• 2 Post By laurie9300
  • 1 Post By mathsguy
  • 2 Post By Mr Young
  • 2 Post By Fatman

Thread: Tube Amp recommendation

AVF Regular

Tube Amp recommendation

Hey guys,
    In an earlier post I had a hand check pic with a tube amp at the back. A few guys stated that they were looking for one.

Well here's a recommendation for those wanting it one for desktop/bookshelf speakers

The MiniWatt N3
    I picked up one of these for the bedroom paired with a set of B&W bookshelves with sound delivered via an iPad chock full of Apple lossless.

Compared to the one I had in pic it's day and night. I know 3.5w sounds puny but with good speakers and decent music it's more than enough. Besides rather than clipping a tube at its max gives distortion in a wonderful way.

I've must of listen to Forty Licks cover to cover about 5 times today =D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mathsguy, Fatman, avtek and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Nice to see some Audiophile gear on the forums mate! Seriously considering these for the set of bookshelf speakers I'm building
    MCYL likes this.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus vntosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Nut
    AVF Regular
    +1 for the audiophiles! I love my Paradigm setup.

AVF Regular
    mcyl - great to see u posting this

below is mine = 12 watts a side - chinese built - i ran it into the ground over a 5 or 6 year period with music on in the office 12 hours a day - its picture here with aussie made phillips miniwatts - however since then i upgraded to russian military tubes with great results

it's out of action at the moment tho - i think it blew a cap and i have to take it in for a service

as for speakers i am surprised you are using b&W speakers - in my experience they are not really suited to low powered tubes as they are ususally low spl rating - a set i have are 86db per watt and the little tube amp struggles to drive them - i get much better results with some vintage horn loaded sansui speakers i have which are rated at 100db per watt

[IMG][/IMG]

AVF Regular
    Here's mine, Aussie made and hammered for years

mathsguy and avtek like this.

+1 Not only do they sound good - but nothing beats the smell of a valve amp hard at work!

I have to use cans to get my fix now but one day I’m going to come away from a garage sale with a dusty late 60s Leak or Quad...

If you are on a budget - you can get good audio bang for buck by upgrading the caps and power supply before shelling out for those Cold War era tubes.

avtek likes this.

AVF Regular

I have one of these with a set of nice Kef 2 way speakers. In my last place it was my kitchen/dining disco set up. It made me happy. New place has a big open living area so it doesn't get as much use.

(note: FATMAN!)
    Fatman and avtek like this.

Super Moderator
    I have a vape shop named after me , a mod, an atty and now a bloody amp.... and STILL no spondoolies for the FM ... its wrong I tells ye ... WRONG!

On the sound side of things , in the back room as a project I have a Hammond Organ ( no not a B3 lol) with an inbuilt Leslie speaker and tube amp , to be gutted one day for the next project ... I do listen to most of my music on a 1965 Kreisler gramophone
    avtek and Mr Young like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular

Tube Amp recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by avtek View Post
    mcyl - great to see u posting this

below is mine = 12 watts a side - chinese built - i ran it into the ground over a 5 or 6 year period with music on in the office 12 hours a day - its picture here with aussie made phillips miniwatts - however since then i upgraded to russian military tubes with great results

it's out of action at the moment tho - i think it blew a cap and i have to take it in for a service

as for speakers i am surprised you are using b&W speakers - in my experience they are not really suited to low powered tubes as they are ususally low spl rating - a set i have are 86db per watt and the little tube amp struggles to drive them - i get much better results with some vintage horn loaded sansui speakers i have which are rated at 100db per watt

[IMG][/IMG]
    They certainly ain't, the 685s are small but they can take a lot of juice. I've had them for years now paired with something much older, a pair of 50w single channels I built from jay car kits back in '98 :-)

But like with vaping gear I don't own a whole lot of audio gear and will have to keep an eye out on a set of speakers....actually I have one in mind but dunno how well it'll go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MCYL; 25-01-16 at 10:27 PM.