Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Midlife
  • 1 Post By nikolous
  • 1 Post By MelbVFR
  • 1 Post By nikolous
  • 1 Post By MelbVFR
  • 2 Post By nikolous

Thread: Stainless Steel Coils build ideas/help.

AVF Regular

Stainless Steel Coils build ideas/help.

Greetings vapers! I hope Santa spoilt you with loads of vape gear and your NYE was spectacular! I am looking at getting into SS coils and have done some research which has confused me with the different grades of SS 304/316/316L regarding how the mods read the grades. I know that on some mods I am able to adjust the TCR values to read whatever grade of SS I use, does this mean I don't need to buy reels of 304/316/316L? Also what is everyone's preferred gauge of SS I have read a lot of people using 26G What is everyone using with the best results, I have read 316l is the most commonly used grade?

I would love to hear your tips, hints or experiences on using SS and best coil builds would be awesome, I use high vg, usually aim for around 0.5 on my builds but that isn't set in stone I have been daring and gone below that lol!

Thanks in advance. BBG

Mods: ProVari 2.5 Satin Black + ProVari 2.5 Zombie I + ProVari P3 Satin Silver + Sigelei 100W (PLUS) + Vapor Shark rDNA40 + Kanger Subox + Yihi 350j M Class + eVic-VTC Mini

Tanks: Kanger Sub Tank Mini + Vertex v2 RDA + Velocity RDA + Lemo V1 + Lemo V2 + Lemo Drop + Goblin Mini + Aspire Triton + Uwell Crown + OBS T-VCT

AVF Regular
    316L is just a low carbon version of 316. Only really comes into play if you intend welding a critical structural component.

I thought the wires that were being used for coils was 316 not 304
    BlunderbussGonzo likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thank you for your reply. I think a lot of the information I have read was either old or from American forums. I was reading about people using soldering wire or something similar which may well be ok but it sounds a bit dodgy to me?! Haha yeah I could make up some crazy coil builds if I whip out my welder. So I will be fire with ordering either 304 or 316, I just don't want to order loads of grades to discover I have wasted money. Do you have a preferred grade and gauge?

Mods: ProVari 2.5 Satin Black + ProVari 2.5 Zombie I + ProVari P3 Satin Silver + Sigelei 100W (PLUS) + Vapor Shark rDNA40 + Kanger Subox + Yihi 350j M Class + eVic-VTC Mini

Tanks: Kanger Sub Tank Mini + Vertex v2 RDA + Velocity RDA + Lemo V1 + Lemo V2 + Lemo Drop + Goblin Mini + Aspire Triton + Uwell Crown + OBS T-VCT

AVF Regular
    i use 26AWG 316L from UD. I love it. I've used NI200 and TI1 before and I think Stainless is the way to go. I'm currently using a .5ohm 316L SS build in my Monster V3 sitting on top of my Reuleaux RX200 and love it

AVF Regular
    Another UD 316L SS user - current favourite is twisted 28 gauge , 3mm ID - around 0.7 ohms - on EVIC with v3 firmware with 316 mode - loving it ! 200 deg C - 29 watts
    Using this one : UD Stainless Steel Resistance Wire - SS316L | VapourEyes

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MelbVFR View Post
    Another UD 316L SS user - current favourite is twisted 28 gauge , 3mm ID - around 0.7 ohms - on EVIC with v3 firmware with 316 mode - loving it ! 200 deg C - 29 watts
    Using this one : UD Stainless Steel Resistance Wire - SS316L | VapourEyes
    Do you twist it yourself? I've never used twisted wire so just wondering if there's a big difference using twisted vs just standard wraps?

AVF Regular
    Yup - just pull off a length - fold it in half - twist ends together - then stick in drill - hold other end (I use a small screwdriver in the loop) - apply some tension - and let rip with the drill . . . I tried it out after seeing all these clapton etc coils - and really like the vape it produces - so I've stuck with it ?

I also have 26 guage that I use in regular / single strand mode - I think the vape off the twisted is more flavourful . . and thicker . . If that makes any sense .. . .

AVF Regular
    awesome. Might have to give that a try because I've been looking for a denser vape in TC mode and I'm just not getting it. SS is better than NI200 and TI1 though, but still not as I'd prefer so I'm gonna have to give twisted a try. Thanks for the advice!
    BlunderbussGonzo and MelbVFR like this.

AVF Regular
    I have read a lot of good reviews for the UD SS wire and now hearing your feedback I will buy some of their wire. When coiling do you dry fire the coil to check for shorts, I have read you need to pulse it on a very low wattage?

AVF Regular
    I do pulse it a bit at around 10W to get coil evenly slightly glowing . . . a bit of strumming on the twisted coils also seems to help get them heating evenly .. . .