Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Clone problem

AVF Regular

Clone problem

Recently I bought a v2.5 TugBoat clone. It's like a v2 Rig, single battery mechanical mod. Problem I am having is the atty has this metal paint taste. I have scrubbed & soaked it several times & the horrid taste still comes back. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem & how did they solve. The atty is actually very nice & easy to apply a build to. So I would love if I could get rid of the taste & enjoy.

AVF Regular
    I chuck em in a container and cover them with flavoured ejuice all over inside and out and let them marinate overnight then next day wash and try, eventually the crap new atty taste gets vaped away, who knows what i'm vaping but sooner or later they come good.
    RodeoRoo likes this.
    *I Use Clones*

AVF Regular
    The paint on the RDA is supposed to be aqueous powdercoat that is food grade and should NOT be putting any flavour into the vape. You could try soaking it in alcohol and give it a good rinse out. If that doesn't work you might have to bite the bullet and get an original, or try a different clone version of the 24mm RDA (think the V2.5 is 24mm)

Try swapping juices or vaping unflavoured to verify the flavour is coming from the RDA.
    rodbam and RodeoRoo like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Ok two very good ideas I hadn't thought about. Except chucking & getting a different atty. It's the risk one takes buying a clone I guess ?

AVF Regular
    Disassembled into a bowl half full of hot water. Sprinkle one heaped teaspoon of Sodium Bicarbonate on it and slowly add vinegar. There will be a lot of fizzing. Let stand overnight. If it still tastes, repeat. Still tastes? Chuck it.
    Fatman and RodeoRoo like this.

AVF Regular
    Three good suggestions now. :-D

Yes, clones can be a bit hit or miss. I mostly buy brushed S/S in that case so the only thing I have worry about is washing any machine coolant residue out.

Is there paint on the inside of the top cap? if there is and it shouldn't be there, you could try sanding it down to the metal if it's just a bit of over spray.

If you're soaking it, it might be worth dismantling the RDA completely - remove the centre post, pins, O-rings, everything.
    merexy and RodeoRoo like this.

AVF Regular
    A good soak in metho then a long rinse in cold water seems to have solved the problem. Thank you for the quick good answers. Hopefully this will be a one off problem. As I am going to stick with name branded gear from this point on. The old saying you get what you pay for is so true in vape gear.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeoRoo View Post
    A good soak in metho then a long rinse in cold water seems to have solved the problem. Thank you for the quick good answers. Hopefully this will be a one off problem. As I am going to stick with name branded gear from this point on. The old saying you get what you pay for is so true in vape gear.
    Good stuff. I had a feeling the alcohol might take away the volatiles if that was what was going on.

Love 'em or hate 'em clones have their place. If the only only step they missed was a clean to get rid of manufacturing residue that's not so bad.
    RodeoRoo likes this.

AVF Regular
    Personally when ever I get a new atty (or pre-loved) I strip it right down and give it an alcohol bath and then run through the ultrasonic cleaner. While this is happening I soak O'rings and seals in e-juice, then I assemble them after letting the atty parts dry. It's a good way to get to know the atty/build and how things work, you also know then that all O'rings etc are correct and fitted in their correct position. Is maybe why I rarely ever have leaks or problems with my atty's (OEM or Clone).

You can have machine oils and gawd knows what left from manufacturing processes on any of them, genuine or clone. I do this with bottles and other everyday items from normal shops, I always wash something before use if I'm putting something in it that I will consume in some way.
    rodbam, fixit, trumpy955 and 1 others like this.
    Every mighty oak tree started life out just as some crazy nut trying to hold it's ground!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalork View Post
    Personally when ever I get a new atty (or pre-loved) I strip it right down and give it an alcohol bath and then run through the ultrasonic cleaner. While this is happening I soak O'rings and seals in e-juice, then I assemble them after letting the atty parts dry. It's a good way to get to know the atty/build and how things work, you also know then that all O'rings etc are correct and fitted in their correct position. Is maybe why I rarely ever have leaks or problems with my atty's (OEM or Clone).

You can have machine oils and gawd knows what left from manufacturing processes on any of them, genuine or clone. I do this with bottles and other everyday items from normal shops, I always wash something before use if I'm putting something in it that I will consume in some way.
    What are you buying to soak them in? I've always wondered what is the best kind or easiest acquired alcohol to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast