Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Vaping With Nickel

AVF Regular

Vaping With Nickel

I'm not sure if I am opening a can of worms here but does anyone have concerns about possible heath risks with using nickel wire. Leeching, Allergies ect. Pulmonary absorption is the major route of concern for nickel-induced toxicity and given that Nickel is a soft metal and is some nasty shit .... are you concerned, I'm curious to know what you guys think.
    Although a tree is a thousand Chang in height, its leaves still fall to the ground.

AVF Regular
    Issues have been raised previously. Personally I think there is better wire for temp control instead of nickel.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    I used nickel before for temp control. Currently I've moved to titanium because it's a much more satisfying vape. I did some research and mostly the risks are associated with vaping at higher temperatures so using temp control should curb that risk.

Super Moderator
    Worm cans are not a problem

One thing about vaping is to remind yourself it is not about nor never has been about 100% guaranteed safety regardless of who says what... for me I consider it personally to be MUCH safer than smoking.
    This is not to say as vapers we don't have a right to educate ourselves and make informed decisions on what we are doing and how we do it.
    Another thing we keep forgetting is that life by its very nature is unsafe , and when we make an issue out of something it is important not to just focus on one area ... for instance .. different grades of Stainless Steel subjected to heat and acids will also liberate nickel ... so you might want to rethink heating that pasta sauce on the stovetop in your new cookware too ???
    Stainless steel leaches nickel and chromium into foods during cooking. - PubMed - NCBI
    Also remember that Tobacco contains nickel traces as well
    The level of nickel in smoker's blood and urine. - PubMed - NCBI

I am not meaning to take the piss, but certainly make vaping as safe as you can for yourself, that just makes sense, but one thing I find a little unsettling is that we tend to look into vaping with such a microscope that we NEVER apply to the rest of our lives ... I am not really sure why this is so , maybe its so we can waggle our fingers and say "It's Safe" when in reality nothing is safe, just some things in life are going to kill you quicker than others !
    I certainly never thought while I was smoking .. crap these ciggies might have nickel , or polonium , or carcinogens ... I KNEW they were in there and I CHOSE to smoke them.
    ( poor decision yes )

We certainly should try and make vaping as safe as we can .. no doubt , but like everything in life, its the dose what kills you , even water is toxic, so you limit your exposure to it ( normally)

I don't think that vaping will expose me to significant levels of Nickel ( or other substances ) and even less so if that vaping is done sensibly ( lower wattages and temps , less flavourings rather than more, using quality stainless gear and low acidity juices ... keeping gear clean, using stuff as intended, educating myself and making decisions based on my comfort levels... taking responsibility for MY actions )

I can point out too, I don't have a nickel sensitivity , I know a few who do , and they avoid even nichrome wire like the plague.

Now do I use nickel wire? Rarely... Do I think it is 100% safe.. No I dont, but I think exposure to it from vaping is minimal unless you have a sensitivity to it.

ANYTHING you heat and inhale is likely to be less safe than inhaling HEPA filtered air

The comments section in the blog link below is good reading
    Regarding Nickel Concerns and Vaping

Edit after just making lunch in the kitchen
    So how many of us vapers cook their toast outside ? because that toaster fires up nichrome to red hot and keeps it there for minutes on end ... also dont forget your kettle/coffeee makers doing the same thing with stainless or nickle plated elements ...
    Being a parrot owner , I also have to avoid non-stick cookware , because the gases given off from it ( esp if overheated) are lethal to birds

I guess I am just saying , we surround ourselves with things that are bad for us ( dont get me started on VOC's lol )
    being aware is every bit as good as being focused
    Last edited by Fatman; 31-10-15 at 02:14 PM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

LNB
    AVF Regular
    No concern with Ni200 wire at all. ...more concerned with some f*cktard in a car hitting me on my motorcycle.
    studiovape, kazzman and Rustdust like this.

AVF Regular
    LOL well written fatman, I was doing a bit of reading about Nickel on reddit and as I said I was curious to know what AVF members thought, I don't have a TC mod yet but I am getting one soon, hence my curiosity with all things TC.

I didn't know about the parrot thing though, I have a sun conure in the dinning room.
    Fatman and bank like this.
    Although a tree is a thousand Chang in height, its leaves still fall to the ground.

Super Moderator
    Misk'i the Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure waves Hi !

Teflon Poisoning in Birds

bank and Rustdust like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    The little bi'tchi
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular

Max and Marley
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast