Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By fabricator4

Thread: Cleaning titanium wire

AVF Regular

Cleaning titanium wire

On the recent podcast about boutique wires, the guy selling titanium wire justified the cost because of the plant he's put in place for cleaning the wire. He said that the problem was embedded carbon material from the manufacture (drawing process) and the cleaning process and equipment is proprietary from 3M, and that no one else is doing this.

I found this interesting because I've never seen any evidence of the wire being cleaner after I wipe it with alcohol, but he did also say that wiping it with alcohol would not clean it. He also won't say what's in the cleaning solution, just that it's a proprietary 3M product. Aha.

So today I rebuilt my Theorem with larger diameter titanium coils and on the spur of the moment I grabbed the lens cleaner off my desk instead of the IPA and used that on a tissue to wipe the wire... and was surprised at the large black streaks it left on the tissue. I didn't think the solution could possibly be reacting with the titanium but to check after about six wipes I got a clean tissue and repeated the exercise. No black streaks left on the tissue. Aha twice.

Of course I gave the wire an additional clean with water to remove any residue.

In addition to this there did not seem to be any "run in" period for the wire and KU Rayon. The full flavour was there right from the start. It's also not spitting as much but that could just be the larger diameter coil (3mm instead of 2.5mm). Titanium and KU is pretty good anyway but I normally have to be really careful about applying full power for the first few minutes or it tastes, well, not exactly like it should...

The lens cleaner is "Lens Bright" lens cleaner from Specsavers. It also must a "proprietary formula" because it doesn't state the ingredients on the bottle, just "Alcohol FREE-AR formula". It also says "not for retail sale", unfortunately.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? It kind of smell like the window cleaning solutions, so I tested Ajax spray n'wipe glass cleaner and it worked exactly the same (even better), and smells similar.

The ingredients listing for the spray n'wipe product when I eventually found it online is:

Ingredients (INCI Name) Purpose
    Water Consistency
    Propylene Glycol N-Butyl Ether Cleaning solvent
    Ethanol Cleaning solvent
    Propylene Glycol Cleaning solvent
    C12-14 Alcohol EO 2 :1 Sodium Sulphate Cleaning agent

I think I'll be adding this as the cleaning procedure for all my wires from now on.

Here's the tissue after wiping the wire with the Spray n'Wipe glass cleaner. Note only two wipes were required as opposed to the 6 wipes required for the spectacle cleaner. the wire was only a 4" long piece of 28g titanium (Vapor Tech)

Last edited by fabricator4; 07-06-16 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Added the photo
    merexy and Northerner like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Interesting... hmmmm.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Interesting... hmmmm.
    IKR, and I've been vaping that black crud off the titanium builds for months. I haven't tested my other wires yet but I'm expecting the results for all the Vapor Tech wires will be the same.

Edit: Actually, no. I only get the black carbon stuff (if that's what it is) coming off the titanium wire.

Fits in well with what the guy said on the podcast about titanium wires.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 07-06-16 at 03:50 PM.

AVF Regular
    Carbon doesn't burn anyway. I don't think you'd be inhaling it, it would just get into your wick and ruin it quicker.

Might be oxidization from impurities also.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Carbon doesn't burn anyway. I don't think you'd be inhaling it, it would just get into your wick and ruin it quicker.

Might be oxidization from impurities also.
    Won't burn at the temperatures we're talking about true.

T1 titatanium shouldn't have enough impurities to cause anything like that, just the carbon deposited into the metal from drawing.

The titanium guy was Ari from Sweet Spot Vapors.

AVF Regular
    If it's got the smell of window cleaner I reckon it'll be ammonia. It's a powerful cleaning agent and cheap as chips but it does react with certain metals to give off noxious gases. Might be worth trying but in a well ventilated area.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by merexy View Post
    If it's got the smell of window cleaner I reckon it'll be ammonia. It's a powerful cleaning agent and cheap as chips but it does react with certain metals to give off noxious gases. Might be worth trying but in a well ventilated area.
    No ammonia in the window cleaner (I thought that as well and that's why I wanted to find out with the ingredients were), but some of the cheaper ones may have it. Ammonia does not react with titanium at normal temperatures as far as I can find out though.
    merexy likes this.