Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tigas
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By Tigas
  • 1 Post By Fractal

Thread: DNA40 Weak battery

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    626

    DNA40 Weak battery

    Hey guys,

    So my Galactika isn't playing nice and often shows fully charged batteries as being half charged or empty. Upon firing it will flash weak battery.

    On good days the battery is indicated to be at half and before firing at my dialed in wattage (aroind 4.2ish volts), it starts off lower around 3.8v then kicks to my dialled in wattage.

    So far iv'e tried different batteries and tested their capacity, tested two different Rda's (one with 22mm adapter and one direct to 510) and cleaned the contacts. Solder points on the battery pos and neg look solid so not sure what else I can do.

    Any recommendations?
    666 likes this.

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigas View Post
    Hey guys,

    So my Galactika isn't playing nice and often shows fully charged batteries as being half charged or empty. Upon firing it will flash weak battery.

    On good days the battery is indicated to be at half and before firing at my dialed in wattage (aroind 4.2ish volts), it starts off lower around 3.8v then kicks to my dialled in wattage.

    So far iv'e tried different batteries and tested their capacity, tested two different Rda's (one with 22mm adapter and one direct to 510) and cleaned the contacts. Solder points on the battery pos and neg look solid so not sure what else I can do.

    Any recommendations?
    Not really, apart from checking that the battery contacts in the mod and the batteries are clean which I think you would have done already. Maybe apply some contact grease to the battery contacts.

    What batteries are you using, what wattage, and what resistance is the coil?
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Not really, apart from checking that the battery contacts in the mod and the batteries are clean which I think you would have done already. Maybe apply some contact grease to the battery contacts.

    What batteries are you using, what wattage, and what resistance is the coil?
    Cheers for the input man. Yup, contacts cleaned with isopropyl and then conductive grease. I've tested old vtc4s, new vtc5s, samsung 25rs. Trying to run a 0.7 dual coil at 26w so it's a relatively tame build. That being said, 12.5w with a 1.2 ohm build will still come up with weak battery.

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigas View Post
    Cheers for the input man. Yup, contacts cleaned with isopropyl and then conductive grease. I've tested old vtc4s, new vtc5s, samsung 25rs. Trying to run a 0.7 dual coil at 26w so it's a relatively tame build. That being said, 12.5w with a 1.2 ohm build will still come up with weak battery.
    26W is 6.9 amps but 12.5 watts is only 3.4 amps. Even a China re-wrap would not have any trouble with that.

    If the ohmmeter in the device it reading right then it's something on the power input side of things. A broken wire, dry joint, or something else not making proper contact. If it's under warranty shoot it back to the supplier. If it's less than one year old then contact the supplier anyway. If neither of those then pull it apart and see if you can find the problem - there's a chance it may be an easy fix. Wash down the circuit board with electronics cleaner (the isopropyl alcohol) and inspect for dry joints and broken stuff.
    Tigas likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    626
    The ohm reading is definetely reading right. Out of warranty now so I guess cracking it open is my only option. Appreciate the advice, will check in after I've got things hopefully sorted.
    fabricator4 likes this.

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Coast, NSW
    Posts
    1,071
    If you're pulling it apart, also check for bad solder joints or failing wiring between the battery contacts and the board, and the 510 and the board. Time for the multimeter!

    Seeing as it's detecting resistance ok, you've already cleaned the battery contacts, and it's having some flakeyness detecting the battery charge even when not under load - it sounds like the culprit is more likely to be between the battery contacts and the board.

    Any sort of unexpected voltage drop (like a "kinda dodgy but not completely broken" solder joint at the battery or the 510) will make the DNA40 throw a "weak battery" error, regardless of the actual condition of the battery or the build it's firing.
    Tigas likes this.
    These things.

    I have some things.
    I vape them.

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
    If you're pulling it apart, also check for bad solder joints or failing wiring between the battery contacts and the board, and the 510 and the board. Time for the multimeter!

    Seeing as it's detecting resistance ok, you've already cleaned the battery contacts, and it's having some flakeyness detecting the battery charge even when not under load - it sounds like the culprit is more likely to be between the battery contacts and the board.

    Any sort of unexpected voltage drop (like a "kinda dodgy but not completely broken" solder joint at the battery or the 510) will make the DNA40 throw a "weak battery" error, regardless of the actual condition of the battery or the build it's firing.
    Thanks man, sorry I didn't see this initially. Mod is on its way to Italy for a check up, maybe even put the new button in as well .

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Posts
    2,298
    Was it one of the first DNA40 boards?
    With any luck, they will swap it out, for one with newer firmware.

    Evolv's battery bar is constantly updating.
    Depending on your resent settings.
    As your battery gets low, soft limiting chimes in,
    to give you a little more time to get home in your car and recharge it.
    As the battery gets low, and soft limiting chimes in, the battery bar will appear to jump up.
    This is often mistaken for a flaky battery bar.

    But the weak battery thing may be a bigger problem,
    another good reason for them to swap out the board.

    I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

    Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid



 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 11:58 AM.