Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Tootle pufs on a Melo 3 mini

AVF Regular

Tootle pufs on a Melo 3 mini

Yesterday I received an Istick Pico with a Melo 3 Mini, the two coils that came with the kit were a .3ohm & a .5ohm. I couldn't handle the vaping on these low ohm coils so I built two coils, one a 1.3ohm & a 1ohm. My usual vapes are a couple of Egrips & a Rose stumpy clone, I have the air flows on these at their widest settings because I only do direct lung inhales because it seems milder on the throat than mouth to lung.
    I found when trying the same technique on the Melo by turning the airflow down & the vapour production was very poor also the vapour & tank started getting too warm.
    I read in some post here that you have to pass plenty of air over sub-ohm coils for them to work properly so I opened up the airflow & took very deep inhales, you could hear the air rushing in the air inlet like you hear in the video reviews & the coils & tank did start to work a lot better.
    I always thought the only difference between a sub-ohm tank & say a Kayfun or Rose type attys is the very large airflows so I would be able to buy a sub-ohm tank & just close down the airflow & treat it like my other tanks but after my short experience with the Melo mini there must be something else going on because closing the airflow on my Melo with a 1.3 ohm coils was a very disappointing weak vape.
    I'm not worried about the Melo because I ordered a Kabuki clone to use on the Pico because it uses the same coils as my Aspire Plato that I will buy when they come into stock. (I'm after a grey one)
    My main question from this long story is will the Plato that is supposed to be for MTL tootle puffers right up to wide open sub-ohming be as hard to tame as the Melo to get me to the nice vapes I get with the Egrips & Rose? The Rose I will still use but charging built in batteries drives me nuts:-)
    Stomp likes this.

AVF Regular
    Anything really designed for sub ohm has a much wider chimney. Choking off the airflow via the ring doesn't make it a mtl atty
    The only true way is buy one or the other. Mtling on a sub ohm tank is a moist hot n heavy. People do it but its not designed for it. The chimney is reduced on a mtl atty.
    The answer to yr question lies in that chimney diameter
    merexy and rodbam like this.

AVF Regular
    Ah that makes sense Stomp, thanks:-).
    Stomp likes this.

AVF Regular
    You should be sweet with the Plato because the sub-ohm coils that you buy for it have their own chimney built into them (presumably fairly wide) but the chimney that you use with the Aspire Nautilus coils is a separate piece.
    rodbam likes this.

AVF Regular
    The Plato is a fantastic vape with the Nautilus coils. I've had mine for 2 weeks and the only downside I've found with the unit is it's a bit of a pain to put a new coil in. I love everything else about it. I haven't tried the sub ohm coil, I probably never will, but with the 1.8ohm Nautilus coil its a great vape.
    rodbam and shar22 like this.
    Just get an EPM.

AVF Regular
    That's great news Ducky & Adam I was getting really worried after my experience with the Melo mini sub ohm tank. Your right about the chimney change on the Plato I forgot all about that, I can't wait to get mine.
    One thing I find strange is the Melo being too full on for me yet I've just put my Zenith dripper on the Pico & the vape is as mild as my Egrips & Rose with good vapour too. The main problem with dripping at my age is forgetting to keep it topped up:-)

AVF Regular
    I've been using the melo 3 today and it's definitely not a mtl style device. But in saying that it's not bad at 30-35 watts with the. 5 ohm. I still like my cubis for mtl because of the tighter draw. But i also got a sense herakles hydra too and while it's a little airy for mtl, i can do it with it. Great flavour at 32-40watts
    rodbam likes this.

AVF Regular
    I should say that i don't mind the airy quality to the melo either

AVF Regular
    I did try the .5ohm coil in the Melo Gurishka & it was too full on even when I turned the airflow & watts down. I could get a vape out of it turned down but there was no point because it didn't compare to what I normally vape. My old lungs need lots of TLC:-)
    gurishka likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've got a Joyetech Cubis that is more a MTL draw for sure. It's a medium draw through the thing (even with the air vent wide open) and while it has it's quirks, it's not a bad tank. I'm running it with the Clapton coil in it.

I bought a Sense Herakles Hydra yesterday and that's fairly airy, even with the smallest air hole. But I find you could do both, though it's more DL.
    rodbam likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast