Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Istick 30w Charging issue-help needed

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Istick 30w Charging issue-help needed

So I put my relatively new istick 30w on to charge and about 30 minutes later I can hear a slight clicking sound. Being ever paranoid about charging safety, I jump up and touched the battery. I got a small shock accompanied by a loud 'electrical' zap for my stupidity. The wall adapter has a distinct burnt electrical smell. The istick seems to be cool to touch now, but it is currently sitting outside in a safety bag just to be sure. I suspect this battery also auto-fired on one occasion about a day after I received it. At the time I dismissed the incident because it was in my pocket, and could have been triggered by movement. Now I am not so sure. The charger used was the one that came with the device, purchased from a reputable Australian vendor.

I won't use that istick again, however my back-up is an istick 50w, for which I use the same charger when travelling. My issue now is that I am currently in Port Augusta for work, with no ready access to a vape store. I will need to replace the charger pretty soon (like tomorrow!), but I really don't know what a safe charger is-even after reading through the various battery threads. I just got confused!

I do have a Samsung galaxy charger that fits, but it seems these are not appropriate for the Istick. Can anyone confirm that?
    Is anyone able give advice about a suitable adapter that could be purchased from a large retailer like Harvey Norman, Big W etc? There is not much choice in retail outlets here.

Sigh, the irony of all of this is that I bought the 30w primarily due to battery safety concerns with the 50w!

AVF Regular
    Ive just charged mine via USB from computer no problems last 9 months
    Im lazy
    akef38 and Wylie like this.

Big shout out to AVF and Everyone that helped me on my Journey to quit the the Death Sticks

Well it might be that or quit. I'm not sure I am ready for that just yet!

AVF Regular
    really dont know what input te iStick can handle but would suggest if you're going to pick up a USB wall charger that anything rated 1A or less would be the best bet.
    The Galaxy charger is going to be 2A at least and you'll notice the battery on the iStck will get hot (not good)
    Don't like to recommend it but it might be worth just plugging it into a computer USB to charge (most new PCs will handle 1A over the uSB for extended periods and will blow a cip before burning things down)
    shaneo and Wylie like this.
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

Thanks D1git, that advice makes sense to me. I really don't want to burn down the hotel I am staying in. They might get a bit cranky!
    D1git and shaneo like this.

AVF Regular
    Had a look at mine
    not that i use
    Output 5v -500mA

Dont know if that helps
    Hang in there mate

Big shout out to AVF and Everyone that helped me on my Journey to quit the the Death Sticks

Super Moderator
    I'm travelling through Pt Augusta tomorrow. If you can't pick up a 700mA charger from a electrical store this morning, let me know and I'll get one from Dicks Smiths and drop it in.

Written on 21st Century papyrus
    Robray, Fatman, shaneo and 1 others like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Super Moderator
    I also have a spare istick 20w if you are interested?

Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Oh that is such a kind offer gtadmin! This community is so helpful- or maybe it's a SA thing, this is the first time I've been in this part of the world and have been struck by how friendly everyone is.

It just so happens I was going to visit Whyalla today anyway, so now I know **** Smith has what I want I will drop in there. You are a lifesaver gtadmin, thanks. As for the 20w, can I take a raincheck? I am here for a few weeks and will try to get by on what I have, but if something goes wrong I may well need an emergency replacement, and Whyalla is a lot closer than Adelaide for me to get to
    Fatman likes this.

Super Moderator
    Do you want me to check first mate? I'm going there in an hour or so. The 20w is for nix BTW

Fatman likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast