Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Coil building: Flavour chasing considerations

AVF Regular

Coil building: Flavour chasing considerations

Lately after purchasing a Kayfun style atty, building recommended 1 ohm, 28G kanthal builds I find very difficult to match the flavour I get with my other atomisers, even running at at miserly 12w it provides more enjoyment to me than others running up ~50-60w with more flavourful, cooler vape.
    I plan to mimic this style of build on my other RTA/RDAs then got set on pondering what makes a good flavour coil.
    Those more in the know please chime in with your input...I have yet to test it out.

With modern APVs, resistance is no longer too much of a consideration. So I figure it comes down to a coil surface area and temperature.
    Since any of the wires surface not putting energy into juice is heating the air, a thinner wire would provide a larger surface area and also being thinner it may just have a larger percentage of the wire in contact with the juice.

Then I ran through Steam engine 2 simple builds.
    1. Kanthal 24g 3mm 4 turn.
    2. Kanthal 28g 3mm 12 turn.

Now both these coils have similar wire volumes at 11.4mm^3 and 11.5mm^3 respectively. Their heating capacity is also comparable.

Yet the surface area differs greatly with 89.24mm^2 and 143.58mm˛ plus the heat flux on the thinner wire is much lower at 6.96mW/mm˛ vs 11.21mW/mm˛

coil size considerations are simpler, the coil must sit within boundaries of air flow coming in and fit the confines of the atomiser, further a larger diameter improves wicking and reduces the chances of dry hits.

I'll go try it out to see if I can improve the tastes of a well used atty. the Crius v3

Marty out,

AVF Regular
    Let us know what you find out

AVF Regular
    Watching this closely, right up my alley 👍

Super Moderator
    The Crius eh? What is the chimney bore size?

I was reading yesterday of an atty that had a 2.5mm chimney bore as standard, and the "flavour chaser" version was 2mm Just can't remember the brand of atty involved
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    The Crius eh? What is the chimney bore size?

I was reading yesterday of an atty that had a 2.5mm chimney bore as standard, and the "flavour chaser" version was 2mm Just can't remember the brand of atty involved
    They're way bigger this is a 4mm shaft..

At a guess, 5.5mm maybe up to 6mm? I did find a slim drip tip performing a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Well, I did 2 builds last night.

Build 1:

With the air hole's width at 3.5mm and wire at .327 I decided to coil with a 3mm shaft.

So 2x 11.5 turns of 28G kanthal set as low as possible over the air holes.

Cotton cut really short the ends just sitting over the holes for good wicking.

And...it was an epic fail. Flavour full alright, the wick drew up too much juice for the lower heat, two draws and I had a mouthful of juice.

Back to the drawing board...

gtadmin likes this.

Super Moderator
    I figured from photos it'd be ... huge (in the context of flavour) While changes in coil dimensions, drip tips and wicking will aid you in your quest, overcoming that chimney bore is going to be your challenge

With an eGo ONE mega tank, I've reduced the chimney bore down from 7mm to 4mm with good results, I am going to go down to 2.5mm and see if it can be improved though
    MCYL likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Super Moderator
    3mm coils are not where flavour resides
    CMB, Fatman and MCYL like this.

AVF Regular
    Build 2:

Now that I know too much wicking can be a bad thing I went the opposite direction and went small.

Again 28G but 2mm and 14 turns this time. The wick ends sit right into the juice holes.

This performed a lot better at 30w and with the AFC wound down close to < 2mm it was at its best but in the end the taste was still far behind that of the KF styled atty.

gtadmin and sams like this.

AVF Regular
    Will have to get more wire today but I'd like to try something on lines with this.

I'm thinking 2x nano coils on each bank with a cotton cloud in the middle. Need to figure out how to feed juice to the cloud however.
    :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast