage, or over draining a cell without noticing it)

A small sticker or a bit of coloured tape, or if you can find something that can write on the wrap - use that to mark them as a pair. Sure, you may not have a giant stack of 18650s now... .

Also, marking the batteries at the same end will also be a nice big visual indicator of polarity. You really don't want to have a brainfart with this box - instant hard short if one of the batteries goes in arse about (from what I've read when looking up if this was in parallel or series... which is information that should be clearly stated on the product page of every dual battery mod, imho).

As with any mech - know your amp draw (again, as above with the ohms law). Ohms law calculators are quick and easy, here's one I use.

With two batteries wired in parallel (as the Cigreen Bigfoot is) your voltage stays the same as a single battery (4.2v fully charged), and your amp limit doubles on paper. It is best not to exceed 80% of the theoretical amp limit when dealing with batteries in parallel, to allow for resistance between the cells.

So, that's two 20A batteries, making for a theoretical limit of 40A. 80% of that is 32A - which is what I would personally stay under.

If you don't have a way of checking your builds resistance (either on an ohms checker or on a regulated mod - most standard multi-meters aren't all that accurate for the tiny resistances we deal in), you're going to want to sort that out before you start building.

Inspect your batteries regularly. A quick look over them at charge time is fine. Damaged wrappings may expose the metal exterior of your battery, which is also the battery negative. You do not want damaged wrap causing your battery to touch and short on the inside of your mod (particularly with metal mods. The anodising will insulate the interior of the mod, but you really don't want to rely on that).
    JWH, gtadmin, Fatman and 2 others like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. just so you know i do know sort of what im doing, i do understand and know how to use ohms law (im studding at TAFE to be an electrician) i just wasn't sure on the battery's and charging/discharging them. Thanks again!
    JWH likes this.