Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: sxmini m - stuck fire button?

AVF Regular

sxmini m - stuck fire button?

Last night I woke up to my sxmini autofiring, I promptly pulled the battery out of it and thought I would deal with it in the morning.
    Not sure exactly what the problem is but it appears that the fire button is somehow malfunctioning. I put the battery back in, and after about 5mins is started autofiring again, pulled the battery out and popped in another battery, same issue.
    Pulled the battery out and plugged it in to my PC hoping that I could run an update, but I couldn't press the fire button to get it into link mode.
    Now I cant turn the device on regardless of if I am using a battery or USB power.

I cant find any other people with this issue, wondering if anyone has come across it or has any suggestions for possible fixes?

AVF Regular
    Malikada _ I had one of mine do that after I had a juice leak that went everywhere. I thought I'd cleaned it up but clearly hadn't and the button became sticky. My solution was to use some alcohol and some cotton buds this worked sort of ok but in a few days the sticking had returned - the next solution I tried was some electrical contact cleaner and I took the front face off and soaked the hell out of it - let it dry and re assembled - I haven't had a problem since.

I remember the amount of crud that was in between the button and the housing it was amazing how much junk had built up in there - kind of reminded me of how the rollers on my old mice used to get before they all became

giruvian and Malikada like this.

AVF Regular
    Awesome, I gave the exterior a wipe with some alcohol and it now seems to be firing intermittently and still occasionally autofiring. Will strip it down and give it a cleanup, however of all the allen keys that I have not a single one is the right size :/
    Did you need to remove the board or can you get to the button without needing to de/re-solder it?

AVF Regular
    Malikada and Tyzer like this.

AVF Regular
    It sits along the face of the frame - there is no need to de-solder anything it is kind of like a C Frame setup (sort of) the button just sits there.
    Malikada likes this.

AVF Regular
    I am admitting defeat here, after picking up some new allen keys two of the screws out but the third was a bit sticky. So before it became too rounded off I tried supergluing an allen key in there, didnt work. Then I tried to drill it ad use an easy-out, still no luck.
    So I now have a stuck button and a glued in bolt, game over.

AVF Regular
    Try syringing some metho in around the fire button with as much pressure as possible, then leave it out in the sun for an hour to evap the metho before you try and fire it.
    Fatman and Malikada like this.
    CO, Vapers Against Government Interference in Nictotine Acquisition - Military Wing.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Slothy View Post
    Try syringing some metho in around the fire button with as much pressure as possible, then leave it out in the sun for an hour to evap the metho before you try and fire it.
    whatever doesn't kill it makes it stronger
    Slothy and Northerner like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    The bolt that has the stripped allen head you want to use a drill bit that is just smaller than the head of the bolt. If you do this you will drill down to the shank of the bolt which is smaller than the head and so the head will come off. Hopefully you will then be able to dissemble and remove the rest of the bolt
    Fatman, Haza and Malikada like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Slothy View Post
    Good suggestion, I have have squeezed some wd40 contact cleaner in around the button and will see if it has any success

Quote Originally Posted by Midlife View Post
    The bolt that has the stripped allen head you want to use a drill bit that is just smaller than the head of the bolt. If you do this you will drill down to the shank of the bolt which is smaller than the head and so the head will come off. Hopefully you will then be able to dissemble and remove the rest of the bolt
    I gave this a go, but I swear this bolt is armour plated, after snapping one drill bit and narrowly avoiding taking a finger off I was more cautious with the second bit and was unable to make an impact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast