Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By nikolous
  • 2 Post By D1git
  • 1 Post By Fractal

Thread: Using sub ohm NI200 coils on non TC mods

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Using sub ohm NI200 coils on non TC mods

I've just started getting into NI200 TC. My first attempt is a Subtank mini RBA at .14 ohm. I have 3 of these, and have a eVic VT and a Smok M80. What would I expect to happen if I used one of these coils on a non TC mod? Likewise, can I also use NI200 coils on my Lemo and Kayfuns?

AVF Regular
    non tc mod wouldn't regulate the temperature firstly.
    Secondly the ni200 coils could get to a high temp and then form chemicals/oxidation that's bad for your health
    Josh84 likes this.

AVF Regular
    do not use Ni 200 on non TC mods!
    Fatman and Josh84 like this.
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Ok, cool. Thanks guys.

AVF Regular
    If it were a regulated mod, it may not fire the coil at all (resistance too low). If it's an unregulated mod (like a mech), the super low resistance may draw too many amps from the battery, causing battery damage and possible venting / fire / blowing up.

If the Ni200 coil does fire without temp control - as already said - nasty chemicals could be produced if the temperature gets too high (which, without regulation, it will very quickly).

So yeah, you don't want to run Ni200 coils without TC. It's a bad idea.

For the other half of the question - absolutely! You can use Ni200 wire to build coils for other attys. Just be sure to run them on TC mods when you do. You can also use Ni200 wire when making coils for a dripper, too.

For best results, use attys that have a solid positive pin. There are some out there with springs or screws, or other such things used to give the atty the ability to have an adjustable positive 510 pin (eg, Russian 91%, Expromizer). These can cause problems with TC being inconsistent, or just not working as expected.

Ah! I should add - when building a coil in Ni200 (for TC), you're going to want to build a spaced coil. You don't want the wraps touching at all. Try to space them out slightly further than you would for a spaced Kanthal coil, to allow for movement when mounting and wicking.
    Last edited by Fractal; 28-10-15 at 03:20 PM.
    D1git likes this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.