Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wheely9

Thread: Kanger Subtank Ti build question?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Kanger Subtank Ti build question?

Hi guys firstly if there is a thread for this already please advise and jump to that. My question is probably silly but since I don't know the answer it makes this a valid question!
    I just build a coil for my Subtank and I'm running the V2 RBA with the Evic mini in TC Mode I wrapped a 3mm ID 11 wrap Ti coil and after tuning the coil (it's a contact coil not spaced and tuned at 4-5w very careful with dry burning) it's come out reading 0.55 ohm. I lock the resistance and set it at 510F at 24w seems to be pumping vapor and the flavor is pretty good.

Right the question everything I read on single coils for Ti is to keep it below 0.4ohm so is the above setup going to be ok??? I've sat it aside to come ask you guys before I continue to so you know I'm not a newbie at building but very much a novice in TC hence I'm just checking thank you

AVF Regular
    Seeing as Joytech make 0.5 CLR Ti coils and Eleaf make the 0.5 EC Ti coils both for temp control I'd say your fine. Infact seeing as you have the exact same Ohm's as the manufacturer I'd say it was going to act at the mods "sweet spot" seeing as joytech would have tuned it for there coils. Keen to know how the contact coil is working as thats the only thing I would be curios about and hadn't made yet with regards to even heating across the wire, I thought the center might get hotter quicker and kick tc mode in accordingly.

Adelaide

It's funny you say that because after I went back to the workshop and with a bit more head scratching I came up with the same theory as you so I've been vaping away and things seem fine. As for the contact coil I think what you said with center is probably right because if you have more than a few hits in a row TC kicks in early but like I said new to TC so its all trial and error. Here's a link I was using as a reference for contact coils if nothing else its a good read https://www.craftvapery.com/blog/jos...titanium-wire/
    Tyzer likes this.

AVF Regular
    It would be completely fine. My TI Builds are all around the 0.45-.55 mark and never had any issues as yet

I don't know about anyone else's Evic mini, but mine seems to constantly read the ohms about 0.2 higher than what it really is. For example the stock 0.5 OCC coils read about 0.65, the stock Ni200 coils (0.15) read about 0.3.

So when I build my own coils, if it reads 0.5, I know its actually about 0.3 or maybe a little higher.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by wheely9 View Post
    As for the contact coil I think what you said with center is probably right because if you have more than a few hits in a row TC kicks in early but like I said new to TC so its all trial and error.
    A bit of info on this that might help you with your TC journey, temp control is a little bit of a misleading name, what is actually happening in your device is as the coil is being heated it is measuring changes in resistance across the coil, it then works out that this resistance change is going to equate to roughly an increase of x degrees.
    When the resistance changes reaches a level that is equivalent to the maximum temperature that you set the device will regulate the power (or in some devices just cut off) so that the theoretical temperature limit is not exceeded.
    This confirms what you experienced with a few hits in a row, there is already residual heat in the coil so that resistance will start at a higher level and will take less time to hit your limit.
    Also be sure that you always lock your coil resistance when it is cold, otherwise it will just confuse the hell out of the TC algorithm.

Thanks for all the feedback guys and it has been a few days now and things I guess you could say are still pretty good except I think with the contact coil as stated above I'm not getting that even spread as you would with a spaced coil which is why the TC keeps kicking in way to early and since I'm a chain vaper it's starting to annoy me! I think I'm going to have to fiddle around and figure how to wrap a spaced coil and get it to ohm out at 0.4-0.5 I'm more than welcome to tips from anyone that has has success using Ti in a Subtank

AVF Regular
    I almost always use contact coils with TC, seems to work better for me, the best way i have found to get spaced coils is either to wrap on a screw or wrap parallel coils, trim the legs and then seperate them.
    I think i tried one TC build in my subtank with no issues but ripped it out so the i could put the subtank back on the subbox.