Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Sanding a reo grand

Super Moderator

Sanding a reo grand

Has anyone here ever sanded back a reo grand? By hand? Was just wondering how difficult it would be, and how shit it would look afterwards lol

Any suggestions on how to do it would be gratefully appreciated. And in very basic gumby terms, as I've never sanded anything before
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

AVF Regular
    use paint stripper. Apply it, leave it a minute, then wipe off and rinse it

the aluminium underneath is unfinished, so light sand with a fairly fine grit paper. But getting the finishes off, particularly powder coat, takes real elbow grease without paint stripper
    giruvian likes this.

AVF Regular
    This may come in handy....

I recently ordered a Gizmo clone to use as an expendable, knock and water resistant mod for use while out fishing, only to discovered once it was in transit that I'd accidentally ordered it in GOLD! *facepalm*

This is clearly not acceptable and it will either be colour stripped, or airbrushed into something like the pilchard pattern I use on some of my lures!
    giruvian likes this.
    CO, Vapers Against Government Interference in Nictotine Acquisition - Military Wing.

Super Moderator
    Well I've been looking up paint strippers and found one called soy gel that's safe to use (won't burn skin etc). There's a site where you can get a sample for 15 bucks posted.

I'm still tossing up a bit though. I've never pulled a reo apart before, and I don't want to kill it through complete ineptitude
    Ingrid

AVF Regular
    You also need to make sure if the mod is aluminum that the stripper wont react with it. I think a lot of the standard strippers are not recommended for aluminum. Brake fluid will work on certain paints..........................I dont know if it will lift powder coat.

Super Moderator
    Can you just sand it back by hand? No stripper? Or it that just ridiculous?
    Ingrid

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by giruvian View Post
    Well I've been looking up paint strippers and found one called soy gel that's safe to use (won't burn skin etc). There's a site where you can get a sample for 15 bucks posted.

I'm still tossing up a bit though. I've never pulled a reo apart before, and I don't want to kill it through complete ineptitude
    It's really hard to kill a Reo They are very basic and easy to disassemble, so you should be okay there, the next thing is the actual surface finish, is it powder coated? I'm really not sure and will paint stripper take powder coating off.

I reckon Google could be your friend for that, research fine grit paper as well, it's not sandpaper, wet and dry is what panel beaters use (you can dip it into, and use it with water) a really smooth finish can be obtained.

I reckon that's all I can help with right now, be confident and prepared and you should do a fine job

Super Moderator
    Why do you want to sand it down? To have an aluminium finish? Or to recoat it with another finish?
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Super Moderator
    I just want to get it back to plain metal, maybe polish it up a bit, then put a wrap of some sort on it. I think most wraps have the edges of the reo exposed, so would want them to look reasonable if possible. It's looking a tad rough now (sorry Leon lol) after a few falls. It's a hammertone one. As it is, after one of the falls, the door will only slide upwards, and there's no magnets anymore, but it still stays put lol
    Ingrid

Super Moderator
    4" angle grinder with a flap disk
    giruvian, Midlife and NEDWIK like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast