Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: TC - Am I doing it right? Or why am I not enjoying it.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

TC - Am I doing it right? Or why am I not enjoying it.

Hi AV,

I have been vaping for 6 months or so started with cigalikes, then vape-pens then onto mech and VW mods like the kanger subox. I went through all the stages relatively quickly always looking for the next upgrade. I recently got some Ni200 coils for the subtank and have used them on the Hcigar HB40. I ranged the device 300F-420F temp wise and tried from 20-35W with out much enjoyment.

The taste was lower than with 1.5 VOCC coils, alot warmer than I'm used to as well. I played around with the settings but really could find a combination I enjoyed.

I am an ex-smoker and use the mouth-to-lung style (not direct lung inhales) could this be the issue? As the Ni200 coils are really low (starting) resistance are they only designed for direct lung inhales?

I already have 2 more TC devices on the way. It wont be a massive issue just to use them in non temp controlled mode I just feel it is a bit of a waste and like I'm missing out on something everyone speaks very highly about.

Let me know if I'm missing something or if the TC coils are really intended for MTL inhales.

Cheers guys
    Insta

AVF Regular
    With what you state I wonder if the watts is too low. With TC, the device will regulate the watts once the desired temp is reached. Having low watts will cause a slower ramp up time and perhaps that time exceeds the time you draw for MTL. Try the watts higher so the coil heats quickly, let the TC mod do it's thing, maybe that will give you a satisfying vape. I don't MTL so my advice could be total rubbish.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    I have only had my first TC device (Kanger Nebox) for about 4 days & I only do moderate lung inhales but I find the sub ohm TC mode no where near as good as just using the RBA with a 1.3ohm coil at 10W to 12W. The way I vape I get much better battery time, use less juice & will do less damage to my lungs.
    As Cams said I think you leave your Watts on a very high setting & just let the temp protection control the vape this way the coil fires up quicker. I found the TC vapes too hot compared to my RBA cool vape & the RBA gives me all the vapour I can handle.
    seasonnoob likes this.

AVF Regular
    I tried TC for mouth to lung
    Found it not really effective a little pointless IMO

Big shout out to AVF and Everyone that helped me on my Journey to quit the the Death Sticks

AVF Regular
    I had the exact same frustration a week ago!
    For a while I had only one tank, the ego mega one with both Ni200 and Ti sub coils. I found for the best taste lung to mouth I upped the temperature, restricted the air hole as the mouth can draw stronger but less volume. The biggest improvement however came from swapping the drip tip to a narrower hourglass drip tip from a nautilus tank, creates a much better seal for mouth to lung. I found when drawing with mouth your lips invariably loses seal with the drip tip as you draw.

Settings I found that work on evic mini + ego one.

CL head: stock wire rewicked with less cotton.
    Ti or Ni TC: 450F
    Power: 45W, it's safe as it tapers off at target temp. If you draw the instant you hit fire, higher wattages seem to go better.
    Air hole: nearly all the way closed.

That said however I mouth to lung with a different tank (nautilus mini) and juice (3 x higher nic ) altogether. I found it just simpler and more efficient, just screw on the "morning coffee" tank.

One question, do I have to still walk away from premises like a cigarette smoker at cafes?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MCYL View Post

One question, do I have to still walk away from premises like a cigarette smoker at cafes?
    In Qld all the smoking laws apply to vaping as well so where there's no smoking there's no vaping either.

AVF Regular
    Hey instamental
    My thoughts on this is yes you are probably doing everything right... Low ohm ni200 coils are just not enjoyable for mtl vapers. Too much airflow and personally I find them too hot and the vape is too harsh.. A lot of people reduce the nictotine content with these coils due to this.. I find it strange that they sell "starter kits" like the vtc with preinstalled 0.2 ohm ni200 coils as I think this is probably the worst thing I could think of someone "starting" with. There's also quite a lot of inconclusive discussion on the Heath concerns with using nickel coils as well and selling in starter kit is worrying as a beginner doesn't know that they should only ever use them in tc. The only benefit for me with tc is no dry hits and I only get those if I forget to fill my tank which is rare, plus you go through bucket loads of juice with these too.
    Most of the sub ohm gear is designed for lung hitters and I find is just not enjoyable for mtl..get a nautilus/kayfun you'll be much happier. I have a Hcigar vt40 with tc which I ocassionally go sub ohm with on the kayfun and couldn't be happier...
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    All great answers/info thanks guys.

I'm not going to try upping the watts as I had watched a few reviews of the same tank with a range of 20-35W and even at those W's the vapour was really hot/humid, too hot for my liking.

Looks like it just aint for me. What a bummer, it sounded awesome but just doesnt fit my MTL habits. Oh well, now to get rid of these 10 Ni200 coils

AVF Regular
    I have 2 DNA 40's, 2 DNA 200's and a SX mini j using a variety of atomisers and all work for me very acceptably in mouth to lung in TC if I so desire.

But I mostly build my own coils, although I do have some store bought ones. All are very sub Ohm.

I can use them MTL or direct lung easily and effectively depending how I feel at the time.

AVF Regular
    I have 4 differant TC mods that I use.

Evic VT
    Evic VT mini
    Smok Treebox
    IPV D2

I have them all set to within a range of 220 C and 250 C and I don't consider any of them to give a hot vape, not even warm. Just as well as I don't really like hot vapes.

Maybe your mod is a factor.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast