• 1 Post By stylemessiah
  • 1 Post By CCVaper
  • 2 Post By stylemessiah
  • 1 Post By fabricator4

Thread: Can you temp control the cleito/plato 0.4ohm clapton coils

AVF Regular

Can you temp control the cleito/plato 0.4ohm clapton coils

Hey guys,

Ive been on the 0.4ohm plato coils for a few weeks now. Its all I use now. Apparently they're the same coil as used in the cleito tank (just different adapter size).

Is temp control only with Ni200 coils, or can this be done with the Claptons also. I was going to just try it, but its a bit of hassel to change coils on a plato if I burn it out (fortunately they last a long time. Im still on my first coil!).

Thanks

pv
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 17-06-16 at 11:01 PM.

AVF Regular
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post
    Hey guys,

Ive been on the 0.4ohm plato coils for a few weeks now. Its all I use now. Apparently they're the same coil as used in the cleito tank (just different adapter size).

Is temp control only with Ni200 coils, or can this be done with the Claptons also. I was going to just try it, but its a bit of hassel to change coils on a plato if I burn it out (fortunately they last a long time. Im still on my first coil!).

Thanks

pv
    Most claptons use Kanthal wire, or mixed materials in some cases, so not TC friendly. For Kanthal claptons, the Ohmtech hOhmwrecker might be a possibility since it does TC on Kanthal.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Temp control only works with (currently)

Nickel
    Titanium
    Stainless Steel

Wires/Coils

Stainless Steel is the most versatile, as you can use it in temp and non temp control modes

Im going to assume the Cleito/Plato claptons are kanthal, so no temp control for you....

No mainstream coil makers have yet, that ive noticed, made clapton coils out of temp control wires. I know people whove made them, ive just never seen ready to buy TC claptons....
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    stylemessiah likes this.
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

AVF Regular
    Yep, as others have stated - it all depends on the type of metal (as in the alloy) the coil is made from rather than how many strands of wire have been used to make the coil.

If the Clapton coils in question are made from stainless steel it's no problem - you can temp control that. If they're Kanthal, then 'fraid not - it's wattage mode only for those.

I'm not all that up to date on the pre-made heads on offer these days, but you can buy pre-Claptoned wire for making your own coils in not only Kanthal, but also Ni200 and Stainless Steel (the latter two work fine with TC, I use them myself on a regular basis).

To add to the list above, TC is mainly used with Ni200, Titanium and Stainless Steel - but there are also some lesser known TC wires around such as NiFe30, Resistherm (I believe this is a NiFe alloy too), and apparently Platinum (though yet to see this widely available). Doubtful you'll see those in a pre-made head any time soon though .

Ehhhhh... from the review videos of it in action, I wouldn't say hOhmwrecker has actually gotten TC with Kanthal working right just yet. It might work sort of ok in some very limited circumstances, but I wouldn't advise anyone make a purchase of that mod based purely on the expectation of working Kanthal TC.

I personally think TC with Kanthal is a pipe dream with our current tech. Kanthal just doesn't change resistance enough when heated for an electronic device made of cheap Chinese components small enough to fit in your hand to detect. Stainless steel is much more reactive, and look at how flakey that can be with TC (particularly at thicker gauges, when compared to really temperature reactive wires like Ni200). I think the industry would be better served by standardising on Stainless Steel (which can be run both in and out of TC) in place of Kanthal for it's pre-made coil heads going forward. There's absolutely no technical reason they can't make stainless steel Clapton coil heads in place of Kanthal Clapton coil heads.
    Chrisso_88 likes this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
    Yep, as others have stated - it all depends on the type of metal (as in the alloy) the coil is made from rather than how many strands of wire have been used to make the coil.

If the Clapton coils in question are made from stainless steel it's no problem - you can temp control that. If they're Kanthal, then 'fraid not - it's wattage mode only for those.

I'm not all that up to date on the pre-made heads on offer these days, but you can buy pre-Claptoned wire for making your own coils in not only Kanthal, but also Ni200 and Stainless Steel (the latter two work fine with TC, I use them myself on a regular basis).

To add to the list above, TC is mainly used with Ni200, Titanium and Stainless Steel - but there are also some lesser known TC wires around such as NiFe30, Resistherm (I believe this is a NiFe alloy too), and apparently Platinum (though yet to see this widely available). Doubtful you'll see those in a pre-made head any time soon though .

Ehhhhh... from the review videos of it in action, I wouldn't say hOhmwrecker has actually gotten TC with Kanthal working right just yet. It might work sort of ok in some very limited circumstances, but I wouldn't advise anyone make a purchase of that mod based purely on the expectation of working Kanthal TC.

I personally think TC with Kanthal is a pipe dream with our current tech. Kanthal just doesn't change resistance enough when heated for an electronic device made of cheap Chinese components small enough to fit in your hand to detect. Stainless steel is much more reactive, and look at how flakey that can be with TC (particularly at thicker gauges, when compared to really temperature reactive wires like Ni200). I think the industry would be better served by standardising on Stainless Steel (which can be run both in and out of TC) in place of Kanthal for it's pre-made coil heads going forward. There's absolutely no technical reason they can't make stainless steel Clapton coil heads in place of Kanthal Clapton coil heads.
    Cheers you two for the update on premade ss clapton wire, you know how much i love claptons (as in not), so i missed that
    CCVaper likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Cheers you two for the update on premade ss clapton wire, you know how much i love claptons (as in not), so i missed that
    You are such a nerd sometimes and so not hip, it is amazing your pants stay up....on second thoughts.
    That wasn't a personal attack BTW, just a loving thought.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CCVaper View Post
    You are such a nerd sometimes and so not hip, it is amazing your pants stay up....on second thoughts.
    That wasn't a personal attack BTW, just a loving thought.
    I refer you to the subject line of a previous email, involving a mullet...

Hugz as always

Where's Laurie, prolly stuck in an infinite Ibanez searching loop....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    fabricator4 and CCVaper like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
    It does work amazingly well, and most of the problems are down to user error. The device must have perfect contact with the hOhm wrecker. *any* variation will stuff it up. You can't test it on a dry wick, which is what most of the reviewers tried to do as soon as they got it. Lastly, the resistance of the device you use on it has to be within a bee's tadger of zero ohms resistance.

I do blame Ohmtech as well. They could have saved themselves a world of hurt if they'd included this vital information in the manual. To make such a high tech piece and fail in such a fundamental area is just stupid.
    Fractal likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.