Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is my Kbox Mini carking it?

AVF Regular

Is my Kbox Mini carking it?

Hi guys.

I've been having some weird problems with my Kangertech Subox mini kit. It seems to be with the Mod.

It started a couple of weeks ago. Random burnt flavours in my hits. No dry hits... plenty of vapour production. A couple of ( un-inhaled ) hits later and the taste would go away. Of course after a few yucky hits the the coils were wrecked and tasted disgusting. They were factory coils. I thought maybe a bad batch. I went through five coils in a week. I was vaping 70/30 VG/PG at 18W on a 0.5 Ohm coil.

So I ran out of 0.5 factory coils. I had a 1.2 Ohm coil so I popped it in and ran it at 8W. Same deal.

I have two subtank mini atomizers and it happened on both.

Fortunately the subtanks come with RBAs so I wicked them up with new cotton and 0.5 coils and vaped them at 18W. Same deal.

I had a look at the results and the coils and cotton didn't look too bad. The cotton was not burnt and the coils weren't particularly gunky. The wick was a tan colour pretty much the same as my juice. The coils were browned a bit, a kind of goldish colour, but no black gunk or chunks of carbon.

I rebuilt the RBA and backed off on the Watts. Now it works but here's the weird bit. I'm getting good vapour and no burnt taste on a 0.5 coil. At 8 Watts! It's vaping like it used to at 18W.

Is this a problem anyone else has experienced?

Is it going to blow up in my face?
    Last edited by Bassman; 24-03-16 at 06:26 PM.

AVF Regular
    I'm thinking that the ohm reading is jumping around. If it "sees" a higher reading for a short while then it will try to apply more volts.

Check and clean the thread and pin in the 510 connector. Make sure the pin has not been pushed in. Make sure the subtanks are making a good connection. While you are at it, check and clean the battery contacts and make sure the batteries are in good order.

Make a habit of looking at the resistance reading on the screen before you vape in case there's something going on.

Because the subtanks don't leak on the 510 connector at all, and the maintenance requirements of the Kbox mini are so minimal, it's easy to forget that we need to clean and maintain everything occasionally.

Edit: I'll add that I've dropped and smashed my Sub Box kit all over the place for months and it's still working fine. It did become erratic at one stage and I feared for its health, but a long overdue clean and wipe of all contacts seems to have made the gremlins go away.

Edit 2: Regarding being able to run it lower watts and still get good vapour: Yes, these coils do amazingly well at lower power, especially if you give them some time warm up - this is about the power we used to run bottom coil devices at - eg protanks etc. Plus there's the fact that at lower watts and on lower ohm coils the Kbox mini switches into average PWM mode, so it's considerably hotter than the same setting on RMS PWM or a constant voltage (flat voltage) device. This is only likely to happen below 10 or 11 watts on a 0.5 ohm device, so not a big deal under normal circumstances.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 24-03-16 at 06:54 PM.
    Bassman likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I've been keeping an eye on the Ohm reading and it has been stable. Of course I can't read it whilst vaping so who knows.

I will give it a clean though. I have to admit I've never actually cleaned the mod end of the connection. It has never really occurred to me to do that! Hopefully that will fix me up.

Thanks for the sage advice, I'll let you know how I go.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post

Edit: I'll add that I've dropped and smashed my Sub Box kit all over the place for months and it's still working fine. It did become erratic at one stage and I feared for its health, but a long overdue clean and wipe of all contacts seems to have made the gremlins go away.
    Yeah, I can't believe the pounding my rig has endured.

What is your method of cleaning the contacts? I'm assuming some alcohol and a Q-tip will do the job. I give the tanks a good soak in warm water with a bit of detergent and they come up fine after an alcohol wipe. Obviously not applicable to the mod containing the electronics as it does. Is a mild abrasive ( like a green scourer ) overkill?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    Yeah, I can't believe the pounding my rig has endured.

What is your method of cleaning the contacts? I'm assuming some alcohol and a Q-tip will do the job. I give the tanks a good soak in warm water with a bit of detergent and they come up fine after an alcohol wipe. Obviously not applicable to the mod containing the electronics as it does. Is a mild abrasive ( like a green scourer ) overkill?
    No don't use a scourer on anything. Yes just something like a Q-tip with alcohol or some other cleaning solution is fine. I've found most contact problems are caused by a bit of grit or dirt on the center pin. Often just the corner of a screwed up tissue is all that's required to give it a wipe. When I'm filling I put the air control base sitting upright on the center pin so the RBA section stays level and hopefully stops any liquid running over the O-ring and making a mess when I screw it back on.

In this case the potential is there to pick up a bit of fine dirt on the centre pin and transfer it to the 510 connector. Since it's really small it usually just has the effect of making the resistance bounce around a bit.

I've dropped my Sub Box onto concrete a few times. If it lands on the bottom on the door side it transfers the force through to the top part bending it up. The door then slips up and down easily. I got the plastic handle of a screwdriver and tapped the top down a bit till it meets the door properly again. No more slipping.

Apart from that everything else seems to be rock solid and can stand up to the punishment: at least it doesn't seem to affect the electronics inside so yes it's proving to be a very impact resistant rig. It's a very good setup for very little money. My next rig will probably be one of the temperature controlled ones but I'm not in any hurry. Maybe if hOhmtech come out with something that looks a bit better and is reasonably priced.
    Bassman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Completely different device but I'm having very similar issues with my RX. Was going OK but then had issues with the centre pin caused by using a tfv4 which appently it's pin is too long and excessively pushes down on the mods pin. As some suggested I made up a spacer, worked a treat for all of 30 mins. Now I'm running 35 watts at 130 C which is way down on where it should be, doesn't matter what tank coil etc.

Perhaps a clean is in order.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Before and after...

Yeah. Maybe it was a bit dirty.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    Before and after...

Yeah. Maybe it was a bit dirty.
    LOL, yeah that will do it. Those black specs of stuff are like... a message.... hahaha.

If you were still having trouble I was going to say also check the thread and connectors inside the base where the RBA/OCC coils screw in. Hopefully it's running fine for you now though ;-)

AVF Regular
    So far so good. Going to do a deep clean on the tanks too anyway, they are due for it.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    As a footnote, if anyone ends up reading this thread with similar problems, don't forget to clean your chimney well after a dry or burnt hit.

I meticulously cleaned my tanks. I reamed out the chimneys with a Q-tip and found a reasonable amount of black gunk in there. Which could have dripped back down onto my coil and added nastiness to my vape.

I live and learn.

And my sub box is tasting great.
    Last edited by Bassman; 30-03-16 at 11:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast