AVF Regular

Upgrades from a IPV5

Hi all, Have been a long time lurker but just registered an account to post.
    Was just hoping for some advise on the options i have in terms of switching/upgrading mods.

I have been vaping for about 6 months now and consider myself to be a heavy user.
    My current set up is an IPV5 with a Smok TFV4 tank.
    I use the premade coils with a preference for the quad coils which i vape at 130watts.
    On average, i get through 20 ml of juice minimum in a day.

While my current set up has served me well and i've had no issues atm, i'd really like to buy another unit so at the minimum, have a spare for when the current one fails.
    The IPV5 had so much "hand time" that its already starting to oxidise and im getting brown patches appearing.

Was initially looking at smaller mods that are more portable, ideally something that fits into my jeans pocket.

Ive seen tubular shaped mech mods which i've been advised, that due to my usage characteristics, will not suit me.
    Also, i've no electrical knowledge and am terrible with my hands (so if its a complicated set-up in terms of building the coils and stuff, im screwed).

Have also considered squonking (?) type units but havent been able to find much information on where/what to purchase.

Any help will be great

Also, feel free to bring on the onslaught of "go look through other threads" etc.
    Theres just so much info out there that its super difficult to condense into reliable and usable info.

AVF Regular
    Do you want to continue to vape at that wattage or were you looking at reducing your juice usage?

If you want to stay the same then stay with the TVF4 and coils.

I don't know any bottom fed (squonk) atties that would be very happy at 130 watts, but you should probably check out the Kanger subdrip 160. It's on my wish list.

You probably won't get a really tiny mod that is comfortably capable of 130 watts. I'd probably recommend you look at some of the DNA 200 mods that are out there. Three batteries will give you that kind of power for quite a bit longer, but a bit further from the small unit you are thinking of.

edit: The only tube mod I can think of that will come close what you are currently doing is a good mechanical with the absolute best 30A battery (LG HB6 or HB4) at 100 watts. That would be the absolute limit wrt safety though.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 08-06-16 at 11:38 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Hi Fabricator4, thank you for your reply.

First off, i dont really care at what wattage i vape or or the juice consumption rate.
    Vaping is a nicotine replacement therapy for me. Probably why im smashing through so much juice as well..

I've always just vaped at 130 watts due to the .16 Ohm coil im using now.
    However, if tried a coil with .3 ohms rating and was vaping happily on it at 75 watts.

What tube mods do you suggest? I think thats the best/easiest way for me to go at present. A tube mod with a tank?

AVF Regular
    Most of the tube mods have been left behind in the power stakes. The Lavatube 3 is a DNA 40 device but I haven't seen any revues.

I think I'd recommend a VTC mini (75 watt) and a resonable sub ohm tank, like the Kanger subtank. I'm using the VTC mini and run about 22 to 30 watts on a .5 or .6 ohm coil in the Subtank, vaping about 6ml a day. You might have to increase your nicotine content a little to make up for the lower wattage vape.

The VTC mini is not a tube, but it's quite a small device.

Edit: I really wouldn't recommend a mechanical tube mod for you at this stage. They have no built in safety features and no voltage regulation so you really have to know what you are doing with resistance and amps.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 09-06-16 at 12:10 AM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.