Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bk_renesis

Thread: Help. Which silica wick thickness to buy?

AVF Regular

Help. Which silica wick thickness to buy?

Hi,

I have never purchased silica wick before and was wondering what is the most common thickness used by people on the forum? Or are all of the thicknesses used commonly, depending on individual preference and so on...?

Thanks,

Toe.

AVF Regular
    I used to use 2mm in the Russian. Was a good size to double over and coil up. I dont know how common it is anymore with all the fancy cotton types around. I still have bags of the stuff .

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Toe Tall Noob View Post
    Hi,

I have never purchased silica wick before and was wondering what is the most common thickness used by people on the forum? Or are all of the thicknesses used commonly, depending on individual preference and so on...?

Thanks,

Toe.
    It's been a while since I used it much, but 2mm always seemed to be the most versatile. It also depends on the structure too. Some is braided hard like rope, and some is loose and fluffy. The fluffy stuff wicks the best IMO, but the fibres do tend to break more. If you need really small stuff you can normally undo the braid and use one of the three or four thinner pieces that come out. It might be best to get a range of sizes until you know what works for you.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I dunno what's wrong with me. I've never managed to get a bit of silica through a coil and still have it wick properly. I've yet to have a drag without a burnt hit with it. Everyone says mesh is hard, mesh is just a process. For me silica baffles me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    place a small rod (syringe tip, toothpick) parallel with your silica strands, wrap with kanthal, remove rod, attach to atty.

or wrap your coil (contact coil prefereably), loop your silica, run piece of kanthal through the loop of silica and back again like links in a chain, poke kanthal through coil, pull silica through. obviously you coil diameter and silica diameter have to be compatible, like 2 strands of 2mm silica in a 3mm Id coil.

Last edited by bk_renesis; 20-06-16 at 03:51 PM.
    merexy likes this.