Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Fatman
  • 2 Post By Fractal

Thread: Noob battery question

AVF Regular

Noob battery question

It's me again with another of my dunce questions. Just wondering can you use any 18650 battery with a VW device? So an example, I'm using a 2200mah with my ipv2. If I bought a 3000mah battery to replace the other, would it be safe? I'm assuming that it is but I thought I'd double check. Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Heya HS .. the battery capacity (Ma) isnt always relative to the DISCHARGE rate ... which is what needs to be considered when selecting batteries for all mods.
    What counts with battery selection is what LOAD it will be subjected to ... if on a VW device you are only pulling 5-15W then pretty much any battery will do , but if you are sub-ohming and pulling 30-100W say , then you are going to need an 18650 with a greater than 20A discharge capability.

Battery selection should always be made with a safety allowance regarding the maximum Amp draw it will be subjected to ... if in doubt go with Higher Discharge... you wont harm a HD cell much by under drawing it , but you will sure as hell damage a Low Discharge cell trying to drag Amps out of it that it wasnt designed for .

So really until you specify the load the battery will be subjected to , we cant really answer in absolutes
    Last edited by Fatman; 22-09-15 at 03:08 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Thanks fatty! I'm a sub-ohmer hitting at anywhere between 30-50W, usually around the 35 mark. So I need a battery with at least 20A, correct?

AVF Regular
    Not a dunce question at all - just because a battery will fit doesn't make it a suitable battery!

Yes, you can safely run different batteries. The mAh is just capacity though, what's really important in determining whether or not a particular 18650 is suitable to vape with is the amp limit and the chemistry (and, you know, being from a brand without "fire" in the name ).

Stick to high drain batteries - at least 20A continuous and a safe chemistry. LG HG2, Samsung 25R, Sony VTC4 / VTC5, LG HE2 / HE4, etc.

If in doubt about a particular battery, you can always ask the vendor (if they are vaping friendly - a vape shop or supersports) or ask the forum.

I assume by the 3000mAh you're thinking LG HG2 (the poo brown ones). Yep, they're a fine battery. I was actually thinking of picking some up myself soon-ish.

You could also be looking at Samsung 30-Q, which are also 3000mAh, though I personally think the 15A continuous discharge rating is a bit on the low side (so I'd go the LG HG2).

I believe the amp cut off of the IPV2 is 20A... so having a battery that is rated for 20A or higher continuous discharge means you can crank up your mod all the way up and not exceed the safe amp limit of your battery.
    Fatman and Dhufish like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Awesome. Thanks heaps for your help! Very much appreciated!

AVF Regular
    Seek ohms law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
    You could also be looking at Samsung 30-Q, which are also 3000mAh, though I personally think the 15A continuous discharge rating is a bit on the low side (so I'd go the LG HG2).
    I think Supersport tested these and rated them higher than the listed 15 amps.

AVF Regular
    Just get some 25r's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk