Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is this an acceptable coil build?

AVF Regular

Is this an acceptable coil build?

First time I changed out the coils in the Kanger dripbox.
    I used 2x 0.5ohm pre-built packet coils. I checked the coils on an ohm reader and it's showing 0.36ohm?
    What needs to be fixed up so its closer to 0.25?

I haven't fired/pulsed/squashed it together with tweezers yet.

Cheers

AVF Regular
    When dealing with such low resistances so many things can cause an increase like you have. It could be the resistance of the attie base, a screw or post a bit dirty, coils not exactly .05 ohm or your ohm reader not as exact as what people think they are. The only way to know for sure is to break it all down and check the resistance of all of the pieces ie the coils, base individually

AVF Regular
    Regardless of the resistance... How does it Vape?

That's all that really matters.
    Peter

My last cigarette... 3rd April 2014

AVF Regular
    prebuilt coils and you haven't fired yet. The resistance will change once you heat the wire for the first time, if you wind your own and use a miniblowtorch then you've already heated it and you get a more accurate reading. If you've used something like a subtank you might have noticed the coils always read higher till they've been fired.
    Hoofprint likes this.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    prebuilt coils and you haven't fired yet. The resistance will change once you heat the wire for the first time, if you wind your own and use a miniblowtorch then you've already heated it and you get a more accurate reading. If you've used something like a subtank you might have noticed the coils always read higher till they've been fired.
    Hmmm, I just pulsed it a few times, and the resistance has gone to 0.43 on my vtc mini and 1.27 on the ohm reader??
    WTF??
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    THIS +100

never trust your readings till you have fired. the lower you go the bigger the swing.

as sludge said if your an avid coil builder a butane mini blowtorch costs around $15 from bunnings and makes life easier for working out hotspots

AVF Regular
    Does the Ohm meter read 0.0 when you short out the terminals? A lot of multimeters do not, unless they have a zero function button. It's reading the internal resistance of the ohm meter, which you have to subtract from the reading of the coil.

Two .5 ohm coils in parallel should be reading 0.25 ohms. I think you've got a contact problem on the posts. Sometimes when you have two wires in one post the contact screw pinches one but doesn't doesn't tighten down on the other. Give it a tweak.

If it still doesn't work you might need to clean the wires at the contact points.

The only problem I can see with the build is the left coil has *slightly* longer leg lengths. This will give it a very slightly higher resistance, so slightly more current will go through the other coil. It's not enough to cause any major problems though.
    Hoofprint likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Well the post screw on top was loose so it's now reading 0.35
    Even though the dripbox coils are supposed to be 0.2, in all the reviews they were just over 0.3 when they were tested so it should be ok.
    I just wanted to put new coils on and raise them so they were in line with the air holes.
    fabricator4 and Midlife like this.

AVF Regular
    Close enough mate. Wick her up and see how she goes 😎

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Well I wicked it up and I gotta say it's a lot quieter than the original coils. No more loud crackling and
    hot liquid flying everywhere!
    fabricator4 and trumpy955 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast