Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By disley
  • 1 Post By gurishka
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By muscovyduckling
  • 1 Post By fabricator4

Thread: Eleaf iStick 40w dead? repairable?

AVF Regular

Eleaf iStick 40w dead? repairable?

Hey there, got myself a iStick TC40w a few months ago, started having issues with it saying atmoiser short to the point this is all id get, now it seems to have completely died, nothing shows on the screen. Ive opened it up and nothing looks burnt, is this a common problem and can it be repaired? i havent disconnected the battery and re connected to see if that helps, would it? Any help would be appreciated.

If its due for the bin what other similar sized box mods are a better option?

AVF Regular
    They are cheap disposable mods, buy another or something else you like.
    trumpy955 likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'd have to look at it closely to let you know what's wrong with the board. If the batteries have fully discharged then it may well be a throwaway. Although it could be salvaged maybe. The very small smd parts are a pain in the ass to fix and would require a very competent tech.
    If you have a multimeter check the dc voltage in the batteries.. Let us know what you find
    Last edited by gurishka; 10-05-16 at 02:39 PM.
    hoekone likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gurishka View Post
    I'd have to look at it closely to let you know what's wrong with the board. If the batteries have fully discharged then it may well be a throwaway. Although it could be salvaged maybe. The very small smd parts are a pain in the ass to fix and would require a very competent tech.
    If you have a multimeter check the dc voltage in the batteries.. Let us know what you find
    SMD: You do need a very fine point soldering iron and good eyes. I wouldn't attempt anything with more than three legs on it these days. I've got everything required except for the good eyes these days, dammit.
    gurishka likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    If it goes in the bin and you decide to get something different, the Cuboid Mini mod (internal battery) or the IPV D3 (single 18650 battery) are about the same size. The iStick Pico mod is probably about the same price as an iStick 40, it has a removable battery but I'm not sure on the dimensions.
    ermoon2 and gurishka like this.

AVF Regular
    Heres some pics of the internals

I think the battery should be ok, i was thinking of using the battery if i cant fix it, can i re-use the battery in another device?

AVF Regular
    The battery has connection tabs which you'll have to take off to use it. But again I'd be checking for voltage. If it's dropped below the minimum working then it won't recharge. Otherwise desolder one end of the battery from the board and resolder it. See if it reboots.

I can't make out much but it could be your usb connection might have died too? I'd be checking power flow and continuity with my multimeter.

AVF Regular
    The battery has connection tabs which you'll have to take off to use it. But again I'd be checking for voltage. If it's dropped below the minimum working then it won't recharge. Otherwise desolder one end of the battery from the board and resolder it. See if it reboots.

I can't make out much but it could be your usb connection might have died too? I'd be checking power flow and continuity with my multimeter.
    Ill give what you have said a go, its really not that old (about 4 months at date of death) and im not a large vaper, i think i charged it maybe 5 times. It actually died while charging, well after i looked at it after being on charge it became non functional.

AVF Regular
    Hmm.. That could be ominous. Wonder if the chip shorted out.

AVF Regular
    The only thing that stands out to me is that the battery is not flat. If that bulging curvature is what it appears to be, it's looks sus to me. Definitely check the volts across that battery. If it's dead I would remove the battery completely and put a source of 3.7 volts on the mod and see if it boots up then.
    gurishka likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.