Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Airflow direction

AVF Regular

Airflow direction

So recently there have been a few atties come out that attempt to direct the airflow inside the Atty. Angled airholes that are meant to make the air spin around inside the chamber. With the claim that it increases flavour, or vapour, or your attractiveness to female elk or whatever...

I have a few issues with this. First all the shit inside the Atty is going to get in the way of the air. Any uniformity of direction is going to be inluenced more by whatever the posts and screws and coils and wicks do to it than a 30 angle on a 5mm hole on the side will.

Second. Who says that even if the air did a dyson inside the Atty it would have any noticeable effect at all?

Lastly, do you think that imperceptible changes in the way that you draw on the Atty would Change character of the Vape to such an extent that any modification to the airflow that did happen because of the hardware would be untestable by something as subjective as a human opinion?

So, airflow direction...merit or marketing?
    Timm4h likes this.

AVF Regular
    I call marketing but when I first tried ohm nation turbine idea, I was kind of blown away. But who knows, everything is moving so quickly it's kinda hard to decipher what's good and what's bad...

Super Moderator
    * Warning .... random sciencey ramblings of a non-tasting madman to follow!

IMO in an atty you are either going to get one of two things happening , a linear airpath , where there is a relatively steady airflow from point A to point B , or a turbulent airflow , where the air is interrupted in a path or has to flow around obstacles... linear design atties rely on the wick and coil providing a degree of turbulence .
    In essence we are relying on evaporation ( atomisation) from the energy introduced to the coil and the airflow inside the atomiser to transport our goodness to us
    With a wick and coil being a "rod" form in effect airflow around it will result in one side having a "heavy" linear airflow and the obverse side relying on low pressure turbulence to bring air to the surface of the wick and coil... one side is being cooled more than the other .. this cooling is brought about by the evaporation of the e-liquid...more evaporation , more liquid being consumed, more capillary effect bringing more juice to the heating area?
    So in effect it is not an "optimal" system there are different effects depending on where the air flows ... I think the turbulence factors involved inside a chamber help balance this out ... also why smaller chambers are regarded as more flavourful ... smaller chamber , less "dead" areas, more air influence where it counts?
    So I can see merit in Vortice arrangement if a venturi design is in place as it will accelerate airspeeds ( which in turn leads to greater turbulence when obstructions are met) but theoretically anything which exposes MORE of the coil to airflow More evenly will result in greater evaporation and transference... also why vertical wicks work a bit better if fed from below with swirling airflow , you get a column of air whirling around the length of the wick and coil effectively increasing the flow coverage of the coil?

All of that said , everything about vaping is also subjective LOL ... but think of it in fluid dynamics terms ... our vaping relies on energy and evaporation to transfer the eliquid to us ... therefore the more air on more of a coil surface will make it more efficient as long as the power source is capable of maintaining a temperature.

That being said probably the TASTIEST arrangement I could envisage would be a system in which the air came from INSIDE a wick and coil and passed thru the wick and coil itself in an even flow along the entire heating area to the outside thus giving you 100% even exposure ... think of it as a hose capped at one end with a million holes wrapped in wick and coil ... and any air passing thru HAD to encounter either wick or coil in equal amounts over the entire surface of the build ...

And theres an idea for free for all you innovators

( I would be a rich man if I didnt give it all away LMFAO ! )
    btobw, Browny, Hoofprint and 1 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    alright who gave FM the mic again..... back in your cage....
    all that sciencey airflow timey wimy stuff just confuses us stoopid people

But in all seriousness i would pay for a FM desgined atty. aslong as it looks sexy on a Dimitri
    Fatman and btobw like this.

AVF Regular

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    That was all quite clear, just didn't get the part after * Warning.

Just after the second dot.
    Crisscross, Fatman and btobw like this.
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

LNB
    AVF Regular

IMO in an atty you are either going to get one of two things happening , a linear airpath , where there is a relatively steady airflow from point A to point B , or a turbulent airflow , where the air is interrupted in a path or has to flow around obstacles... linear design atties rely on the wick and coil providing a degree of turbulence .
    In essence we are relying on evaporation ( atomisation) from the energy introduced to the coil and the airflow inside the atomiser to transport our goodness to us
    With a wick and coil being a "rod" form in effect airflow around it will result in one side having a "heavy" linear airflow and the obverse side relying on low pressure turbulence to bring air to the surface of the wick and coil... one side is being cooled more than the other .. this cooling is brought about by the evaporation of the e-liquid...more evaporation , more liquid being consumed, more capillary effect bringing more juice to the heating area?
    So in effect it is not an "optimal" system there are different effects depending on where the air flows ... I think the turbulence factors involved inside a chamber help balance this out ... also why smaller chambers are regarded as more flavourful ... smaller chamber , less "dead" areas, more air influence where it counts?
    So I can see merit in Vortice arrangement if a venturi design is in place as it will accelerate airspeeds ( which in turn leads to greater turbulence when obstructions are met) but theoretically anything which exposes MORE of the coil to airflow More evenly will result in greater evaporation and transference... also why vertical wicks work a bit better if fed from below with swirling airflow , you get a column of air whirling around the length of the wick and coil effectively increasing the flow coverage of the coil?

All of that said , everything about vaping is also subjective LOL ... but think of it in fluid dynamics terms ... our vaping relies on energy and evaporation to transfer the eliquid to us ... therefore the more air on more of a coil surface will make it more efficient as long as the power source is capable of maintaining a temperature.

That being said probably the TASTIEST arrangement I could envisage would be a system in which the air came from INSIDE a wick and coil and passed thru the wick and coil itself in an even flow along the entire heating area to the outside thus giving you 100% even exposure ... think of it as a hose capped at one end with a million holes wrapped in wick and coil ... and any air passing thru HAD to encounter either wick or coil in equal amounts over the entire surface of the build ...

And theres an idea for free for all you innovators

( I would be a rich man if I didnt give it all away LMFAO ! )

Fatman, btobw, akef38 and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    personally I think its like some 'audiophile' speaker cables. The psychological effect of spending more on something makes you think its better (or you don't want to admit you got duped). I'd like to see a legit double blind, where people can actually pick the difference significantly more than guessing, before I'd be plonking down any clams.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus vntosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

AVF Regular
    Agree with rest, calm down FM haha

Super Moderator
    OK I change my mind .. nup its all bollocks
    here have a kitty pic

gtadmin, Crisscross, jen and 6 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast