Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What are the best mods and atties to buy atm?

AVF Regular

What are the best mods and atties to buy atm?

So I have been around a while now and while snus is my true love- I do get asked alot by potential vapers (and some current vapers)the big question about what are the best mods and atties to buy- Personally I dont recommend egos and spinners anymore, still prefer carto tanks when the need arises-

But being around the traps for a long time now and presented with such a huge range to choose from, even I get confused about what to recommend- subtanks, herkules tanks, carto tanks, and then there are the mods

So my question is this

What is a good value for money setup to recommend to potential vapers and those wanting to move on from their egos and MVPs?

It seemed so simple even a year ago ....
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    This maybe an open ended question. Quality and price varies in this space. I can offer you my opinion
    Firtly, value for money is subjective - As in, more expensive American products (they are perceived to last longer) to cheap Chinese clones (some infact are good)

My position is somewhere in between

New vapers would like the no fuss approach.
    Subbox Kit is good - although not as scalable as say a Evic VT kit, in which it has a lot of room to upgrade, temp control and decent battery life.

Super Moderator
    New vapers? An eGo-One 1100 using CLR 1 ohm coils. Discrete, cheap, reliable, good performance and replaceable coils (which can be rebuilt if so desired ). On-board charging to boot

Team that with unflavored juice and you are replicating the act of smoking ...

Written on 21st Century papyrus
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Super Moderator
    ^^^ he speaks sense this fella
    bk_renesis likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Im gonna have to second gtadmin! Works well and cheap so it's not much of a loss if they decide vaping is not for them.

AVF Regular
    To be honest, I think most of the hardware from the known manufacturers is pretty good stuff these days. Even the more basic mods are usually 40W+, step down for running higher ohm / tighter draw tanks, and are still ballsy enough to run a basic sub ohm tank well should the owner want to do that. So here's some names I usually throw at people...

Joyetech eGo One kit... the thread has already been there. Great for an introduction to vaping, or an upgrade for people that were happy with a simple eGo setup that has either failed, or that they can no longer source replacement atty parts for (that is actually becoming a problem for some 2011 - 2012 era top coil clearos). Also for fans of simplicity and stealth.

eLeaf iStick 40W TC - Not so much for the TC mode, but more for the size. It's very close to the 30W size (slightly bigger) so it's small and light, but it feels better made, and the shape feels better in the hand. Battery life is a bit on the small side though.

Innokin Coolfire IV - It's a basic 40W VW only mod, easy to use, looks pretty slick, and very well made. This thing feels very solid in the hand.

Kanger Subox Kit - It's a basic VW only, decently built, decent looking 50W box with a colour matched Kanger Subtank. Nothing special feature wise (typical 18650, magnetic door, USB charging, sprung centre post [later revisions only!]), but good simple setup - particularly if someone just wants a kit they can add juice and a battery to, and blow some clouds without thinking about hardware too much.

Joyetech VTC Mini - Weird suggestion, but I'm more throwing this in for existing vapers looking for an upgrade, or people looking to outlay a little bit more cash for a mod flexible enough to stay with them in to the hobbyist side of vaping (not all of us went in to this for practical quitting reasons ).

I will refrain from breaking in to a full review here, but suffices to say I like this mod. Huge clear outdoor readable screen, well built, nice size and weight, magnetic battery door is very solid, stainless 510 threads and sprung positive, USB charging and user updatable firmware (quick and easy, and there have been updates already. Firmware update software available for Windows and Mac only though), and a great feature set - VW (75W with update), TC Ni200, TC Ti, rumoured TC with SS in a future update, "Bypass mode" (dump battery voltage to atty, like a mech), working stepdown, puff counter (meh...), can display amp draw in real time (not overly useful, but cool), can display internal unit temperature (again, not directly useful but cool), 8.5v max, stealth mode, button locks, and the usual protections.

The menu can be a bit annoying at times though (have to "loop around"), and the eGo One clearo in the full kit isn't worth a damn (mod only is the way to go for this one - pair it with a Subtank Mini or something instead).

Tank wise, I keep hearing the Aspire Nautilus / Nautilus Mini line is still popular as a higher resistance / tighter draw tank. That and the Silo tank. Cheap coils too.

I like the Kanger Subtank Mini. Parts are easy to source - it's easy to find and swap out different coloured o-rings and glass, and there's the options of different (and reasonably priced) pre-made heads (Kanthal and Ni200 - though the Ni200 aren't fantastic), and it comes with a really nice, easy to build on RBA section (which works fine with TC wires). It's taken ever drip tip I've thrown at it. Easy to clean, easy to fill, and you can pull the deck mid-tank. It's a simple solid workhorse that's easy to live with, and a good stepping stone in to rebuilding.

I've heard great things about the Uwell Crown tank with regards to flavour and vapour production, but haven't used one myself.

One thing that's worth mentioning to anyone starting out - look at the prices of heads before buying a tank. Modern tanks are cheap, but pre made heads for some of them can run up to $5 a piece, and may not be easily rebuilt (I'm looking at you, Delta 2... and your optional $15 RBA head). Writing one of those off on a crappy juice, incorrect priming, or incorrect mod settings - all things that can happen to inexperienced vapers - is going to suck.
    Last edited by Fractal; 25-10-15 at 06:10 PM.
    Fatman, steve.c, Mr Young and 3 others like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Gtadman where can I buy the ego 1100 with the clr 1. Ohm coils sounds like something I would be interested in

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
    To be honest, I think most of the hardware from the known manufacturers is pretty good stuff these days. Even the more basic mods are usually 40W+, step down for running higher ohm / tighter draw tanks, and are still ballsy enough to run a basic sub ohm tank well should the owner want to do that. So here's some names I usually throw at people...

Joyetech eGo One kit... the thread has already been there. Great for an introduction to vaping, or an upgrade for people that were happy with a simple eGo setup that has either failed, or that they can no longer source replacement atty parts for (that is actually becoming a problem for some 2011 - 2012 era top coil clearos). Also for fans of simplicity and stealth.

eLeaf iStick 40W TC - Not so much for the TC mode, but more for the size. It's very close to the 30W size (slightly bigger) so it's small and light, but it feels better made, and the shape feels better in the hand. Battery life is a bit on the small side though.

Innokin Coolfire IV - It's a basic 40W VW only mod, easy to use, looks pretty slick, and very well made. This thing feels very solid in the hand.

Kanger Subox Kit - It's a basic VW only, decently built, decent looking 50W box with a colour matched Kanger Subtank. Nothing special feature wise (typical 18650, magnetic door, USB charging, sprung centre post [later revisions only!]), but good simple setup - particularly if someone just wants a kit they can add juice and a battery to, and blow some clouds without thinking about hardware too much.

Joyetech VTC Mini - Weird suggestion, but I'm more throwing this in for existing vapers looking for an upgrade, or people looking to outlay a little bit more cash for a mod flexible enough to stay with them in to the hobbyist side of vaping (not all of us went in to this for practical quitting reasons ).

I will refrain from breaking in to a full review here, but suffices to say I like this mod. Huge clear outdoor readable screen, well built, nice size and weight, magnetic battery door is very solid, stainless 510 threads and sprung positive, USB charging and user updatable firmware (quick and easy, and there have been updates already. Firmware update software available for Windows and Mac only though), and a great feature set - VW (75W with update), TC Ni200, TC Ti, rumoured TC with SS in a future update, "Bypass mode" (dump battery voltage to atty, like a mech), working stepdown, puff counter (meh...), can display amp draw in real time (not overly useful, but cool), can display internal unit temperature (again, not directly useful but cool), 8.5v max, stealth mode, button locks, and the usual protections.

The menu can be a bit annoying at times though (have to "loop around"), and the eGo One clearo in the full kit isn't worth a damn (mod only is the way to go for this one - pair it with a Subtank Mini or something instead).

Tank wise, I keep hearing the Aspire Nautilus / Nautilus Mini line is still popular as a higher resistance / tighter draw tank. That and the Silo tank. Cheap coils too.

I like the Kanger Subtank Mini. Parts are easy to source - it's easy to find and swap out different coloured o-rings and glass, and there's the options of different (and reasonably priced) pre-made heads (Kanthal and Ni200 - though the Ni200 aren't fantastic), and it comes with a really nice, easy to build on RBA section (which works fine with TC wires). It's taken ever drip tip I've thrown at it. Easy to clean, easy to fill, and you can pull the deck mid-tank. It's a simple solid workhorse that's easy to live with, and a good stepping stone in to rebuilding.

I've heard great things about the Uwell Crown tank with regards to flavour and vapour production, but haven't used one myself.

One thing that's worth mentioning to anyone starting out - look at the prices of heads before buying a tank. Modern tanks are cheap, but pre made heads for some of them can run up to $5 a piece, and may not be easily rebuilt (I'm looking at you, Delta 2... and your optional $15 RBA head). Writing one of those off on a crappy juice, incorrect priming, or incorrect mod settings - all things that can happen to inexperienced vapers - is going to suck.
    This is probably the best post ive read, as a beginner, that uasnt confused me with being too over technical.
    This should be a sticky thread !!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Lucretia_Zen likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by anne View Post
    Gtadman where can I buy the ego 1100 with the clr 1. Ohm coils sounds like something I would be interested in
    I started a 58yo woman on these with unflavoured, 0mg nic and she is okay with it. So, and because he has coils in stock, https://www.vapersphere.com.au/shop/...e-starter-kit/ and for the coils https://www.vapersphere.com.au/shop/...nt-coil-heads/

They can be a bit hard for us oldies to fill, I use a needle nose bottle and make sure you do it in good light. Also, don't forget to prime the coil before initial use.
    Fatman likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by anne View Post
    You might like the ego one mega, its the same but a bit bigger, 4 ml tank instead of 2.5ml so its a bit easier to fill and a bigger battery.
    Although a tree is a thousand Chang in height, its leaves still fall to the ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast