Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Temp control on a MTL atty

AVF Regular

Temp control on a MTL atty

Does anyone use temp control with a MTL atty like a Kayfun lite or a Rose type atty? I can't use the sub ohm tanks because they are too full on for me even though I do lung hits I use a more restricted air flow for a leisurely 4sec inhale with moderate vapour.
    Also what gauge wire NI 200 should I get to make coils for these MTL attys so they are not too big?
    Can I use temp control with higher sub ohms like .3ohm or .4ohm?
    Thanks.

AVF Regular
    Mtl atties don't have a lot of room and using Ni you'd need a lot of wire. Try Ti or SS if your mod can use it. Some KF styled atties have problems as TC require robust electrical connections, those that use a spring to carry current work but the temps are way off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fabricator4 and rodbam like this.

AVF Regular
    I've used it on a kayfun, tilemahos, HF shorty and pico.

Works fine.

Its the mod that needs to be able to read and regulate at ultra low resistances.

RDNA40, evic mini and ipv d2 all held their ground without any issues.

Then i went back to standard 1ohm kanthal builds and mech mods, cause you don't burn shit at 12-15W.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    Does anyone use temp control with a MTL atty like a Kayfun lite or a Rose type atty? I can't use the sub ohm tanks because they are too full on for me even though I do lung hits I use a more restricted air flow for a leisurely 4sec inhale with moderate vapour.
    Also what gauge wire NI 200 should I get to make coils for these MTL attys so they are not too big?
    Can I use temp control with higher sub ohms like .3ohm or .4ohm?
    Thanks.
    As already mentioned, it's more the practical aspects of fitting an Ni200 coil in a small atomiser section that is the main problem. (Because nickel has such a low resistance to start with.) There's no reason that it wouldn't work fine apart from that.

Temperature control really comes into it's own for RDAs where the saturation of wicks can vary from sopping to almost dry. If you're happy with MTL and VW, temperature control isn't going to give you much except protection if you vape the tank dry, and maybe (and arguably) better battery life.

Edit: there's also another way TC might protect you. Sometimes at night when I'm doing mtl and working on the computer or some other project I take longer and slower puffs. This allows the coil to overheat and it's very annoying, to say the least. If this is you, then Temperature Control may help in this situation as well. I'll let you know as soon as my VTC mini arrives ;-)
    Last edited by fabricator4; 22-04-16 at 02:22 PM.
    rodbam likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    30g ni200 is available, and it might be the better choice if space for the coil is short:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...200-resistance
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I've had good results with SS 316L - 28 AWG in my Rose . . . . Spaced coil 2.5 mm ID - 6/7 wraps - Especially with some juices that are heat sensitive ie can loose taste - or change taste the more they are heated. SS much easier to work with . . . Comes out around 0.7 ohms . . . Fine on an EVIC VTC . . .
    fabricator4 and rodbam like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bk_renesis View Post
    Then i went back to standard 1ohm kanthal builds and mech mods, cause you don't burn shit at 12-15W.
    That's why I never even bothered trying. More faffing around for naught.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    Trying to build with 30 gauge is a PITA! I've had lots of luck with twisted 30 gauge nickel/kanthal.

It brings the resistance up so you don't need so many wraps. It stiffens up the coil so you can wick it without it turning into a mess. And it temp controls just fine.

You do have to adjust your temp down, as the calibration is all off, but if you treat it as just a number instead of a temperature, and adjust to taste.............
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular

Temp control on a MTL atty

I had a quick specs check. the evic VTC range is(0.05-1ohm)
    You'd need to account for the atomizers resistance as well
    2mm dia coil, 8 wraps with 28g works out to be 0.08ohm add about 0.1 for the KF parts it should work on a TCR of ~600
    Just to be on the safe side start you watt limiter at 15w and gradually move up.

At 28g the Ni is pretty soft. Draw it through thumb and screw drive a few times to work harden first.

Alternatively Ti 26g works a treat.

I have an ExProm and a Rose. Both are finicky at best on TC with SS316L but works fine on Ti wire.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MCYL; 22-04-16 at 06:35 PM.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks MC, BK, Fab, Melb, Northerner,& Laurie:-) I might wait to hear how Fab gets on with his VTC mini before I jump in to TC as it seems to be quite a learning curve especially with the smaller decks on MTL attys. I just can't handle the air flow required to get a vape out of the Melo 3 mini I got with my pico mod that's why wondered about MTL attys.
    Thanks again all for helping:-)
    fabricator4 and laurie9300 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast