Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: EVic VTC Mini Fire Button Issue

AVF Regular

EVic VTC Mini Fire Button Issue

Hi All;

I started having an issue with my vtc mini's fire button over the course this week. At first sometimes it just wouldn't respond to some presses. Then it began to stick a bit. Finally it Stopped working at all. After opening it up and making sure it was clean and nothing out of alignment its working again....kinda.

The fire button has lost it's "click". When you press the button there is no resistance, no movement, no feeling of a switch being pressed. It is almost like a touch sensor as it requires almost no pressure.

Has anyone else had the button fail like this? I searched around but didn't see anything.

AVF Regular
    Mine has a similar problem right from brand new. Takes two pushes to fire it. Pain is the ass of a mod i reckon.
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Regular
    I suppose they are out of warranty
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    I suppose they are out of warranty
    Mine is anyway. It's sad too because I really like the mod and have had no issues with it before
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Same button gets stuck very annoying and quite dangerous I reckon

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
    Mine has a similar problem right from brand new. Takes two pushes to fire it. Pain is the ass of a mod i reckon.
    Sounds like it was faulty and should have gone back.

The "click" bit is a creased metal diaphragm in these switches, and it's usually held in a plastic housing that is welded together. If the switch gets repeatedly hit (dropping) or if you have a grip like King Kong, the welds holding the housing together break and nothing lines up properly inside. If these buttons don't "click" then they are broken.
    Fatman likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Sounds like it was faulty and should have gone back.

The "click" bit is a creased metal diaphragm in these switches, and it's usually held in a plastic housing that is welded together. If the switch gets repeatedly hit (dropping) or if you have a grip like King Kong, the welds holding the housing together break and nothing lines up properly inside. If these buttons don't "click" then they are broken.
    Yeah that is pretty much what I figured. I was just surprised that it happened without some kind of major jolt or such.

AVF Regular
    So it stopped working completely yesterday. And being a tinkerer I decided to have a look at the actual state of the switch. I popped off the cover of the switch to expose the actual mechanism.
    The diaphragm had completely inverted (The switch mechanism is a lens shaped diaphragm. When you press it the centre goes down making contact then pops back when you release it). So a little bit of pressure to reform it and restore the springiness and it works just fine again.

I'm still not sure how it happened exactly. Perhaps I was pressing to hard when it was sticking or maybe just a dodgy diaphragm.
    It's going to be an at home device from now one though do to it being "repaired"
    ermoon2 likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've heard of this happening before.
    the diaphragm will fail again if you cannot replace it. Will make a suitable home mod for now, but what I'd do is get a nice wood mech mod blank, strip the guts out of the VTC mini and make your own �� What's the worst that's gunna happen? At least you can replace the switch with something else

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nanokatz View Post
    So it stopped working completely yesterday. And being a tinkerer I decided to have a look at the actual state of the switch. I popped off the cover of the switch to expose the actual mechanism.
    The diaphragm had completely inverted (The switch mechanism is a lens shaped diaphragm. When you press it the centre goes down making contact then pops back when you release it). So a little bit of pressure to reform it and restore the springiness and it works just fine again.

I'm still not sure how it happened exactly. Perhaps I was pressing to hard when it was sticking or maybe just a dodgy diaphragm.
    It's going to be an at home device from now one though do to it being "repaired"
    That's an OK fix for now. Holmesy is on the right track - re purpose the board on something else eventually. If I had a 3D printer I'd probably make something that looked like an asthma inhaler. Think it would fool the vape police? :-)

I'm also thinking about insta/poly morph plastic and some plaster moulds...
    Holmesy likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast