Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Help! Am I doing something wrong?

  1. #1
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Knox Area (Melb)
    Posts
    20

    Help! Am I doing something wrong?

    OK, so I bought myself a Cloupor GT 80 and a couple of Tanks (Kanger Subtank and Uwell Crown) which I have been using with TC coils. When I bought the Cloupor they also sold me 2 x AWT 2600mah batteries but I have since bought 2 x Panasonic 25R batteries for backup. Now I am new to sub-ohm vaping and also to temperature control so I'm not sure whethger I'm doing something wrong or if something is faulty but here are the symptoms...

    When I first charged the batteries I had no problems. They charged in my Soshine charger to 100% and worked well. Now I have found that on occasions the charger gives an error message (sorry but I can't remember what the message is) but after a couple of retries they appear to charge OK. The problem comes when I put them in the Cloupor because sometimes it says that they are only partly charged. If I put them back in the charger it says they are fully charged. Is it possible that either the batteries or the charger are faulty?

    As far as the Cloupor goes I believe that the correct way to use it is to set the temperature (and I'm not sure what's appropriate so I've been trying anything from 140 to 220 degrees Celsius) and then press the two control buttons simultaneously to sense the resistance and set the correct power setting automatically. What is odd is that if I do that it will sometimes sense the resistance quite low and I find that I get very little vapour. If I press the buttons again, sometimes it senses much higher resistance (varying from about .17 ohms to about .24 ohms). The kanger coils are rated at 0.15 ohms. I have also found this with the supplied TC coil that came with the Crown. When the resistance is measured higher, I get heaps of vapour. Is there something I'm doiug wrong or is it likely (given the battery charge measurement issue) that the mod itself is faulty?

    Ultimately I just want a hassle free experience and I'm even prepared to replace the mod if need be but obviously I want to know if I should return either the mod or batteries or maybe replace the charger. If I was to replace things I'd be really grateful for some recommendations for quality mods, batteries and chargers. Please help!

    Thanks in advance!

    Phil

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,690
    I dont use TC and dont have that mod, but I think you need to get a bit hotter on those coils. from memory + about 50 deg to start ?? -someone will chime in

    Fluctuating resistance is a crappy connection - clean, check and retighten EVERYTHING

    Ive got both types of batteries. check your batteries with a multi meter to know for sure. should read 4.1V to 4.2V when charged, and I like to recharge at about 3.5V and have not had any problems. yes possible dodgy batts and possible charger.


    can someone that uses TC recommend a starting temp ??
    Last edited by Altered1; 22-11-15 at 11:07 AM.
    avtek, Midlife and philzgr8 like this.




    Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

    Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

  3. #3
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Knox Area (Melb)
    Posts
    20
    Thanks. I'll clean and double check the connections and see if that changes anything.

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    1,207
    Quote Originally Posted by philzgr8 View Post
    OK, so I bought myself a Cloupor GT 80 and a couple of Tanks (Kanger Subtank and Uwell Crown) which I have been using with TC coils. When I bought the Cloupor they also sold me 2 x AWT 2600mah batteries but I have since bought 2 x Panasonic 25R batteries for backup. Now I am new to sub-ohm vaping and also to temperature control so I'm not sure whethger I'm doing something wrong or if something is faulty but here are the symptoms...

    When I first charged the batteries I had no problems. They charged in my Soshine charger to 100% and worked well. Now I have found that on occasions the charger gives an error message (sorry but I can't remember what the message is) but after a couple of retries they appear to charge OK. The problem comes when I put them in the Cloupor because sometimes it says that they are only partly charged. If I put them back in the charger it says they are fully charged. Is it possible that either the batteries or the charger are faulty?

    As far as the Cloupor goes I believe that the correct way to use it is to set the temperature (and I'm not sure what's appropriate so I've been trying anything from 140 to 220 degrees Celsius) and then press the two control buttons simultaneously to sense the resistance and set the correct power setting automatically. What is odd is that if I do that it will sometimes sense the resistance quite low and I find that I get very little vapour. If I press the buttons again, sometimes it senses much higher resistance (varying from about .17 ohms to about .24 ohms). The kanger coils are rated at 0.15 ohms. I have also found this with the supplied TC coil that came with the Crown. When the resistance is measured higher, I get heaps of vapour. Is there something I'm doiug wrong or is it likely (given the battery charge measurement issue) that the mod itself is faulty?

    Ultimately I just want a hassle free experience and I'm even prepared to replace the mod if need be but obviously I want to know if I should return either the mod or batteries or maybe replace the charger. If I was to replace things I'd be really grateful for some recommendations for quality mods, batteries and chargers. Please help!

    Thanks in advance!

    Phil
    I am presuming that your charger is a two bay charger.
    Try charging in one side only and then try the other side ( one batt at a time) and see if one charges fully and the other doesn't.
    I have recently had one side of my charger not charge fully the other side still charges fine. I originally thought my batteries were on there way out but now only using the one slot they are preforming as normal.
    I have had error messages occasionally but it was normally because the batteries were not making contact in the charger properly. I think it was manly because I use 18350 batteries and the spring pressure on the contacts is not as strong and so it is very important to make sure they are in properly

  5. #5
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Knox Area (Melb)
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlife View Post
    I am presuming that your charger is a two bay charger.
    Try charging in one side only and then try the other side ( one batt at a time) and see if one charges fully and the other doesn't.
    I have recently had one side of my charger not charge fully the other side still charges fine. I originally thought my batteries were on there way out but now only using the one slot they are preforming as normal.
    I have had error messages occasionally but it was normally because the batteries were not making contact in the charger properly. I think it was manly because I use 18350 batteries and the spring pressure on the contacts is not as strong and so it is very important to make sure they are in properly
    Yes that did occur to me and I have actually tried it. Unfortunately (or fortunately) that doesn't seem to be the issue. I have just cleaned the ends of all of my batteries as well as the contacts in the cloupor including between the tank and the mod and the charger. Right now I am charging the Panasonics and I will see what happens. I have a suspicion that this may have been at least a part of the issue because it's not unusual for me to wind up with liquid on my fingers when refilling and it may well have got onto some of the contact points. I will see how it goes and report back once I have recharged a few times.
    Midlife likes this.

  6. #6
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Knox Area (Melb)
    Posts
    20
    Just as a matter of interest, what is the best way to clean the connection points? At this stage I have just used a dry tissue but I suspect that maybe metho or something would possibly do a better job.

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne south
    Posts
    109
    Hey Phil
    Thought I'd test my batteries this morning to see if that can help diagnose where the problem lies... Samsung 25r batteries so not the same but should read same output. Fully charged 4.18v and 50% charge (exactly 50% on the charged just by coincidence) 3.52v tested on a nite core charger and a fluke multimeter. Hope this helps
    philzgr8 likes this.

  8. #8
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Knox Area (Melb)
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonnoob View Post
    Hey Phil
    Thought I'd test my batteries this morning to see if that can help diagnose where the problem lies... Samsung 25r batteries so not the same but should read same output. Fully charged 4.18v and 50% charge (exactly 50% on the charged just by coincidence) 3.52v tested on a nite core charger and a fluke multimeter. Hope this helps
    My samsungs which are currently charging (at 20%) are showing 3.6v on the charger. Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter. The AWT's when fully charged were quite different. One showed about 3.5v and the other showed about 4.2v. I'm not sure of the significance to be honest or whether I should trust the charger's readings but I never had problems with batteries in the past using this charger.

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne south
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by philzgr8 View Post
    My samsungs which are currently charging (at 20%) are showing 3.6v on the charger. Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter. The AWT's when fully charged were quite different. One showed about 3.5v and the other showed about 4.2v. I'm not sure of the significance to be honest or whether I should trust the charger's readings but I never had problems with batteries in the past using this charger.
    Hey Phil
    Yeah I spose that info isn't really helpful. What your location best to put on your profile, maybe there's a shop close by that might be able to test them for you.. At 4.2v if that reading is accurate your device should show the batterie as full charged, but how any other information I've given you helps... We it doesn't .. Sorry I can't help more
    philzgr8 likes this.

  10. #10
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Knox Area (Melb)
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonnoob View Post
    Hey Phil
    Yeah I spose that info isn't really helpful. What your location best to put on your profile, maybe there's a shop close by that might be able to test them for you.. At 4.2v if that reading is accurate your device should show the batterie as full charged, but how any other information I've given you helps... We it doesn't .. Sorry I can't help more
    OK so my location has been added (Knox Area). Samsungs are now showing 55 and 60% charged and voltages respectively show 3.7 and 3.8. I will be interested to see what happens when I put them in the device now that everything has been cleaned. Do you have any recommendations on the best way to clean all of the contact points?

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 02:07 PM.