Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: For those serious about tension wound coils.

AVF Regular

For those serious about tension wound coils.

I've been struggling with the whole tension wound coil thing.... found the solution, they've got a machine for that.

Moreco INC Coilmaster Coil Winder | eBay
    Crisscross, Fatman, btobw and 1 others like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    Looks like a deadly apple corer.

Super Moderator
    LOL Love it .. that so appeals to me
    ( the price doesnt tho )
    Midlife and Northerner like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    I've been struggling with the whole tension wound coil thing.... found the solution, they've got a machine for that.

Moreco INC Coilmaster Coil Winder | eBay
    Gt was talking about tensioned coils in another thread and it interested me.

I found a YouTube review by super X drifter about a gadget called a cigamajig and through watching the video it was quite simple to build one yourself. This is from a desk lamp bracket and some clothes horse wire. I will sell you this one for a couple of hundred if you are desperate (just kidding)

Works really well.

gtadmin, Fatman, LimeB and 1 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    These little coil jigs work great too. There is an updated one around with a better handle. Will see if I can find it in a minute

You get really good results with just the jigs, but like with super X's videos to have them properly tensioned I think you need
    to be winding the wire from a reel or something so its wound with the same amount of tension.

I'm trying to design one at the moment. Dont know if it will ever end up being made though

edit - here is the updated version Upgraded Version 5-Size Coil Winding Jig Tool for RDA
    Its better because you can just screw in whatever size rod you need rather than having to disassemble the whole thing. I have
    one of the older ones and after a while the screw wears and doesn't hold the rod tight.
    Last edited by Tara; 29-11-15 at 12:41 AM. Reason: just realised I wrote resistance instead of tension

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Gt was talking about tensioned coils in another thread and it interested me.

I found a YouTube review by super X drifter about a gadget called a cigamajig and through watching the video it was quite simple to build one yourself. This is from a desk lamp bracket and some clothes horse wire. I will sell you this one for a couple of hundred if you are desperate (just kidding)

Works really well.

i bought one of those, have reverted to just using the bar as i would a screw driver/drill bit. Never noticed an improved vape for extra effort
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Super Moderator
    The point with using tension while forming the coil is to use the internal stress of the wire (residual and induced) to "force" the coil to hold it's structure, meaning that it will spring back to the shape you've formed it into when an external force has been applied and released ie it maintains the shape you want even if you have distorted it slightly while fitting to the deck or while threading the wick through the coil.

Tension coils aren't for you if:
    1. You like heating and squeezing coils;
    2. You like to heat the wire red hot before forming it into a coil;
    3. You like to glow the coil while dry burning;

Each of these stress relieves the coil material (in layman's terms, anneals it), negating the benefits of tensioning.

An example from August:

Last edited by gtadmin; 28-11-15 at 08:41 AM.
    DogMan, sams and Tara like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Looks pretty GT! But i'm that former you mention with a sprinkle of KISS. kuro koiler / coil master and ignoring that farsalinos-pbusardo-et-al advice regarding that old habit of dry burning is not a good thing to do to metal apparently.*

*Dr.F profession is a doc not a metallurgist, and i side with vaping metallurgists.
    gtadmin likes this.

When life throws you lemons, vape lemonade.

I like simple. If it's not simple, I don't like it.

Super Moderator

It's been my experience that making a coil your way takes 2x as long as my way, without the advantages of a tensioned contact coil. But there isn't a right way.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    How is "your way" done GT? I've been screwing around trying to make tensioned coils work. Do you use some sort of jig?
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast