Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Wires explained !

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    No, NiCr is used power only ... SS can be used for both
    Yeah I probably confused the issue by even talking about the TCR for Ni80. Ni80 can not do TC - it would require accuracy and stability down to 0.001 ohms which we just don't have and will probably never have. Ohmtech might have something, but that's a completely different technology.
    VapeLikeKing505 likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I love TC ever since I got my first Evic VT. Used the Ni and Ti coils in it but they were fairly ordinary. Got into building, Ni first, every coil I made was too low. Moved to Ti, really springy and hard to work with but better than Ni. Then one day I got a hot leg which did cause a small flame, so that was the end of that.

Then I got SS 22g. Just wow. Of course I needed a new mod as evic didn't do SS. It is easy to work with, resistance isn't stupid low, flavour etc all good. My coils lasts for months.
    SS is hands down the best TC wire.
    Cat likes this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Has anyone seen any Stainless Steel Ribbon wire out there in the wild?
    Been trying Kanthal ribbon lately, & liking the flavour.
    If anyone spots some, don't keep it a secret.
    Tell us so we can give it a burl.
    Cat likes this.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire
    Anything I write on AVF is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the AVF rules: http://forums.aussievapers.com/forum...ions-bans.html
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)

AVF Regular
    So... I'm hitting up the eVic VT 60W with the pre-installed 0.2ohm nickel coil. Unsafe? Should I be switching it out for the 0.4ohm titanium coil?
    So far, I'm getting nothing but good flavour and good clouds... 40w @ 480℉ (pity it doesn't display ℃...)

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    So... I'm hitting up the eVic VT 60W with the pre-installed 0.2ohm nickel coil. Unsafe? Should I be switching it out for the 0.4ohm titanium coil?
    So far, I'm getting nothing but good flavour and good clouds... 40w @ 480℉ (pity it doesn't display ℃...)
    It's probably fine. Some people are allergic to nickel and we know it decomposes, possibly at vaping temperatures. I wouldn't recommend dry burning nickel OR titanium.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I stick to Kanthal A1 wattage mode and SS316L in Temp or Wattage mode.
    Cat likes this.

Super Moderator

Is this the one?

eVic-VT - Joyetech

It shows temperature in ℃, perhaps it's just a round-robin thing?
    staceman101 likes this.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

There isn't enough room to list my gear

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Is this the one?

eVic-VT - Joyetech

It shows temperature in ℃, perhaps it's just a round-robin thing?
    Yep... just had to scroll right through to the end of ℉.

Cheers.

gtadmin likes this.

AVF Regular
    I come back to be all like "heeeeeey I've got some new wires on the way, and btw - NiFe30 is awesome for TC" and find there's a whole thread here. Cool .

Yeah. So NiFe30 is great - BUT there's a whole lot of different brands and suppliers, and all the alloys are slightly different so they require different TCR values / csv files. FUN!

The Dicodes recommended Resistherm stuff is listed in Steam Engine as NiFe30 (Resistherm).

Stealthvape.co.uk have their own NiFe30, listed in Steam Engine as NiFe30 (Stealthvape). The curve is totally different to Resistherm - much steeper. Don't use the Resistherm settings with it.

NiFe30 from Zivipf.de is a third variety - it's in Steam Engine under Nifethal 70 (Alloy120). You can probably also guess from this that the NiFe48 on Zivipf.de is Nifethal 52 (Alloy52).

In general - it feels a lot like "a bit softer Kanthal" to work with, and like Kanthal, it isn't springy at all. It's still not as soft as Ni200 though - I've had no trouble at all mounting NiFe30 in various attys, and it hasn't snapped when being trapped under screws. Being a TC wire, of course it's spaced coil territory here.

The TCR curve for the Stealthvape and Zivipf varieties is quite steep (it changes resistance quite drastically when heated) - much more so than stainless steel. So it's really stable in TC - it acts more like Ni200 (which, for all it's numerous faults - Ni200 DOES do TC really well). I've been running this stuff (the Stealthvape in particular) for a while now, and I've found it less temperamental and more consistent going between ambient temperature extremes than stainless steel 316L.

Resistances are still low due to the high nickel content - but not as crazy low as Ni200. Coil for coil - double the Ni200, or about a third of SS316L, and that's a very rough ballpark. Too low to safely use on a mech (not that you would), but might not create an immediate hard short were you to accidentally put the wrong atty on one.

For Power mode and Dry Burning (non-TC use) - the jury is still out. Theoretically it MIGHT be ok, the iron content MAY prevent the nickel from degrading into a hot toxic mess. BIG FAT HUGE MAYBE. Personally, I wouldn't do it (and don't) - the nickel content is still very high (~70%) - so that's still a lot of potential for nastyness should that theory be incorrect. If you want to switch hit it's safer to use stainless steel varieties until some actual testing has been done. I also wouldn't dry burn it for the same reasons (potential for toxicity).

Taste is subjective - but I'm not getting any weird metallic nickel tang off NiFe30. I haven't read the same complaints about flavour from others as I did with Ni200 either - however NiFe30 isn't really in wide spread use, so the user base is much smaller.

I like NiFe30. I think it's a nice middle ground between the bulletproof TC stability of Ni200, while not being a complete pain in the D to work with. And it might - if theory holds - be less toxic than Ni200 should something go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely_Whiplash View Post
    Has anyone seen any Stainless Steel Ribbon wire out there in the wild?
    Been trying Kanthal ribbon lately, & liking the flavour.
    If anyone spots some, don't keep it a secret.
    Tell us so we can give it a burl.
    Yes - but not locally (Australia is like America... "You need wire? We have both kinds - cable stayed bridge gauge Kanthal AND space elevator cable gauge Kanthal!" )

Zivipf.de have smaller sizes in SS304 (V2A... perfect for releasing the Dance Virus with) or SS317L (V4A), and Crazy Wire Company in the UK do some larger sizes in SS316L.

Both Ni200 and Ti are both known to be toxic when overheated... but that's what temp control is for!

That's why mods top out around 300 degrees Celsius or so (... and whatever the equivalent is in crazy alien brine units) - it's to stop those types of wires from overheating in the first place (which is one reason why you should never use Ni200 or Titanium without temperature control, and should never attempt to dry burn them!).

If you're using Ni200 (or Titanium) in temp control, it's not dropping out of temp control, and it's vaping great, and tasting great - then you're not overheating those wires and you're using them in the safest manner possible.

Long term your best bet safety wise is to probably move to a tank (and mod) setup that has an option for stainless steel coils (the original VT60 does not support Temp Control with Stainless Steel, and it's not firmware upgradable - though it can use them in Power mode just fine - and it's safe to use stainless steel that way), but I wouldn't go immediately dropping what you've got if it's working just fine and rushing out to panic buy a new setup (at least, not until some hard data comes out). Think of it as "features to look for next time" ("next time" is never far away in this hobby anyway ).

While we know for sure those wires (Ni200 and Ti) are toxic when overheated (and to never use them without temp control) - we don't have any hard data yet saying they're super nasty when used as designed.

If ever you do fire those coils outside of temperature control though (say, it the mod drops out of TC for some unknown reason - the early run VT60s used to occasionally) it'd play it safe and toss that coil. A single faceful of red hot Ni200 isn't going to kill you (hell, I've copped more than a few in the early days of TC!), but you wouldn't want to keep vaping it repeatedly after that.
    Last edited by Fractal; 05-06-17 at 06:12 AM.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Yup, the vape mesh company (your second link)is awesome, they have all kinds of crazy stuff that people don't even realise exists​ or that they need yet I ordered some boring bog standard round 25g 430 SS off them the other week...should be here this week, sunshine west permitting. Not bad prices either. 3.50 for 50m, 8 postage.. that'll last me a little while Think I've only just passed halfway on the 30m roll of 316L I got from Steam over a year ago..

You are not kidding about the diff in TCR between dicodes and stealth vape...320 vs 500...I had heard of NiFe30 over time but the Ni part put me off it, and well I went straight from Ni (I don't miss wrapping it) to SS and stopped looking for tc wires, until 430 came along, and even then I've dragged my feet until the other week....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 05-06-17 at 06:47 AM.
    laurie9300, disley, DocM and 1 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast