Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By muscovyduckling
  • 2 Post By OldMateVape

Thread: Assistance with new KangerTech TopBox Mini

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Assistance with new KangerTech TopBox Mini

Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the incorrect area.

I currently have a KangerTech TopBox Mini using a 0.5ohm SS Coil. I also have in their 50/50% juice (1.8%).

I have an Aspire ICR 18650 3.7V Li-ion battery.

I'm feeling a bit out of my depth. I've primed the coil and filled the tank with juice. I just literally have no idea what to put the settings at. I have it set to 'SS' for the coil, which I assume is correct for the stainless steel coil. I'm just more concerned about the battery.

I have the temp at 100c just to start, but I'm confused with the other settings. I presume the 0.58ohms is just that, but why are the watts so high (75.0W)?

Regardless of all of that(!): -

1. Is the battery safe to use? I read that IMR are better? Or should it be fine?
    2. Is the setup of juice/coil/battery about right?

Appreciate any advice!

Old Mate.

AVF Regular
    Whoa, do you get dry hits? Or what problems do you exactly having? The SS coils are for the VW mode meaning wattage mode. The TC (temperature control) mode you're currently using is usually for nickel coils. The kangertech coils usually have temperature range printed on them, try changing the mode on your mod and use the wattage range recommended on the coil

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk
    ~ JepunKô

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMateVape View Post
    Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the incorrect area.

I currently have a KangerTech TopBox Mini using a 0.5ohm SS Coil. I also have in their 50/50% juice (1.8%).

I have an Aspire ICR 18650 3.7V Li-ion battery.

I'm feeling a bit out of my depth. I've primed the coil and filled the tank with juice. I just literally have no idea what to put the settings at. I have it set to 'SS' for the coil, which I assume is correct for the stainless steel coil. I'm just more concerned about the battery.

I have the temp at 100c just to start, but I'm confused with the other settings. I presume the 0.58ohms is just that, but why are the watts so high (75.0W)?

Regardless of all of that(!): -

1. Is the battery safe to use? I read that IMR are better? Or should it be fine?

Appreciate any advice!

Old Mate.
    Ok first your battery is fine the aspire batteries are sold for ecigs and included in some of their kits.

Your juice is fine to 50/50 is probably the most common type supplied

Second Kanger coils all say SS (SSOCC actually) on them but that does not mean they are stainless steel I am not even sure Kanger makes a stainless steel coil, the easiest way to tell what type you have is by the O ring on the coil bottom if it is red then its not for temp control. Blue O ring means its ni200 and is for temp control but they are 0.15 ohms so it wont be that.

What I would, if not for temp control, do is get into your menu on the topbox, yes I know that instructions are hard to read, and change it to variable watts mode (VW) once you have done this the temp will have vanished and you will be able to drop the watts. On all kanger coils there is a reccomended wattage and with a o.5 ohm coil it is 15-60 watts you will find about 30 watts is plenty any more and you will start to lose the flavor of your juice.

As to why the watts are so high some mods use the highest setting as standard in temp control. The wattage settings are not as important, when using temp control, because the mod automatically drops the power once the temp has been reached.

Hope this helps you
    Last edited by captive; 27-05-16 at 12:49 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMateVape View Post

ICR is cobalt chemistry for the cathode: High-Power Cobalt-Based Lithium-ion Battery - Battery University.
    This is generally the less safe chemistry because when things do go wrong it has a much greater likelihood of venting with very high temperatures and flame. It's generally advised that you should use them in a regulated (not mechanical) mod of some kind however you still need to be sure that you are not using them over the rated amps (and this it the hard part)

IMR uses manganese chemistry for the cathode and is considered safer because it tends to not run so hot and is therefore less likely to be damaged and vent, so it can handle higher currents. In the case that it does vent (ALL batteries of any type have the potential to vent when damaged) then it normally does not involve flame and the high temperatures associated with ICR cells.

The Aspire ICR 1800 mAh batteries (and I have no idea if that's what we are talking about here) are rated by Aspire at 40A. This is crazy high for an ICR battery and most people would not consider this a true rating from manufacturer. Battery Mooch in the US did some testing and recorded battery temperatures over 100C at these currents, something you definitely do not want to do yourself under any circumstances: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...esults.680381/

A lot of vape shops seem to be selling these Aspire batteries based on the 40amp rating, and they are selling them for use in high power mods (for the purpose of this advice, I consider anything over 20 watts to be "high power", which includes most things sold these days... I would not buy this battery.

Not really, no.

You have to understand power as it applied to the coil, and you have to understand temperature control and how it works.

For that battery under temperature control I would recommend that you set the wattage to no more than 22 watts if possible. This is the maximum power that will be applied to the coil. If you are using stainless steel (SS) coils then you need the mode to be set in SS temperature control mode (which you apparently have done). A reasonable temperature to set might be 200 to 220 degrees C, but you should start low at 175C and work your way up until you get a good result. Because of the lower wattage setting there might be a delay in the coil coming up to a good working temperature.

There is a trap with temperature control, in that if the mod mistakenly thinks the coil resistance is at room temperature, but it's actually hot, it will take the hot resistance reading as base line. It will then try to increase the temperature by a great deal more and burn the juice on the coil. Once it's badly burnt you might as well throw the coil away. If you look at the resistance and it's higher than it should be, let the coil cool to proper room temperature, reset the temperature control (fire the device with no tank on it) and try again. It's vital that the coil be at room temperature when you do this.

It might be better for you to run the SS coils in wattage mode. In this case I recommend that you start at 12 watts and work it up slowly. You might find it works OK at around 16 to 18 watts without burning.

For a new vaper, I would usually recommend the Joyetech AIO or the Innokin Endura T18 as good starter devices. They do mouth to lung style vaping which a smoker is going to be more familiar with (with less airflow), and they are very simple to use.

If you don't feel confident with the Topbox mini kit after reading this, maybe consider getting one of these devices and leave the Topbox kit in the draw for a bit until you feel ready for it.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 27-05-16 at 01:19 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Hey Old Mate

Those Kanger coil names are confusing. They are called SSOCC (Stainless Steel Organic Cotton Coils), but only the casing of the coil is made from SS, that actual wire that makes the acual coil bit inside is NOT made from SS. So you need to use this coil in VW (Variable Wattage) mode.

Start at about 17 watts and work your way up from thee until you find a good wattage that feels right to you. (Like Captive says, this won't be above 30w).

Your Aspire battery will be OK for now, if you don't use it at 75 watts!!!
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by captive View Post
    Second Kanger coils all say SS (SSOCC actually) on them but that does not mean they are stainless steel I am not even sure Kanger makes a stainless steel coil, ......
    I think Busardo said this, the coil itself is Kanthal, must be a SS housing, not the coil. Silly name for it really.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thank you to all. I appreciate your responses.

I'd like to keep trying my KangerTech TopBox Mini. I've learnt a lot over the past week and think I'm starting to get a good handle on the whole ohms/watts/voltage thing.

I have however, moved to an INR18650-25R from Samsung, rather than the Aspire 40A battery. The safer the chemistry, the safer I feel!
    Fatman and fabricator4 like this.